Game Day: Suns (11-16) @ Thunder (13-14), Fri 12/20/19

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
SDC

Re: Game Day: Suns (11-16) @ Thunder (13-14), Fri 12/20/19

Post by SDC »

What is James Jones waiting for? TJ got another DNP CD.

Last edited by SDC on Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

The Bobster wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:27 pm
4-13 in their last 17 games. That's pretty much 2018-19 all over again.
I disagree. For one thing, last season was 4-24 and game #28 was the cap of a 10 game loosing streak. But more importantly, teams could beat us with only playing hard for 6 minutes last season. They could cruise and goof around the rest of the game. Now, they have to play tough the whole game to beat us. We are significantly better, and significantly better coached. We just have a long way to go.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

I think they were missing a rebounder and shot blocker. Guard penetration is much easier to stop with a shot blocker backing you up.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Too many lineups with missing players that guys weren’t in sync and unable to communicate on D.

SDC

Post by SDC »

virtual9mm wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:42 pm
I think they were missing a rebounder and shot blocker. Guard penetration is much easier to stop with a shot blocker backing you up.
somebody like ayton. :lol:

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

One thing is for sure and has nothing to do with Ayton...our perimeter defense has gotten progressively worse. We're not flying around like we were the first 5-8 game and guards have been lighting us up. You're not going to shut down everyone, but our defensive leaks have turned into a flood.

I don't think we're nearly as a bad as last year in terms of play and style. I just want to see where we are with a fully healthy squad for 20 games. That's the only way to really evaluate things.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

2 pages on a Gameday thread lol. We're back to sucking again.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

ShelC wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:56 am
One thing is for sure and has nothing to do with Ayton...our perimeter defense has gotten progressively worse. We're not flying around like we were the first 5-8 game and guards have been lighting us up. You're not going to shut down everyone, but our defensive leaks have turned into a flood.

I don't think we're nearly as a bad as last year in terms of play and style. I just want to see where we are with a fully healthy squad for 20 games. That's the only way to really evaluate things.
Agreed; our defense has been quite poor lately. Our 3-point shooting also feels like it has been really bad, other than Saric who was 4-6 last night, and Rubae who was 2-3.

Here's the box score if anybody wants it:

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401161068

Split T

Post by Split T »

LazarusLong wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:24 pm
Speaking of draft do-overs, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander would look OK in a Suns uniform (instead of Mikal Bridges) ...
The Ayton/Doncic one is obvious and overstated, but what if we took SGA over Bridges and Isaac over Jackson. Not sure what we do in FA, but an SGA/Booker/Oubre/Isaac/Ayton lineup would be a whole lot of fun!

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

I really don't think Oubre is a starting-calibre SF. I'd like to see them give Bridges a look alongside Ayton and Saric.

I think they move the ball better with Bridges and his defense is much better. And while Oubre scores more he's less efficient at it (and scoring more is really his only advantage over Bridges).

I'm just tired of his mental lapses and questionable shot selection.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Split T wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:51 am
LazarusLong wrote:
Speaking of draft do-overs, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander would look OK in a Suns uniform (instead of Mikal Bridges) ...
The Ayton/Doncic one is obvious and overstated, but what if we took SGA over Bridges and Isaac over Jackson. Not sure what we do in FA, but an SGA/Booker/Oubre/Isaac/Ayton lineup would be a whole lot of fun!
We like to redo drafting as in every player is just a lightbulb to connect. Environment matters. Development matters, Expectations, Defined roles, Confidence building, Offcourt training regimes, Veterans around the team, etc.

The Suns have failed across the board on all this stuff for years, and most kids coming into the league are not wired like Booker, striving against all this stuff. Isaac could have been another Bender (raw talent wasted) and SGA could hace turned Into a Morrii (Too much, too soon) or so... bottom line, we have drafted talented players, but we have sucked on developing them. We fan base should be pushing this point over beating dead horses of X Player vs Y Player drafted here, because Dallas’ Doncic looks geats, but I’m not so sure Phoenix’s Doncic would have turned the same.
Last edited by Aztec Sunsfan on Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SDC

Post by SDC »

The Bobster wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:54 am
I really don't think Oubre is a starting-calibre SF. I'd like to see them give Bridges a look alongside Ayton and Saric.

I think they move the ball better with Bridges and his defense is much better. And while Oubre scores more he's less efficient at it (and scoring more is really his only advantage over Bridges).

I'm just tired of his mental lapses and questionable shot selection.
Oubre has no future with the suns 2 yrs from now the way the team is playing. I'd rather rescue mikal Bridges from Monty's awful decision of making him play with the second unit.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:56 am

Yes, the defense is very concerning. We could not stop the Thunder to save our lives last night. We're not going to win very many games if we can't stop the other team from scoring.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
LazarusLong wrote:
He would look better on our team than Ayton, honestly. Not saying he should have been drafted #1, how much better would we have looked last year with SGA and Booker as our starting back court?

Indy

Post by Indy »

2018 Draft do over

Luka
Trey
SGA
JJJ?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:04 am
Split T wrote:
LazarusLong wrote:
We like to redo drafting as in every player is just a lightbulb to connect. Environment matters. Development matters, Expectations, Defined roles, Confidence building, Offcourt training regimes, Veterans around the team, etc.

The Suns have failed across the board on all this stuff for years, and most kids coming into the league are not wired like Booker, striving against all this stuff. Isaac could have been another Bender (raw talent wasted) and SGA could hace turned Into a Morrii (Too much, too soon) or so... bottom line, we have drafted talented players, but we have sucked on developing them. We fan base should be pushing this point over beating dead horses of X Player vs Y Player drafted here, because Dallas’ Doncic looks geats, but I’m not so sure Phoenix’s Doncic would have turned the same.
I understand what you’re saying, but you’re giving too much credit to the team in these situations. Orlando isn’t exactly known as a great team with a great development staff either. Bender hasn’t all of a sudden become a stud in Milwaukee. Chriss is on team 4 and Jackson is still in the G league. It’s possible Orlando and LA/OKC have done a lot better than the suns would have, but Isaac and SGA are just better at basketball than the guys we took.

I still think the player has more control over how good they are than the team. Especially stars. Doncic is a star, he would have been a star anywhere. SGA looks like a star too, I think he would have succeeded anywhere.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:06 pm
2018 Draft do over

Luka
Trey
SGA
JJJ?
I personally would probably go

Luka - obvious

SGA - Trae may end up the better overall player, but I like SGA/Booker a lot better than Trae/Booker

Ayton/JJJ - Thought about JJJ here. His game definitely fits the modern nba better and he’d look great in Monty’s offense...well maybe I’ve talked myself into JJJ, haha. I still think Ayton can be an All-Star, and if he figures out the defense thing, he’ll be very valuable.

Trae