Suns News: Week 12 1/13-1/19

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: Suns News: Week 12 1/13-1/19

Post by Mori Chu »

Cap wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:57 pm
Too little too late for what? To make the playoffs? Definitely. To win Bone’s bet? Maybe.
I agree that we don't seem likely to make the playoffs. But it is nevertheless true that we are only 2.5 games out of the 8 seed. If we hit a hot streak, we certainly could climb up to the 8th spot. Again, it's more likely that we will miss out given how things have gone so far, but there's still a lot of season left.

https://www.espn.com/nba/standings

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I'm curious what it would take to get Derrick Rose from the Pistons. They've clearly thrown in the towel on this season, but I'm pretty sure they could get decent return on him in a trade since he's on a short favorable contract and can still play at a high level.

The issue I could foresee is his reluctance to take on a 6th man role for this Suns team, which is where we need the most help. If it were a contending team, I don't think he'd complain, but the Suns.. I'm not so sure.

Involving Tyler Johnson is a bit tough.

Pistons: Tyler Johnson, Javon Carter, protected 1st round pick
Suns: Derrick Rose, Tony Snell

?
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:06 pm
I'm curious what it would take to get Derrick Rose from the Pistons. They've clearly thrown in the towel on this season, but I'm pretty sure they could get decent return on him in a trade since he's on a short favorable contract and can still play at a high level.

The issue I could foresee is his reluctance to take on a 6th man role for this Suns team, which is where we need the most help. If it were a contending team, I don't think he'd complain, but the Suns.. I'm not so sure.

?
If he'd be willing to be our 6th man, he'd be a great pickup. A lot of if's though.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

If Portland continues to slide would you offer Oubre or Bridges plus TJ Okobo and 2 firsts for McCollum

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:14 pm
If Portland continues to slide would you offer Oubre or Bridges plus TJ Okobo and 2 firsts for McCollum
Not sure he fills a need. He plays SG and would be redundant with Booker on the court. Plus he sure as hell won't come off the bench. Would you slide him into a SF role as a starter?
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:

?

The Pistons aren't even getting 1st rounders offered for Drummond; I'd be shocked if the Suns gave up a 1st rounder for Rose, although it would fit their recent history of overpaying.

Even if I could get over the whole gang rape thing, I just wouldn't pull the trigger on this one. Save for a few exceptions, I don't want the Suns to use TJ's deal to take on bad money to add marginal talent.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

JeremyG wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:12 pm
SunsRIt wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:33 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:31 pm
Which teams are we jumping?
I’m not talking jumping. I mean our wins.
So let's say our wins jump from 30 this season to 35 next. What does that get us?

If the goal is the playoffs, we have to pass X number of teams to get there. If those teams are progressing at a faster rate than us and have better young cores than us, it becomes harder to pass them. Meaning, we could steadily improve our level of play for 5 straight years and still not crack the 10 seed.
This makes no sense to me. It doesn't matter what the other teams are doing, as long as we keep improving. Winning somewhere between 40 and 50 games is always enough to get to the playoffs. There are always teams falling out of the top 8 as well (Golden State is a great example this year).
My point is that marginal improvement will not get us where we need to go. We need to make a leap at some point. And the fact that teams behind us in their rebuilding plans are improving at faster rates (and showing more promise than we are) makes that leap tougher to achieve.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

What about:

Tyler/Dario/Carter or Elie/top 8-10 protected 1st

For

Aaron Gordon/DJ Augustin

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

INFORMER wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:03 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

?

The Pistons aren't even getting 1st rounders offered for Drummond; I'd be shocked if the Suns gave up a 1st rounder for Rose, although it would fit their recent history of overpaying.

Even if I could get over the whole gang rape thing, I just wouldn't pull the trigger on this one. Save for a few exceptions, I don't want the Suns to use TJ's deal to take on bad money to add marginal talent.
The Pistons aren't getting 1st round offers for Drummond because he's a FA this summer and is reportedly asking for max level money. A smart GM is not going to give up a 1st round pick and then lock down Drummond at $30M+/year because he's not worth that kind of money. Conversely, a smart GM isn't going to give up a 1st round pick to rent Drummond for the next 4 months. So it's not about so much about just giving a 1st round pick for Drummond as it is his expiring contract and future demands that deflate his trade value.

I disagree that Rose is bad money and a marginal talent. $7M this year and another $7M next year for a guy who can still win a game by himself is pretty good value in the NBA right now. I don't necessarily like how he does it, but as a 6th man, with freedom to do Derrick Rose things.. I think it could work.

I'm with you on the off-court stuff with Rose. By common decency standards, he's a POS. Yet, he's beloved by stars across the league, apparently. Kinda weird dynamic.

