Suns News: Coronavirus Break

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Flagrant Fowl

Re: Suns News: Coronavirus Break

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Shabazz wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:17 am
I think trading Kelly is a very realistic scenario, but I don't think we would do it for a prospect package. We're trying to compete, not get a bunch of kids.

On value, I wouldn't trade Kelly for the 5th pick in this draft, let alone give up the 10th as well.
Trade a legitimate starter and 3rd-4th guy on a really good team for the 5th pick in one of the worst drafts in recent memory?

This is a deal straight out of the McD playbook.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't think you dump Oubre for a pick unless you either think that pick could yield a star, or you think you need to start the rebuild over yet again. I don't see why we would do that. I don't believe in mortgaging draft picks for mediocre veterans, but I also don't think we should dump a productive young starting SF for a pick whose expected value is much lower than that.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:49 pm
I don't think you dump Oubre for a pick unless you either think that pick could yield a star, or you think you need to start the rebuild over yet again. I don't see why we would do that. I don't believe in mortgaging draft picks for mediocre veterans, but I also don't think we should dump a productive young starting SF for a pick whose expected value is much lower than that.
But you do run the risk of him walking next summer for nothing (not sure what our cap situation will be, or what he will demand in the open market).

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

For me its more about reallocating assets, similar to last year. We essentially have 3 SFs again in Mikal, Cam and Oubre. Yea we can play small to find minutes for them but are still left with Oubre hitting FA next summer. We're past the complete rebuild IMO and have better roster balance. We need a PF and a future PG, both of whom could be there with that pick. I love Kelly and what he brings but if we know we're not re-signing him to a long term deal, what are the alternatives?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:08 pm
For me its more about reallocating assets, similar to last year. We essentially have 3 SFs again in Mikal, Cam and Oubre. Yea we can play small to find minutes for them but are still left with Oubre hitting FA next summer. We're past the complete rebuild IMO and have better roster balance. We need a PF and a future PG, both of whom could be there with that pick. I love Kelly and what he brings but if we know we're not re-signing him to a long term deal, what are the alternatives?
How do we know that?
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:05 pm
ShelC wrote:
How do we know that?
He isn't saying we know that. He is saying if we the Suns org already knows that.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Yea the "royal we". Without knowing the revenue shortfall or cap projection it's tough to say what the numbers will be. But we know Sarver and he may tell Jones flat out that they're not spending or only spending X amount. Oubre may be a casualty there. Bridges and Ayton have contracts coming up as well. So getting another young player locked in on a rookie deal may not be the worst option.

Split T

Post by Split T »

If specialsauce thinks trading Oubre for the warriors pick is a bad idea, then it’s clearly a bad idea, haha. I’m not moving Oubre for anyone in this draft.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:10 pm
Superbone wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:05 pm
ShelC wrote:
How do we know that?
He isn't saying we know that. He is saying if we the Suns org already knows that.
ShelC wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:18 pm
Yea the "royal we". Without knowing the revenue shortfall or cap projection it's tough to say what the numbers will be. But we know Sarver and he may tell Jones flat out that they're not spending or only spending X amount. Oubre may be a casualty there. Bridges and Ayton have contracts coming up as well. So getting another young player locked in on a rookie deal may not be the worst option.
Got it.
"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

ShelC wrote:
If that’s the case, then trade him for Lauri or Gordon or someone comparable.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:23 pm
If specialsauce thinks trading Oubre for the warriors pick is a bad idea, then it’s clearly a bad idea, haha. I’m not moving Oubre for anyone in this draft.
same here

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:04 pm
ShelC wrote:
If that’s the case, then trade him for Lauri or Gordon or someone comparable.
right

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I only trade Oubre if you don't give up a pick, and you are creating extra cap space for something big, like an AD signing. Then you could use the TPE in a different trade.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:04 pm
Split T wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:23 pm
same here
Agree. I’m not interested in trading our best tangible asset for a mediocre pick in a weak draft going into an offseason where we’re expecting to be competing for a playoff spot in the coming season, not taking a step back in development.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Second those thoughts - after all the Gordon analysis the takeaway is that I’ll keep the prime talent in oubre rather than the chance of talent in a pick or lesser talent in Gordon. Cap space depending of course, but we can do the sums on that next year.

