Suns News: Coronavirus Break

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Suns News: Coronavirus Break

Post by Split T »

In Josh Jackson’s defense, he was responding to a fan who was ripping on him. Does he need to take some responsibility for his failures? Of course, but he’s also not exactly wrong about the organization. We haven’t made the playoffs in 10 years, the one good year we had was an accident. Our front office has made mistake after mistake. We haven’t developed young talent(outside of Booker).

It’s funny, we didn’t have the support system(vet leaders, development staff, experienced coaches) a few years ago, but we took immature, inexperienced players with high reward potential. We should have known that would backfire.

Now we seem to have that support system with Jones, Monty, Rubio, Baynes, etc. but we seem to be going after the mature, experienced, low ceiling prospects. I’m curious if Jones makes any changes to his draft strategy. I don’t think we need to take a high ceiling, somewhat risky player, but I actually think we are much better equipped to develop that sort of talent now. Josh Jackson and Márquese Chriss would have fared better joining this current team as rookies.

I like the more established players better anyways (Haliburton, Vassell) but I could see the argument in taking a chance on a guy like RJ Hampton.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:28 pm
In Josh Jackson’s defense, he was responding to a fan who was ripping on him. Does he need to take some responsibility for his failures? Of course, but he’s also not exactly wrong about the organization. We haven’t made the playoffs in 10 years, the one good year we had was an accident. Our front office has made mistake after mistake. We haven’t developed young talent(outside of Booker).

It’s funny, we didn’t have the support system(vet leaders, development staff, experienced coaches) a few years ago, but we took immature, inexperienced players with high reward potential. We should have known that would backfire.

Now we seem to have that support system with Jones, Monty, Rubio, Baynes, etc. but we seem to be going after the mature, experienced, low ceiling prospects. I’m curious if Jones makes any changes to his draft strategy. I don’t think we need to take a high ceiling, somewhat risky player, but I actually think we are much better equipped to develop that sort of talent now. Josh Jackson and Márquese Chriss would have fared better joining this current team as rookies.

I like the more established players better anyways (Haliburton, Vassell) but I could see the argument in taking a chance on a guy like RJ Hampton.
When you are paid millions of dollars to play basketball, you need to be able to take criticism from fans without throwing a fit. Seems like he isn't good at that.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:31 pm
Split T wrote:

When you are paid millions of dollars to play basketball, you need to be able to take criticism from fans without throwing a fit. Seems like he isn't good at that.
Sure, but I think that’s a different issue. What I was trying to show is that Jackson didn’t just offer up his opinion on the suns on his own. It was a response to someone attacking him. Ya he probably should have just kept his mouth shut, but I think he was trying to defend himself more than he was attacking the suns.

Honestly both parties are guilty. Jackson shouldn’t blame the suns for his failures as a basketball player/person, but the suns didn’t actually help him either. Likewise, the suns shouldn’t blame Jackson for their failures as a basketball team, but Jackson also didn’t help them. Both sucked for lots of reasons and neither helped the other get any better.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:

There's a big difference between 15 years and 10 years. At least get your history right if you're going to make an accusation. We went to the WCF 10 years ago.
"Be Legendary."

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:10 pm
We definitely suck and have sucked for a decade. But Josh Jackson fucking blows. The G League my dude? Really? 4th pick in the draft and you can't even come close to cracking the starting lineup. What a wasted talent.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:10 pm
Split T wrote:

There's a big difference between 15 years and 10 years. At least get your history right if you're going to make an accusation. We went to the WCF 10 years ago.
Not really. It was a long time ago. To Josh Jackson it’s the difference between when he was 6 and 11. He probably has very few memories, if any, of the suns being good. Also, while we were good, we still made countless mistakes in those 5 years. That team for sure should have won a title or two from 2005-2010. We butchered Joe Johnson’s exit, we botched Shawn Marion’s exit. We correctly let Amare go, but then botched his replacements. All these moves left us in no position to succeed after Nash left. Dragic and Gerald Green saved us for a season, but then we got in our own way again.

Honestly, that 2004 team was put together and then we slowly killed it year after year. With one exception, whoever built that 2009-2010 team.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:30 am
Jackson is mostly wrong. But it's still bad to send players away with them hating our franchise so much. Jackson isn't the only bitter ex-Sun. We seem to tick off an inordinate number of former players.
And coaches and executives.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:31 pm
Superbone wrote:
Split T wrote:

Not really. It was a long time ago. To Josh Jackson it’s the difference between when he was 6 and 11. He probably has very few memories, if any, of the suns being good. Also, while we were good, we still made countless mistakes in those 5 years. That team for sure should have won a title or two from 2005-2010. We butchered Joe Johnson’s exit, we botched Shawn Marion’s exit. We correctly let Amare go, but then botched his replacements. All these moves left us in no position to succeed after Nash left. Dragic and Gerald Green saved us for a season, but then we got in our own way again.