I think James Jones can't be too patient with Tyler Johnson. Holding and waiting for the perfect deal is straight out of the McD playbook of failure. It probably wont be Derrick Rose, but I think it will be someone like him.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:01 pm
Cap wrote:
Too little too late for what? To make the playoffs? Definitely. To win Bone’s bet? Maybe.
I agree that we don't seem likely to make the playoffs. But it is nevertheless true that we are only 2.5 games out of the 8 seed. If we hit a hot streak, we certainly could climb up to the 8th spot. Again, it's more likely that we will miss out given how things have gone so far, but there's still a lot of season left.

https://www.espn.com/nba/standings
All I know is we aren't going to be tanking in February. Looking at the March & April schedule, I could see us picking up a few extra wins against bad teams that have already given up or good teams that are resting starters.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:52 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:12 pm
SunsRIt wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:33 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:31 pm
Which teams are we jumping?
I’m not talking jumping. I mean our wins.
So let's say our wins jump from 30 this season to 35 next. What does that get us?

If the goal is the playoffs, we have to pass X number of teams to get there. If those teams are progressing at a faster rate than us and have better young cores than us, it becomes harder to pass them. Meaning, we could steadily improve our level of play for 5 straight years and still not crack the 10 seed.
This makes no sense to me. It doesn't matter what the other teams are doing, as long as we keep improving. Winning somewhere between 40 and 50 games is always enough to get to the playoffs. There are always teams falling out of the top 8 as well (Golden State is a great example this year).
My point is that marginal improvement will not get us where we need to go. We need to make a leap at some point. And the fact that teams behind us in their rebuilding plans are improving at faster rates (and showing more promise than we are) makes that leap tougher to achieve.
Yeah, it doesn't matter how many more wins we get if we aren't better than the teams above us. And yes, you can miss the playoffs with 48 wins. Just ask the Suns.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Cap wrote:
virtual9mm wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:52 pm
Indy wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:08 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:13 pm
Wally_West wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:50 pm
Part of me almost wishes we could just get to the offseason already. This season has messed with my emotions so much already. Haha.
We’re better than last year but this year is so much harder. I find myself much much more emotionally invested because they have the talent to be at least a .500 team. I was content to lose the last few years with the crap rosters to get picks so the losses didn’t bother me much.
this
Yes.

Unless they go full on tank mode, I still think they will make a run. But will it be too little too late?
They are at .400 with a fairly easy schedule and many unforced errors. A small improvement could bring them to .500 or even .600 for the rest of the season. They could still reach 45 wins if they find their groove again and hit a 10 game winning streak.

Conversely, they could tank again but I doubt it.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

virtual9mm wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:22 am
Cap wrote:
virtual9mm wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:52 pm
Indy wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:08 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:13 pm

We’re better than last year but this year is so much harder. I find myself much much more emotionally invested because they have the talent to be at least a .500 team. I was content to lose the last few years with the crap rosters to get picks so the losses didn’t bother me much.
this
Yes.

Unless they go full on tank mode, I still think they will make a run. But will it be too little too late?
They are at .400 with a fairly easy schedule and many unforced errors. A small improvement could bring them to .500 or even .600 for the rest of the season. They could still reach 45 wins if they find their groove again and hit a 10 game winning streak.

Conversely, they could tank again but I doubt it.
I agree. I don't think they tank at all this year, as I don't think it would help matters. I also think that they are a few little tweaks away from turning the corner. Their shooting should have been their strength this year, but it's fallen off a cliff the past 20 games or so. I would like to think that it starts to make a comeback soon. I also think there are some small mental hurdles that the team is working through and slowly should learn to overcome, or at least I hope they will.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

55% with both Ayton and Rubio in the lineup. If the team stays mostly healthy, they can be solid the rest of the way.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

These last 6 games (and including the Knicks) are our easiest stretch of the season. So far we are .500 in that. That is a really bad sign.

Cap

Post by Cap »

We’re .310 since that hot start. If we continue that pace we finish with 29 wins.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

This isn't meant as Ayton hate, so please don't take this as that, but I know a lot of people have compared Ayton to David Robinson and this clip doesn't make me think that at all. Ayton isn't trying to kill the rim or make athletic and acrobatic runs at the rim like Robinson did regularly. Seriously, could you imagine Ayton getting 52 pts in a game, let alone 71?
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:01 am
This isn't meant as Ayton hate, so please don't take this as that, but I know a lot of people have compared Ayton to David Robinson and this clip doesn't make me think that at all. Ayton isn't trying to kill the rim or make athletic and acrobatic runs at the rim like Robinson did regularly. Seriously, could you imagine Ayton getting 52 pts in a game, let alone 71?
Holy SHIT. I didn't realize he was such a beast! I only caught his later playing days when I was younger alongside Duncan. He was more finesse. I wish Ayton was half as physical as Robinson. Not only was he jacked but he was just throwing it down on people! Kind of reminds me of a 7ft Shawn Kemp!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:54 am
We’re .310 since that hot start. If we continue that pace we finish with 29 wins.
That would add insult to injury.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:18 am
Cap wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:54 am
That would add insult to injury.
That would be an extremely disappointing season, imo. ;)