NBA Summer League

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
INFORMER

Re: NBA Summer League

Post by INFORMER »

Actually, Embiid is the perfect example. He is a great player. He isn't just a great center. Karl Anthony Towns is another example. But it has become rarer that a center can be the best player or one of the best players on a winning a team.

For comparison, take Andre Drummond. Super productive. Really good player. But if he is your top or second best player, you're not going very far. You may not even be a playoff team. He is one of the best centers in the league, but he isn't one of the best players in the league.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Well before all that, Ayton has to develop elite skills as a center and make an impact on the actual game and not just put up empty stats. I think part of bringing in Baynes is to help Ayton learn how to alter shots on D, not only someone to bang with or to always chase blocks. Ayton needs to observe someone make and impact on the D.

Indy

Post by Indy »

That is a good point. Drummond is a top 5 center. And it literally gets you nothing, even in the east.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Indy wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:05 pm
That is a good point. Drummond is a top 5 center. And it literally gets you nothing, even in the east.
Drummond a top 5 center? I always thought he is like a slightly better Whiteside. Gets the stats, but doesn't really help the team.

Jokic, Embiid, Towns, Horford, Gobert are for sure better than him. And I think Capela, Gasol, Cousins (if healthy), Turner, Lopez, Nurkic, Vucevic are as well. That's 12 from the top of my head. There are also PFs who play C better than Drummond, like Davis, Aldridge and Green.