Suns sign Frank Kaminsky

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
MightyMoog

Re: Suns sign Frank Kaminsky

Post by MightyMoog »

AmareIsGod wrote:
MightyMoog wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:36 pm
Also Meh. We’re going to miss Holmes. Kaminsky is a poor mans Saric. Don’t know why we needed both. We need some toughness and rebounding. Was hoping we’d go after someone like faried or cauley-Stein. Or we should’ve just kept Holmes.
Typically bench players that play less minutes are a poor man's version of their starting equivalent position.
More often than not, you want a different skill set out of your BU. Not just a lesser version of the same skill set.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

We really need some defense and athleticism. I already listed my preferences for the vacant big man spot. Frank's a good player, but who's helping Ayton down low?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:32 pm
We really need some defense and athleticism. I already listed my preferences for the vacant big man spot. Frank's a good player, but who's helping Ayton down low?
Aron Baynes.

I really hope he sticks around if only to physically kick Ayton's ass in practice.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:35 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Aron Baynes.

I really hope he sticks around if only to physically kick Ayton's ass in practice.
I meant someone who’ll be playing alongside Ayton. I don’t see Ayton and Baynes sharing the court much.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Anyone sad we didn't retain Holmes and Daniels? They both filled needs on this team.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Didn't Charlotte get offered a lot to trade out of that draft position but they wanted Frank really bad?

BlaCkAdDa

Re: RE: Re: Suns sign Frank Kaminsky

Post by BlaCkAdDa »

iLLmatic wrote:Anyone sad we didn't retain Holmes and Daniels? They both filled needs on this team.
A little but they were part of losing culture... Need to clear house a bit.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:43 pm
MightyMoog wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:36 pm
Also Meh. We’re going to miss Holmes. Kaminsky is a poor mans Saric. Don’t know why we needed both. We need some toughness and rebounding. Was hoping we’d go after someone like faried or cauley-Stein. Or we should’ve just kept Holmes.
Typically bench players that play less minutes are a poor man's version of their starting equivalent position.
AIG has reached a new level of ice cold sarcasm. :lol:
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Ladies and gentlemen, you're new backup PF:

"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:47 pm
Meh...I think I would have preferred Bender at the min. I guess he can shoot. I’m not expecting much playing time for him.
He'll probably be the first big off the bench.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:51 pm
Not sure what the beef is. He's much better than Bender. People really have some odd love fest with Bender. He's SUCKED.
To be honest, Kaminsky has sucked for just about all of his career. He has shown flashes here and there, but nothing sustained. I don't prefer Bender though. I don't think there was any way you could go into next season counting on anything from Bender.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

da_suns_fan wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:07 pm
Why didnt they just keep Richaun Holmes?
I applaud for Holmes for being one of the few bright spots of the 2018-19 season, but he was bad defensively, despite his shot-blocking. And as others have said, Baynes is probably an upgrade.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Shabazz wrote:
Ayton needs to help himself down low. He’s our fucking franchise center. We needed a stretch 4 on the outside. If we need a bruiser for Ayton, just call him a big ass bust right now.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm
I actually came across Frank's name on a FA list and thought he might be a target for us. I would've preferred more defense, athleticism, shotblocking but like Marty said we're stocking up on shooters and mature guys/pros pros.
Kaminsky is another "NBA ready"experienced college player that has struggled considerably.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:16 pm
Agree with it or not, the plan by GM James Jones is clear. We sucked at shooting last season, so he's restocking the roster with guys who can hit 3s and spread the floor. We had too many young rooks who weren't ready to play, so he gets two of the older more mature players in the draft (who can also both shoot 3s). We had horrible ball movement and a stagnant offense, so he grabs a starting PG who can set up all of those shooters.

I don't know whether it will work. But at least it's a plan, and it's based around an actual consistent basketball strategy and not just asset management or perceived individual player value.
Participation award it is, I guess.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:56 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
Aron Baynes.

I meant someone who’ll be playing alongside Ayton. I don’t see Ayton and Baynes sharing the court much.
Exactly. We've loaded up with shooting, which is nice and all, but outside of Ayton and Baynes, there isn't a rebounder to be found on the roster. Zero rim protection too. And a significant lack of athleticism. Those are some of the reasons why I was interested in Jordan Bell.

carey

Post by carey »

Baynes won an Aussie slam dunk competition!
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:39 pm
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:16 pm
Agree with it or not, the plan by GM James Jones is clear. We sucked at shooting last season, so he's restocking the roster with guys who can hit 3s and spread the floor. We had too many young rooks who weren't ready to play, so he gets two of the older more mature players in the draft (who can also both shoot 3s). We had horrible ball movement and a stagnant offense, so he grabs a starting PG who can set up all of those shooters.

I don't know whether it will work. But at least it's a plan, and it's based around an actual consistent basketball strategy and not just asset management or perceived individual player value.
Participation award it is, I guess.
A life of pessimism isn't a fun way to live. Give optimism a try. Worse case, we actually do well and you wonder why you spent so many years with a miserable disposition about the team.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Split T

Post by Split T »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:22 pm
Split T wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:47 pm
Meh...I think I would have preferred Bender at the min. I guess he can shoot. I’m not expecting much playing time for him.
He'll probably be the first big off the bench.
I hope not

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:43 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:56 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
Aron Baynes.

Exactly. We've loaded up with shooting, which is nice and all, but outside of Ayton and Baynes, there isn't a rebounder to be found on the roster. Zero rim protection too. And a significant lack of athleticism. Those are some of the reasons why I was interested in Jordan Bell.
I definitely agree about athleticism and rim protection in the front court, with the exception of Ayton, and honestly it's like he hardly uses his athleticism. I think the per 36 and per 100 numbers for Kaminsky and Saric are pretty decent(not outstanding or great) in rebounding though. Much better than any of the wings.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass