Suns sign Rubio

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
SDC

Re: Suns sign Rubio

Post by SDC »

Sad that none of his suns teammates follow him on instagram.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:30 am
Yea Rubio won MVP of the tourney playing some great basketball. Great to see him play well after a down year in Utah and we'll need the kind of on-court leadership he showed the past few weeks. Just want him well rested to make sure he doesn't burn out or get injured.
I hope we see a little bit of the Steve Nash effect where he shows his former team that they made a big mistake letting him go.
"Be Legendary."

SDC

Post by SDC »

Democritus wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:00 am
Well done Ricky...now please be the MVP of our team.
Booker is the MVP.

Rubio will be the leagues MIP next season

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

SDC wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:25 am
I don't know if our team camaraderie can ever recover.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:31 am
ShelC wrote:
Yea Rubio won MVP of the tourney playing some great basketball. Great to see him play well after a down year in Utah and we'll need the kind of on-court leadership he showed the past few weeks. Just want him well rested to make sure he doesn't burn out or get injured.
I hope we see a little bit of the Steve Nash effect where he shows his former team that they made a big mistake letting him go.
There are a lot of Nash parallels here if Rubio shows up and we are a much better team next year. Normally I'd be a bit worried about injury risks from Rubio playing so much summer ball. But I think for a lot of guys, if they aren't playing in summer, they have a tendency to put on weight. So I bet this will bring him into the season in better shape.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:00 pm
SDC wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:25 am
I don't know if our team camaraderie can ever recover.
I bet Lin follows him.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
ShelC wrote:
If were are just talking hope, why not go all in and say you hope it is Nash 2.0 and he gets us +40 wins and is MVP? I know I am hoping for that. :)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:26 pm
Superbone wrote:
ShelC wrote:
If were are just talking hope, why not go all in and say you hope it is Nash 2.0 and he gets us +40 wins and is MVP? I know I am hoping for that. :)
I guess I'm more realistic in my hoping than you are. :P
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:37 pm
Indy wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:26 pm
Superbone wrote:
ShelC wrote:
I guess I'm more realistic in my hoping than you are. :P
:lol:

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Superbone wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Which team? We had him first and let him go to Dallas. Then they let him come back. I guess the Suns had the last laugh and LA got screwed signing him last. Perfect.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

ShelC wrote:
The most encouraging part is that he was daring with his shooting and drives to the rim. If he enters the season with the same mindset and makes some baskets early, he'll command respect from defenses and we'll have a terrific player. If he goes back to his old NBA self, we'll have the feeling that we are playing 4vs5 on half court offense.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Opposing NBA teams never left rubio open.

Cap

Post by Cap »

SDC wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:27 am
Opposing NBA teams never left rubio open.
His reputation as a terrible shooter is because he can’t shoot under pressure. Give him enough room and he can hit an open shot.

pickle

Post by pickle »

I really am not sure why there's so much optimism about Rubio's performance during the world cup. He did put up numbers and I'm sure his passing is going to be sensational, but his shooting is gawd awful. When he launched shots, with the bare minimum of pressure, he would miss very badly, including several airballs that I saw. And his at rim percentage is also awful... so he will not be a threat to score on offense in general which will limit his effectiveness otherwise.

I'm hoping for the best and think that his impact on chemistry will be greater than impact directly on the court.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

You are aware that Rubio was MVP of the entire tournament, right?
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Didn't he shoot like 39% from 3 in the World Cup? Maybe I have that wrong.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:59 am
My understanding is that he had a very high 3 point percentage going into the final game in which he had a bad shooting night from 3.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:25 am
In2ition wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:59 am
My understanding is that he had a very high 3 point percentage going into the final game in which he had a bad shooting night from 3.
Yeah, that just killed Spain...(checks notes...), oh they won. Who knew?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

pickle

Post by pickle »

Yes I'm aware. And also that Giannis, the reigning NBA MVP, played poorly and his team was bounced early. FIBA success is great and I'd love to see Rubio succeed here, believe me. I just don't think the two have a direct link. I saw more than one Spain game, so I'd like to think my opinion wasn't unduly influenced by recency bias with that final game. Without specifically scouting for Rubio, my impression was that he did hit some wide open threes, but also his misses were spectacularly bad, as in, over shot the basket by 2 feet bad. And when he went to the basket and put up shots from within 5 feet, it was pretty clear his at the rim game was lacking. He did show confidence and accuracy in his pull up free throw line jumpers, which was a positive.

Overall I just don't think he's going to be a spot up threat in the NBA and he's not going to get guys back pedaling with fear in their eyes when he attacks the basket. I still love what he brings with the passing and hope that his defense is as advertised.

SDC

Post by SDC »

he was shooting around 47% on threes after the serbia game.