NBA FA 2020 & Suns FA targets

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: NBA FA 2020 & Suns FA targets

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 6:56 pm
In2ition wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 3:24 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 2:59 pm
In2ition wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:16 pm
I saw a Dubs fan propose that the Warriors may offer their projected top 3 pick and the Iggy trade exception for Oubre.

What do you all think of that? It would be nice to know what the Suns know, and if they actually do have interest from a big dog that they hinted at, and when is it available.
I would be livid if we traded our only real tradeable asset left (everyone else rather doesn't carry enough a salary, or lacks the talent) for a sorry ass draft pick. Fuck draft picks.
If the front office KNOWS ;) ;) that there is a bigtime player that wants to come to Phx in 2021, but you can't resign Oubre if you can sign him, do you think ahead and get that asset ahead of time and free up the money? What if it's this year? (Someone much better than Oubre)
You really think this FO thinks that far ahead? ;)
Honestly, I only expect them to think 5 days ahead. More than that, and it's a organizational migraine.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

Giannis ain’t coming here

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 7:57 pm
Giannis ain’t coming here
Oh man. Are you sure? Total bummer...
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

In2ition wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 3:24 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 2:59 pm
In2ition wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:16 pm
I saw a Dubs fan propose that the Warriors may offer their projected top 3 pick and the Iggy trade exception for Oubre.

What do you all think of that? It would be nice to know what the Suns know, and if they actually do have interest from a big dog that they hinted at, and when is it available.
I would be livid if we traded our only real tradeable asset left (everyone else rather doesn't carry enough a salary, or lacks the talent) for a sorry ass draft pick. Fuck draft picks.
If the front office KNOWS ;) ;) that there is a bigtime player that wants to come to Phx in 2021, but you can't resign Oubre if you can sign him, do you think ahead and get that asset ahead of time and free up the money? What if it's this year? (Someone much better than Oubre)
Well of course then I’d be all for it depending on who that player is. But this front office doesn’t know it’s head from its ass I don’t trust them to be two steps ahead. Every move they’ve made has been basic, bland

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

It's obviously a gamble. The Knicks stripped the roster down and traded Porzingis because they "knew" they were getting 2 max guys like KD and Kyrie and instead ended up with Julius Randle, Taj Gibson and Bobby Portis. A bird in the hand...but if there is a guy who's looking at Phoenix - with Booker and Ayton - and his agent is sending signals he may want to join up?

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Who would it even be? If the cap drops significantly, I don't think stars are going to opt out of max contracts. If a star really wants to come to Phoenix, it might be smarter to build a package around Oubre.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

Oubre expires next year anyways... if someone wants to come we can just let him go. Sure, we get nothing for him, but if we’re adding a star, I think we’d all be ok with it.

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 6:56 am
Who would it even be? If the cap drops significantly, I don't think stars are going to opt out of max contracts. If a star really wants to come to Phoenix, it might be smarter to build a package around Oubre.
this. with the cap situation completely up in the air, it doesn't seem like it would be a good idea. And some will hate this (or at least 1 :P ) but we need someone with Oubre's exuberance on the team playing significant minutes for us. It doesn't have to be him, but it isn't Ayton or Booker or Mikal. I am not sure what kind of guy we would be targeting like that, that we can sign outright.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I agree. You can't discount the energy and personality he brings to the court and lockerroom. You need a little crazy on the team and that can bring it out in others.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't think this is the summer to take a wild swing like that. We know less than ever about the players coming into the draft due to the lack of the NCAA tournament. And the cap is uncertain and will likely go down. And Oubre is a valuable player who likes playing here and brings a lot to the team. I think we'd regret it if we made a risky trade like that in such an uncertain time. I'm content to make signings on the margins and study for the draft and just run the team back next year hoping for improvements in our young guys.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I saw some talk on Twitter about it due to the last dance, but if Kelly channels some inner Rodman and decides to focus on being a “f**k up guy” and doubles down on defense and rebounding, he could become extremely valuable to us. He’s obviously way more gifted offensively than Rodman and we do need his scoring, especially when booker or Ayton are on the bench, but if he wants to be a long term #3 guy, doing the things Booker and Ayton don’t do is the way to become that.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Bunch of fanboys, hide your erections guys

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Speaking of the draft, RJ Hampton is starting to grow on me. He's got his flaws but I love his size, speed/first step, transition game. I think he'd complement Book really well. You have to take his highlights from the NBL with a grain of salt obviously, but he really puts pressure on the defense with his dribble drive ability. His shot doesn't look broken either but he may never be a true offensive threat shooting the ball.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

specialsauce wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 8:30 am

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Sometimes I hate being right. Of course the Suns get screwed.
https://theathletic.com/1827955/2020/05 ... -nba-team/

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

ShelC wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 8:38 am
specialsauce wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 8:30 am
Lollll

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

In2ition wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 11:04 am
Lame paywall

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

specialsauce wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 11:14 am
In2ition wrote:
Lame paywall
Group 4: Bye-bye cap room
Charlotte Hornets, Detroit Pistons, Miami Heat, Phoenix Suns

Phoenix – Phoenix might be impacted as much as any other team in the league by a drop in the salary cap. The Suns projected to have $24 million in a cap room if they declined options on Frank Kaminsky and Cheick Diallo, renounced Dario Saric and Aron Baynes, and waived the non-guaranteed Elie Okobo. Now they project to only have $19 million; getting any more room would likely require cutting into bone.

At $24 million, the Suns were in pretty good shape to land a starting-caliber 4 like Gallinari or Millsap in free agency. Even if the Suns weren’t the first choice of these players, their cash would talk. At $19 million? I’m not so sure. Now it seems like the Suns would be better off targeting guard help with their mid-level exception, re-signing Saric and Baynes, and hanging onto Diallo and Kaminsky – all of which they could do without threatening the luxury tax.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I didn’t really want Gallo or Millsap. Still enough money to get Grant or Wood if we want. Enough to get Bertans as well.

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 11:14 am
In2ition wrote:
Lame paywall
it is worth every penny, especially when you get the 50% of a year. honestly better than anything you read from the local paper or ESPN.