Suns Videos That Make Me Happy

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
3rdside

Re: Suns Videos That Make Me Happy

Post by 3rdside »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:15 am
In the Rejecting the Screen podcast recently, Marion said that he had requested a trade prior to that season. It's too bad it didn't work out, and it's too bad his feelings for the organization deteriorated so badly that he wanted out of the 7SOL time. In my mind, if Sarver hadn't been so cash poor after purchasing the team and had given Joe Johnson the $5 million over the length of his contract like he asked, we would have had a title and they would have been together at least another 3 yrs.
Agreed - but what followed, bad luck and even more bad decision making, conspired to make sure we definitely weren't getting one:

- JJ's fractured eye socket
- Amare's injury
- The two stupid suspensions against SA
- Trading players - Kurt Thomas, Marcin Gortat - for nothing
- Trading draft picks - Luol Deng, Rajon Rondo - for nothing

Revisiting all the bad trades in all their awful glory it's hard not to get worked up about Robert Sarver:

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

In 05-06, KT broke his foot late in the season and came back in the playoffs but wasn't in great shape. I think I remember MikeD being hesitant to use him or limiting his minutes because of this. Also Raja injured his calf early in the Mavs series and missed some games which cost us because we had such little depth. The 05-06 was really one of our better teams, even without Amar'e, in terms of skill, IQ, and defense.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Figured I was missing something .. the KT injury - he got a total of 6 minutes in the 05-06 playoffs and that's it. So no Amare, no KT and Nash still got us to the finals on the back of Marion, Diaw, Bell, Tim Thomas and Barbosa.

The more I think about it, the more the Marion-Shaq trade really was a stupid move as it was Nash making us win with mobile guys around him; Shaq changed our whole style and we really didn't need to do that.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

3rdside wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:50 am
In2ition wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:15 am
In the Rejecting the Screen podcast recently, Marion said that he had requested a trade prior to that season. It's too bad it didn't work out, and it's too bad his feelings for the organization deteriorated so badly that he wanted out of the 7SOL time. In my mind, if Sarver hadn't been so cash poor after purchasing the team and had given Joe Johnson the $5 million over the length of his contract like he asked, we would have had a title and they would have been together at least another 3 yrs.
Agreed - but what followed, bad luck and even more bad decision making, conspired to make sure we definitely weren't getting one:

- JJ's fractured eye socket
- Amare's injury
- The two stupid suspensions against SA
- Trading players - Kurt Thomas, Marcin Gortat - for nothing
- Trading draft picks - Luol Deng, Rajon Rondo - for nothing

Revisiting all the bad trades in all their awful glory it's hard not to get worked up about Robert Sarver:

Oh I agree. The decisions made based on money and against what was best for the team killed the Suns, along with bad luck and injuries.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

3rdside wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:34 am
Figured I was missing something .. the KT injury - he got a total of 6 minutes in the 05-06 playoffs and that's it. So no Amare, no KT and Nash still got us to the finals on the back of Marion, Diaw, Bell, Tim Thomas and Barbosa.

The more I think about it, the more the Marion-Shaq trade really was a stupid move as it was Nash making us win with mobile guys around him; Shaq changed our whole style and we really didn't need to do that.
The funny thing about it to me was that after the '05 season I wrote D'Antoni a hand written letter telling him to not back down from pressure to become more conventional and to double down on what made them special. He never returned with a response, so I hsve no idea if he even read it, haha.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

If I remember correctly, that 07-08 team was in first place when we traded Marion for Shaq or close to it.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I wonder if Ayton will eventually have a career here like Marion's. Finisher, valuable contributor, putting up good numbers, etc. But he's not the engine that makes the train go, so ultimately he is replaceable. And a little underappreciated because he isn't the star folks hoped he would be.

That's certainly how many perceive him now. We will see if DA can eclipse that.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I don't think a 7-1 250lb 20/10 center is as replaceable as a 6-7 SF, even as a good or as important as Shawn was to us. And while Ayton may not be "the engine", we may not need him to be. It's also too early to tell on that, tho it'd be nice if it were that obvious as it's what you hope for in a #1 pick. But Pau Gasol made a fine #2 opposite a legit #1 after he left Memphis.

Cap

Post by Cap »

ShelC wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:40 pm
I don't think a 7-1 250lb 20/10 center is as replaceable as a 6-7 SF, even as a good or as important as Shawn was to us. And while Ayton may not be "the engine", we may not need him to be. It's also too early to tell on that, tho it'd be nice if it were that obvious as it's what you hope for in a #1 pick. But Pau Gasol made a fine #2 opposite a legit #1 after he left Memphis.
Unfortunately, I don’t think Booker is “a legit #1” in the same sense as Kobe.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Cap wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:58 pm
ShelC wrote:
Agreed, which would be a larger issue for us in that case.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:02 pm
Cap wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:58 pm
ShelC wrote:
Agreed, which would be a larger issue for us in that case.
I don't think he has to be if we also have another legit 1b/2.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I just hope the other guys on the team don't feel too much like they're in Rubio's shadow.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

In2ition wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:46 am
3rdside wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:34 am

The funny thing about it to me was that after the '05 season I wrote D'Antoni a hand written letter telling him to not back down from pressure to become more conventional and to double down on what made them special. He never returned with a response, so I hsve no idea if he even read it, haha.
Ha - I wrote to skateboard companies for free stickers as a kid, moved onto political emails to representatives as a grown up and am now writing a project plan for my home town (wishful thinking!), but have never written to a sports club.

Might need to start doing that as I find it hard to believe Sarver isn't totally a lost cause after revisiting the Marion trade.

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

I'm going to pull one out of the past. It was Michael Finley's freshman year, November vs. the Lakers. I was at the arena and we were down 10 points...bummer. Than...Mike in particular pulled a rabbit out of his hat...

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:49 pm
I'm going to pull one out of the past. It was Michael Finley's freshman year, November vs. the Lakers. I was at the arena and we were down 10 points...bummer. Than...Mike in particular pulled a rabbit out of his hat...

<redacted video>
Wow, that was an amazing comeback with a minute to go. I was at a similar game, had to be in the 80s. Suns came back against Boston and I think it was Jeff Cook who hit the game winner if I remember right.
"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
That's a great memory, Vlad. Finley was easily my favorite player on the Suns that year. I thought he would be the star that kept the Suns competitive as Barkley and KJ aged.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:40 am
Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
That's a great memory, Vlad. Finley was easily my favorite player on the Suns that year. I thought he would be the star that kept the Suns competitive as Barkley and KJ aged.
I am still unhappy with the Kidd trade. That basically led to the 'malaise' years. (How sad is it that the malaise years are +25-30 win improvements over our current times?)

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:57 am
O_Gardino wrote:
Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
I am still unhappy with the Kidd trade. That basically led to the 'malaise' years. (How sad is it that the malaise years are +25-30 win improvements over our current times?)
I think it had more to do with the McDyess fiasco than the Kidd trade. We wouldn’t have been better off with Finley instead of Kidd.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:19 am
Indy wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:57 am
O_Gardino wrote:
Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
I think it had more to do with the McDyess fiasco than the Kidd trade. We wouldn’t have been better off with Finley instead of Kidd.
I am unsure how you can definitively say that.

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

Finley and Nash on the Suns... *swoon*