NBA Trade Deadline Thread (Thursday Feb 6th 3pm EST)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Ring_Wanted

Re: NBA Trade Deadline Thread (Thursday Feb 6th 3pm EST)

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Split T wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:33 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:08 am
Luke Kennard is fine, but he'll never be better than the first guard off of the bench a few times a month unless he's playing for other dumb franchises, like Detroit and Phoenix.

Giving up a probable lottery pick for him is dumb. The Pels just won the lottery on a 6% chance. There has to be someone better out there than Kennard if they're trading that pick.
There’s no way they don’t protect the pick at least somewhat. I’d be disappointed if we only protect it for partial lottery, should at least be protected for the whole lottery.
Kennard is a nice SG/SF who can handle/playmake and hits 40% 3pt. This team can absolute use this kind of player (even if limited on defense), but his health is suspect and there are more pressing needs, namely a real PF.

It's true that if Kennard was added, finding playing time for Jerome would be way more difficult. Although personally, I wouldn't suffer a lot from this, since I see Jerome as a doomed pick from the beginning; and in this scenario, we'd have a handler at SG/SF, so we could look at a 3D at backup PG (which, in typical Suns fashion, could have been Jevon Carter).

Anyway, no way I'd even consider this unless the picks is lotto protected this year (and doesn't have stupid low protection onwards), because it is clear DET doesn't want to pay the player. So if Kennard helps grabbing the 8 seed, it's fair for DET to get the pick. Otherwise, next year they get a higher chance of landing the asset.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

BTW, I am much more interested by the earlier tweet that said Mikal Bridges is available for a trade. I'd love to know how much other FOs value him, because it might be a good time to sell. Although knowing how things go around, the FO will fail to add real value to the roster, only to see Bridges flourish on his new team.

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:28 am
BTW, I am much more interested by the earlier tweet that said Mikal Bridges is available for a trade. I'd love to know how much other FOs value him, because it might be a good time to sell. Although knowing how things go around, the FO will fail to add real value to the roster, only to see Bridges flourish on his new team.
Didn’t see that. Where was it?

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Detroit is in no mans land. They can’t make the playoffs in the soft east and dont have much direction.
I really hope we take advantage of the fact we have leverage and extract more than Kennard for a first round pick

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Danimal wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:49 am
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:28 am
Didn’t see that. Where was it?
Split posted it (Around the League: Week 15 2/3-2/9). Says Mikal and Saric could be available.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

If the Suns trade for Kennard as it is being reported, it means there is another trade coming. We you still have Tyler Johnson's contract to trade somewhere.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I do like Kennard but do think that's a lot to give up and he doesn't help with athleticism or in the frontcourt. But making that deal does seem to follow the model of trading a pick for a youngish vet who can play right away. "Well Kennard would be just coming out in the draft anyway so it's the same as drafting him". That's a dangerous game to play.

And if you trade away Okobo and Carter, even as rough as they've been, you kill your PG depth unless you just think Rubio, Kennard, Book and Jerome can handle ballhanding duties (assuming no other trades).

And while the front office seems to value high IQ players who can shoot, you can't just pack the roster full them and disregard athleticism and defense. Rubio, Jerome, Saric, Baynes, Frank...

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

The problem with Kennard (besides health) is, once again, opportunity cost. The pick would be better invested in a PF. If you want to use it, look at things like calling ORL and offer Tyler and the pick for Aaron Gordon.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

No big deal. He just has bilateral knee tendinitis. He can sit on the bench and talk to Cam Johnson about his degenerative knees. Would be quite the pairing.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

azsportsfan

Post by azsportsfan »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:58 am
No big deal. He just has bilateral knee tendinitis. He can sit on the bench and talk to Cam Johnson about his degenerative knees. Would be quite the pairing.
You went from tendinitis to degenerative knees. Huh?

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

azsportsfan wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:21 am
AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:58 am
You went from tendinitis to degenerative knees. Huh?
Well, Kennard has tendinitis. Cam Johnson has degenerative knees. What did I say that was out of line? I wasn't calling Kennards knees degenerative.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Kennard seems like a nice player from the clips and stats I'm able to find. But I worry about the fact that he's missing 20+ games with knee problems. That doesn't seem good. Why give up such a prized asset as a 1st-round pick for a guy with a major injury problem? Especially when we don't seem to have a training staff other than WebMD.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

So depressing following this team. I've been among the optimists on the board and even I'm down after the close losses that have the Suns at .400 instead of .600 like they perhaps should be.

What I'd like to see this season is a late run -- just like the Dallas Mavericks the last year they didn't make the playoffs. Run off 10 wins straight or something close to that and not only are you back on the playoff bubble but you're also establishing yourself as a force for years to come.

I still think that the team's potentially a 5 or 6 seed in years to come. The team does need more firepower to be more than that. It's been great to see Ayton grow and spike towards his potential (although he's been inconsistent about it). At some point, he'll grow into his body and then he'll be a force night-in and night-out.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Philly is the team that should be trading for Kennard.

Cap

Post by Cap »

virtual9mm wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:00 am
So depressing following this team. I've been among the optimists on the board and even I'm down after the close losses that have the Suns at .400 instead of .600 like they perhaps should be.
We’re 7-10 in games decided by five or less, same as the overall win percentage.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Cap wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:21 am
virtual9mm wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:00 am
We’re 7-10 in games decided by five or less, same as the overall win percentage.
Very interesting. It doesn't feel like this. And I read a stat regarding how the Suns have lost a huge number of one-possession games.

gosuns

Post by gosuns »

I really hope we can trade for CC.

Split T

Post by Split T »

gosuns wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:39 am
Why? What would you do with Ayton?

gosuns

Post by gosuns »

Split T wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:40 am
gosuns wrote:
Ayton can play with CC. We just need to wear pants with pockets. Not shure the NBA would approve it.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

gosuns wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:45 am
Split T wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:40 am
gosuns wrote:
Ayton can play with CC. We just need to wear pants with pockets. Not shure the NBA would approve it.
??? ....