He seems to want to be here, he’s good for chemistry and team identity, the other guys like him ... and the other thing is his 7’2” wingspan. He’s long, and with him, Bridges and Ayton, that could be a lock down front court.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

This was a great story from Al McCoy when interviewed by Gina Mizell about longtime trainer, Joe Proski:
AM: One of the great Joe Proski stories is, when I started with the Suns, he had no assistants. There were no assistant coaches, either. Joe handled all of the travel, and we were traveling commercial. So if we were on the road, he would get all of the boarding passes. Then, as we were heading for our gate, he would hand out the passes. Even in those days, players were never satisfied with the seat assignment that they had. We were in Detroit and heading for the gate, and most all the players were walking with us and I was walking with Joe, and he had all of the cards. He started handing out the boarding passes, and players were saying, “Oh, I don’t want to be in 9C.” or, “I don’t want to be in 4D.” He listened, and pretty soon, he just took all of the boarding passes and threw them up in the air and said, “Good luck. I’ll see you guys on the flight.” I see all these 6-foot guys down on their hands and knees trying to find their boarding passes. One of Joe Proski’s great moves, believe me.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

l loved that part.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

That was a great statement move. I bet they stopped bugging him as much after that. Joe had to book all the flights too? That was way back.

Another statement move that was a favorite of mine was a game way back when Cotton was coaching. I don’t even remember the game now. I just remember the starters sucking to start the game and I got the impression that Cotton didn’t feel they were giving it 100%. He pulled all of the starters at the same time and put in the bench early in the first quarter. That was a statement move if I ever saw one and I thought it was great.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Some updates from Gina:
Newcomer Cameron Payne, who signed with the Suns last week, spoke to the media following practice. Players featured in photographs of the team traveling to Orlando include Devin Booker, Deandre Ayton, Dario Saric, Ty Jerome, Jevon Carter and Kelly Oubre Jr. (who continues to rehab his knee).

“The players don’t get enough credit for how much they want to play,” Williams said.

Williams has been collaborating with the medical and training staffs for “weeks” on how to safely ramp up to game shape while limiting injury risk following such a long hiatus.

Thursday’s practice featured a lot of shooting and conditioning work up and down the floor, Williams said. Workouts with contact are already planned, in addition to scrimmages against Utah (July 23), Boston (July 26) and Toronto (July 28). Coaches must wear masks throughout practices, like they did during individual workouts at Veterans Memorial Coliseum before departing for Orlando.

“We have a plan that we put in place that gives me a bit of structure to use as a template every day,” Williams said. “At the same time, I want to try to feel the gym and see if I can push a little bit more or pull back. …

“I’m probably a bit more cautious than I’ve ever been, just because we’ve had so much time off. But the plan is in place. It may be modified a little bit, but I want to try to listen and learn as much as I can. Because, it’s basically a new season, a new universe for all of us who are trying to get our guys in shape.”

Williams noted players are trying to re-learn the system, and that he purposely put them in situations that were “not as familiar as they were four months ago.”

“I’ve just talked to the guys about the ability to navigate uncertainty is going to be paramount for us, and for every team,” Williams said. “I think the teams that can navigate the gray areas and the anxieties and all of that will be more productive here in Orlando.”
Love the clarity and preparedness from Monty. So much is unknown, just got to plan for everything and control what you can control. Glad we have a steady hand leading the group in this situation. The list of players is kind of telling...we know 2 players caught the 'rona during workouts a few weeks ago, but no mention of Mikal or Cam in Orlando and I think they were part of those initial workouts. So maybe they caught it. Also, no mention of Rubio or Baynes, but both are vets and Rubio has a newborn so I suspect they were give a few days longer to get to Orlando.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

The Bobster wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:06 am
3rdside wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:11 am
Kaminsky's stats are better than I remember but I'd lean Bridges / Johnson starting I think. Kaminsky is slooow..
Kaminski is such a bad defender. I wouldn't play him more than spot minutes.
That is why I would start him. Put Bridges and Ayton next to him to mitigate his deficiencies. And just because he is a starter, it doesn't mean he'll get big minutes.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.