Honestly, that 2004 team was put together and then we slowly killed it year after year. With one exception, whoever built that 2009-2010 team.
Not really? It's a 50% difference, buddy. :P
"Be Legendary."

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Split T wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Split T wrote:

The revisionist Offseason exercises arrived early this year...

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:12 pm
Split T wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Split T wrote:

Not really? It's a 50% difference, buddy. :P
If you are 25 years old, 10 to 15 years are both just ancient history. :P

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

https://theathletic.com/1905343/2020/07 ... -oubre-jr/

Warriors’ potential offseason target of the week: Kelly Oubre Jr.
Aug. 25 is the next important date on the calendar for the Warriors. That night — rescheduled lottery night — they will finally learn their exact draft positioning. The possibilities aren’t all that expansive. They’ll be somewhere between first and fifth. But that’s not an inconsequential difference.

The fourth or fifth pick would actually have some notable bonuses. It lowers the pressure and salary. First picks carry that first pick tag for the duration of their careers. Fourth picks don’t. It eases a prospect’s burden. Plus they’re paid less initially. The No. 1 pick in this draft is projected to make $46.5 million over his first four seasons. The No. 5 pick is projected to make $30.6 million. That added salary savings, spread over four seasons, is beneficial for a franchise like the Warriors, who are heading towards unprecedented tax territory during uncertain economic times.

But the first pick is the first pick. Even in a down year, if you win the lottery, you control the weeks leading up to the draft. If you fall in love with a top prospect, take him. If you don’t, there’s a good bet one of the 29 teams picking behind you is swooning over someone. That’s trade leverage. You’re no longer offering up a draft pick, but instead a player of their choosing. It’s more tangible.

What does all that have to do with Kelly Oubre Jr., the Phoenix Suns wing who is this week’s selection for the Warriors’ potential offseason target of the week? Lottery night, if the order breaks right for the Warriors, could present several intriguing trade possibilities. The Oubre option — via a pick swap, utilizing the $17.2 million exception — is one of the best among these theoretical paths.
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Interesting....Oubre and say, the 10th pick, for the Ws 5th and a chance at Hayes or Avdija or some other prospect. That's something to think about, especially if we don't expect Oubre back as a FA.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

IMO Josh felt like the Suns gave up on him and was hurt by it so, now he lashes out. It happens all the time in the NBA. Nothing to see here.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Getting arrested and allegedly getting his kid high warrants a team cutting ties with a 2nd yr player IMO. He had reg flags in college, McD took him anyway same with Chriss. Jones got rid of them both. That sends a message that Jones wants a certain kind of player/young person on the roster. That's a culture move. Sorry Jackson, you blew it just the same.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:48 am
Interesting....Oubre and say, the 10th pick, for the Ws 5th and a chance at Hayes or Avdija or some other prospect. That's something to think about, especially if we don't expect Oubre back as a FA.
The Warriors have Andrew Wiggins, and supossedly vey happy about him. Even if the team look at them on separate roles, they would have a similar situation about playing time and rotation duties that we have with Oubre and Bridges. But at least, we have Bridges on a rookie contract and some seniority from Kelly to manage it. Wiggins vs Oubre is an automatic tabloid headline.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I think trading Kelly is a very realistic scenario, but I don't think we would do it for a prospect package. We're trying to compete, not get a bunch of kids.

On value, I wouldn't trade Kelly for the 5th pick in this draft, let alone give up the 10th as well.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Shabazz wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:17 am
I think trading Kelly is a very realistic scenario, but I don't think we would do it for a prospect package. We're trying to compete, not get a bunch of kids.

On value, I wouldn't trade Kelly for the 5th pick in this draft, let alone give up the 10th as well.
Hell no

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:49 am
Getting arrested and allegedly getting his kid high warrants a team cutting ties with a 2nd yr player IMO. He had reg flags in college, McD took him anyway same with Chriss. Jones got rid of them both. That sends a message that Jones wants a certain kind of player/young person on the roster. That's a culture move. Sorry Jackson, you blew it just the same.
Dude is a bonafide loser

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:24 am
Shabazz wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:17 am

Hell no
Risk losing him for nothing then? I get wanting to compete now and all things being equal, I'd like to re-sign him to a nice deal but getting a 5th for him? We have Mikal and/or Cam ready to step in so even taking a younger prospect who could be a PG of the future to learn behind Rubio might make sense. Unless we're trading Oubre for a guy like Markkanen or Aaron Gordon (not my first choice), we could do worse IMO.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I don't think we're in a position to keep playing the Ponzi game of rolling assets into future assets. Sure there's risk, but there's also urgency around competing for a playoff spot next season. I'd much rather go into the season with Kelly and Devin Vassell than Anthony Edwards or Obi Toppin.