Around the League: Week 2 10/28-11/3

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Around the League: Week 2 10/28-11/3

Post by Split T »

jonh wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:04 pm
Split T wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:44 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:12 am
Split T wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:54 am
Again, that’s easy to say now, but even on this board, a majority preferred Ayton to Doncic before the draft.
Not me. I vocally wanted Luka and have been bummed out since the moment we picked Ayton. But I still want Ayton to succeed and am rooting for him.
Yes, there were still plenty who wanted Luka, just saying it’s not ridiculous that McD picked Ayton.
Yeah, I don't know if I would say it was a majority. But regardless, we have made our bed, and I am fine with moving forward with Ayton (after his 25 game suspension).
I’m just basing it off the poll we did at the time. I checked and it was like 54% Ayton, 44% Luka, and 2% other.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1611

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:18 pm
jonh wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:04 pm
Split T wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:44 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:12 am
Split T wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:54 am
Again, that’s easy to say now, but even on this board, a majority preferred Ayton to Doncic before the draft.
Not me. I vocally wanted Luka and have been bummed out since the moment we picked Ayton. But I still want Ayton to succeed and am rooting for him.
Yes, there were still plenty who wanted Luka, just saying it’s not ridiculous that McD picked Ayton.
Yeah, I don't know if I would say it was a majority. But regardless, we have made our bed, and I am fine with moving forward with Ayton (after his 25 game suspension).
I’m just basing it off the poll we did at the time. I checked and it was like 54% Ayton, 44% Luka, and 2% other.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1611
I read that poll as who do you think the Suns will draft, not who you think will be the better player. But it was close either way.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Hmm, I think Ayton would have been a lot higher in that case. I think almost everyone knew we were taking Ayton...but some people may have interpreted the poll that way, skewing the votes toward Ayton.

Still, while it looks pretty clear that we should have taken Doncic now, it wasn’t so clear before the draft. That’s all I’m saying.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Split T wrote:In retrospect, yes we definitely should have drafted Luka, but I don’t think he had proven he would be a superstar. He’s shown that the concerns about him were wrong, but they were fair at the time. He wasn’t in great shape and wasn’t a great athlete. Even with those concerns, he was clearly worthy of the #1 pick, that draft was just stacked and there were a few players worthy of it.

Drafting Ayton is still defensible to me. He’s good, could be great still. Hoping he’s the Hakeem to Luka’s Jordan.
Was going to say that watching Ayton’s lack of instinct on defence, his lack of hand eye coordination on blocks and his mindset, I really doubt hakeem’s level is possible. And With Davis, Embiid and KAT around - plus Gobert and Jokic - it’s hard to see how he even makes an all NBA team any time soon.

But then watching embiid’s scouting video you realise it’s possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cap

Post by Cap »

I voted Doncic in that poll. :patselfonback:

Split T

Post by Split T »

3rdside wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:45 pm
Split T wrote:In retrospect, yes we definitely should have drafted Luka, but I don’t think he had proven he would be a superstar. He’s shown that the concerns about him were wrong, but they were fair at the time. He wasn’t in great shape and wasn’t a great athlete. Even with those concerns, he was clearly worthy of the #1 pick, that draft was just stacked and there were a few players worthy of it.

Drafting Ayton is still defensible to me. He’s good, could be great still. Hoping he’s the Hakeem to Luka’s Jordan.
Was going to say that watching Ayton’s lack of instinct on defence, his lack of hand eye coordination on blocks and his mindset, I really doubt hakeem’s level is possible. And With Davis, Embiid and KAT around - plus Gobert and Jokic - it’s hard to see how he even makes an all NBA team any time soon.

I’m not saying Ayton will be Hakeem, just like I’m not saying Doncic will be Jordan. My point was no one has an issue with Houston taking Hakeem over Jordan. Portland taking Bowie at #2 is the pick that’s always mentioned. I’m hoping with time, people will see the Ayton pick as solid and defensible, even if Doncic is the better player.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Split T wrote:
3rdside wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:45 pm

I’m not saying Ayton will be Hakeem, just like I’m not saying Doncic will be Jordan. My point was no one has an issue with Houston taking Hakeem over Jordan. Portland taking Bowie at #2 is the pick that’s always mentioned. I’m hoping with time, people will see the Ayton pick as solid and defensible, even if Doncic is the better player.
I can get behind that. And I meant that it’s possible he’ll make all nba teams like embiid, not be a two time MVP like hakeem, for the avoidance..

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I get that many are down on Ayton for a number of reasons, including being suspended and not being Luka last year.

From my eyes, he had worked pretty hard this summer and made noticeable improvements in a number of areas. When he comes back, I look forward to him impressing everyone with the improvements he made and maybe he starts changing people's minds that he was a mistake of a pick.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Blazers are another team people thought would be likely for the playoffs but they off to a rough start. Just lost to the warriors with no Curry, no Draymond, No DLo...yikes!

I think the last few seeds are wide open.

And guess what? With how Ayton looked like in the first game, I think the suns with him are a top 5 team in the west.

YEAH I SAID IT! Fight me!

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:02 pm
I get that many are down on Ayton for a number of reasons, including being suspended and not being Luka last year.

From my eyes, he had worked pretty hard this summer and made noticeable improvements in a number of areas. When he comes back, I look forward to him impressing everyone with the improvements he made and maybe he starts changing people's minds that he was a mistake of a pick.
+1