Suns News: Weeks 16-18 2/10-3/1

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Flagrant Fowl

Re: Suns News: Week 16 2/10-2/16

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Agreed. I doubt he or the Suns want to take any risks with injuries or ailments at this point.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

carey

Post by carey »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:59 pm
There's no reason to take any risks with Oubre. We don't have much to fight for at this point in the season. He should rest as much as he needs. I really don't want to see him aggravate an injury by rushing back.
The Timeline was talking about Oubre getting upwards of $20/$21M when he's a FA in '21 and wondering if we're going to be the team to give it to him.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Love Oubre, but I've always been on the opinion that swings are a dime a dozen. If Mikal and Cam have progressed to the point where they can step in and step up and we can find/draft another swing for depth on the cheap, Oubre prob has to walk. But a lot can happen between now and then.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

ShelC wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:56 am
Love Oubre, but I've always been on the opinion that swings are a dime a dozen. If Mikal and Cam have progressed to the point where they can step in and step up and we can find/draft another swing for depth on the cheap, Oubre prob has to walk. But a lot can happen between now and then.
There are a lot of teams in the league that would disagree with the “dime a dozen” thing. I feel like the DeMarre Carroll/Jordan McRae types are, but ones that can get you a consistent 20 with good D and reliable 3 point shooting are much more rare. OKC, Orlando, the Knicks, etc would kill for an Oubre-level wing.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I mean, we gave away TJ Warren because we had Oubre and Mikal and were drafting Cam. SG/SFs are the most abundant types of players - 6-5 to 6-8 guys who can score and shoot and play some D. Not discounting what Oubre brings to the table and you can't ignore how he's helped the team with his attitude and energy. But how many swings come out in the draft alone whereas teams are dying for cornerstone PGs or bigs?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I'm glad you mentioned Oubre's attitude and energy, Shel, as that is what was missing from your previous analysis. Maybe swings are abundant but you can't forget about what he brings to the team chemistry. I agree about the skills being abundant but Kelly likes being here, he likes his teammates, he's currently the heart and soul of the team. You can't discount that. That's not easy to achieve.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

As expected. :(

An initial exam reveals Phoenix Suns swigman Kelly Oubre Jr. has suffered a torn meniscus in his right knee, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.
"Be Legendary."

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Early report: Oubre has a torn meniscus.

shit ...
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

LazarusLong wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:26 pm

shit ...
Beat you by that much Agent 99.
"Be Legendary."

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:27 pm
LazarusLong wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:26 pm

shit ...
Beat you by that much Agent 99.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Well ... Cam gets added minutes.
And Saric gets to prove he deserves a roster spot with the Suns next year ...

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

LazarusLong wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:30 pm
Well ... Cam gets added minutes.
And Saric gets to prove he deserves a roster spot with the Suns next year ...
Yep, that's the silver lining. At least we weren't in the playoff hunt. It could be worse.
"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

So next season we're playing with Oubre on an expiring contract coming off knee surgery. Sweet!
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Split T

Post by Split T »

Not too worried about a meniscus surgery. Those happen all the time, players come back fine from it. This isn’t anything like an ACL...honestly this could have been much worse.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:55 pm
So next season we're playing with Oubre on an expiring contract coming off knee surgery. Sweet!
I hate that Kelly is hurt and I really do wish we could’ve gotten an extended look at our rotation as-is, but
to me now will be a great time to evaluate how the team will look without Kelly. I’d prefer to trade him for a long term answer at starting PF. If we play well and stay in reasonable contention for a playoff spot til the end, it will only reinforce that he’s a luxury and not a core player for us. I really think Cam and Mikal are our future 3s.

My fear is that Jones uses this going forward as his talking point for standing pat and not making any moves. “Our starting five had the biggest net rating in the league before Kelly went down, and we feel that we need to see that through.”

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I wish he wasn't under contract with the Pels, because Zylan Cheatham would have been a good emergency replacement, imo.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

specialsauce wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:13 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
I hate that Kelly is hurt and I really do wish we could’ve gotten an extended look at our rotation as-is, but
to me now will be a great time to evaluate how the team will look without Kelly. I’d prefer to trade him for a long term answer at starting PF. If we play well and stay in reasonable contention for a playoff spot til the end, it will only reinforce that he’s a luxury and not a core player for us. I really think Cam and Mikal are our future 3s.

My fear is that Jones uses this going forward as his talking point for standing pat and not making any moves. “Our starting five had the biggest net rating in the league before Kelly went down, and we feel that we need to see that through.”

Wow. That sounds almost EXACTLY what he'd say. You sure you aren't James Jones?
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Who do we sign to our next 10 day?
Does this give us n injury exemption at all?

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:19 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:13 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:

Wow. That sounds almost EXACTLY what he'd say. You sure you aren't James Jones?
:D :oops:

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Buyout candidates? Who ya got?
...Crickets...