Game Day: Suns (1-1) @ Trailblazers (1-1), Sat 10/12/19

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
3rdside

Re: Game Day: Suns (1-1) @ Trailblazers (1-1), Sat 10/12/19

Post by 3rdside »

Awesome .. just needs to find his spots to shoot, anything else is a bonus (and his sneaky craft and better than just a warm body on D is just that).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:32 pm
I loved how the Blazers announcers started talking not even half way into the 4th quarter about how it’s not important for them to win preseason games but it is important for the Suns.
I loved how whenever the Suns did something good, they always found a way of making it positive about the Blazers. Got to respect that commitment, even when they were getting handled at home, while CJ & Dame played 30 minutes a piece and the Suns big 3 sat, haha. It wasn't concerning at all to them, almost like it was the game plan all along.

It was good as a Suns fan since they list to the Blazers by 22 in the preseason last year. I guess it was more important then.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I always find it interesting when any team's role/bench players look so much better than the 1st team. We looked THAT good running our offense, everyone touching the ball and guys just got hot. Still, it's hard to take games like these too seriously because our main guys were out and the Blazers probably weren't as prepared to face our backups. We saw what happened against the Kings when the shots weren't falling. But if we can get that kind of consistency and flow with Rubio, Book and Ayton worked in there, we'll be dangerous. Defensively, I don't see much potential on the interior at the moment, even with Ayton on the floor. Ayton, Frank, Baynes, Dario are just limited athletically and Diallo just isn't that good. They do play hard tho and I wouldn't call us soft.

I liked Kelly attacking, he just needs to keep it under control. Sometimes he forces things on the break or gets a little wild driving to the basket. But we need his speed and slashing ability. He's the only really elite athlete we have. Bridges is a defensive monster and looks fine on offense.

It was good to see Dario break out a bit. 3-3 from three, has been consistent on the boards and gives us another ballhandler in transition.

We seem to have 12 legit players and I could see Monty using all of them depending on matchups, foul situations or simply who's hot. I really like our bench guards even tho Carter can be frustrating on offense. Love his energy and D and Carter, Johnson and Jerome all complement each other and contribute different things. Bridges, Cam, Frank, Baynes...

I'm trying not to get too excited about Jerome but it's hard. He just has an NBA game, hasn't really been affected by the speed or athleticism, tho I think he may wear down this year due to the physicality of the pro game. Cam might as well, tho Cam doesn't seem to play as physically as Jerome. For now tho, he's showing he can make plays for himself and others and the team just seems to play better and play faster when he's on the ball. Even defensively he's held his own I think.

Only been a few games but Cam looks like a deadeye shooter. The shot is perfect and he only needs an inch of space to get it off. Anywhere on the floor, it's a thing of beauty.

I've noticed Frank likes to pump fake and drive but isn't quick enough to really drive past his man. There are times when it looks like he'd be better off launching but it's just part of his game. Still, hard to argue with last night's results.

Another thing evident besides the shooting is the collective IQ of our new guys now. They all just know how to play basketball. I do wonder what our best lineup is or will be. Monty seems to be subbing 3 and 4 guys in and out at a time to keep certain units together instead of mixing and matching.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

"Monty seems to be subbing 3 and 4 guys in and out at a time to keep certain units together instead of mixing and matching."

That's a good sign. This coach appears to have a plan, as opposed to the last several guys who seem to be swinging aimlessly in the dark ...
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Looked good: Oubre, Ty, Cam, Baynes

Looked trash: Tyler, Saric, Carter, Okobo, Kaminsky anywhere not behind the arc

Didn’t look at any box scores before forming those opinions.

Other than a little confidence, I’m not sure how Saric is an upgrade from Bender. They have about the same holes in their games. Saric’s confidence helped him do things that showed up in a box score but I didn’t see anything from him that stood out.

Kaminsky will be a frustrating player to watch if he continues to try and play in the paint and do his atrocious post moves. Keep him outside and draw the defender out. He’s a good shooter outside. 1-6 on 2pt. Gross

I hate watching Tyler Johnson. I’d rather watch Ty Jerome. I don’t care that he had 18. He and his stupid white t shirt did nothing that made me want to see more of.

I like the Baynes acquisition. He’s going to be a good glue guy. I liked what I saw out of Oubre and Bridges.

No reason that Ayton should be sitting. He hasn’t proved anything in this league no warrant resting in preseason. Dumb choice IMO.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Last year, if Booker and Ayton had been sitting in a preseason game, we would have been subject to 20 Josh Jackson bricks. This was a welcome change.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:39 am
:D :twisted: :lol:

https://twitter.com/Dame_Lillard/status/1183211275771248642

The referenced tweet has been deleted but I take it from the comments that some dude lost 1K betting on the Blazers against the Suns.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Could it be possible it was as much of a wake up call to Devin and Ayton that this is how we can play? It doesn't have to an outlier.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:06 pm
Could it be possible it was as much of a wake up call to Devin and Ayton that this is how we can play? It doesn't have to an outlier.
That will be very interesting if that is the reason they sat.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Thanks for the videos, carey and 'bone.

What do you guys think of Diallo? He had a pretty good game last night, but I don't see a ton of potential there. He's a bit undersized for his position; reminds me a bit of Holmes from last year. Good energy big for spot minutes, but not much more.

I don't know what to make of Carter yet. He's playing well compared to expectations, but I'm not sure he's my kind of guard. His defense may come in handy situationally.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I didn't want to start any conspiracy theories but I did think about the possibility Monty and the coaches sat our "Big 3" to show them the difference in ball movement/shooting/energy when they're not on the floor. They must be seeing this kind of thing in practice. Rubio might've been a legit scratch for rest from the international play and the coaches wanting to see more of Carter and Jerome.

Indy

Post by Indy »

This game reminded me so much of our opening game last year. So fun to watch, everyone passing well and hitting over half our 3s.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Diallo was decent on defense, but oh my god he couldn't catch a pass to save his life, or even his a shot +3 feet from the basket. I think Ty hit him 4-5 times with the perfect pass only to have it wasted.

By the way, I know you guys were already saying it in this thread, but Ty looks like he could be our best pure PG before this season is over. Dude knows how to work his way around defenses and find the open shot.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Indy wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:42 pm
Diallo was decent on defense, but oh my god he couldn't catch a pass to save his life, or even his a shot +3 feet from the basket. I think Ty hit him 4-5 times with the perfect pass only to have it wasted.

By the way, I know you guys were already saying it in this thread, but Ty looks like he could be our best pure PG before this season is over. Dude knows how to work his way around defenses and find the open shot.
I don’t see a world where he isn’t eventually at least as good as Malcolm Brogdon. He’s not as good defensively, but is a better playmaker.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:47 pm
Indy wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:42 pm

I don’t see a world where he isn’t eventually at least as good as Malcolm Brogdon. He’s not as good defensively, but is a better playmaker.
That would easily be worth what we paid to get him.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:11 pm
In2ition wrote:
I'm not saying they were sat for that reason, but perhaps they saw something in the game that got them excited to match and work with.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

In2ition wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:55 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:11 pm
In2ition wrote:
I'm not saying they were sat for that reason, but perhaps they saw something in the game that got them excited to match and work with.
I think Monty sat his 3 sure starters so he could have a good look at the rest of the squad. But, you're right that there's a lesson there for those 3.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan