Suns News: Season Resumes

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Suns News: Season Resumes

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:57 am
ShelC wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:00 am
I think Michelle Roberts said next season would be sometime between end of January and early March. Can't have these teams playing until October and then starting up 2 months later. CBA has to be revised, draft, maybe a winter league for rooks and then training camp.
got it. Maybe I remember December from before they knew if they would get to finish this season.
Yeah, I heard December too but the later time frame makes more sense and then gradually scale it back as we come out of the pandemic (I like to dream).
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

This was the tweet I saw but there was also some talk that the league may try for a March start if they think they can get fans into arenas.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/8/14 ... e-solution
Let the Suns in the Playoffs, You Cowards
Phoenix went 8-0 in the Orlando bubble. It was sent home before the postseason anyway. Here’s a way to fix that, and three reasons why the NBA should make it happen.

I have a solution. While the Suns didn’t qualify for the Western Conference play-in game, they should still be allowed to compete. They should take part in a play-in game against the Orlando Magic for the no. 8 seed in the Eastern Conference. This would go against the rules the NBA set up for the bubble restart, but it’d be the best way for the league to handle the awkwardness of a team accomplishing bubble perfection and still coming up short. Here are three reasons why this is the obvious move:
He makes some good points.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Suns are undefeated. We should have a bye for a play-in and play the winner of Portland and Memphis which would determine the 8th seed. Memphis is shorthanded and played terribly in the bubble. No one wants to see them.

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

I think EJ said some version of this on the Suns broadcast, but this could be an incredible opportunity for growth in our young team. The mentality should change that you have to bring it every single night. If we hadn't lost to Golden State and the Pistons during the season, we're in. Don't put yourself in position to be suspended 25 games. All of it mattered. So bring it next year and there's no need for some miracle run at the end of the season just to give yourself a chance.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Only one player who played significant time in Orlando was over 25 years old this season. And that was Rubio, who was 29.

SF - Mikal Bridges [23], Kelly Oubre [24]
PF - Cam Johnson [23], Dario Saric [25], Frank Kaminsky [26]
C - Deandre Ayton [21], Aron Baynes [33], Cheick Diallo [23]
SG - Devin Booker [23], Jevon Carter [24], Ty Jerome [22]
PG - Ricky Rubio [29], Cameron Payne [25], Elie Okobo [22], Jalen Lecque [19]

[i'm using Basketball-Reference.com ages for the season]
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

INFORMER wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:31 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:13 pm
ShelC wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:49 am
Great job of quote that says absolutely nothing. The cynical side to me trying to read between the lines thinks it just comes down to Sarver's bank balance and not on-court performance.
I disagree. It gives me some hope they won't overreact to the bubble success.
Yeah, hopefully they keep their wallet tight with Saric and go for a PF willing to play all season long on shape and high energy, while bringing Payne and Carter back but keep looking for another potential first guard from the bench to pit against them. Our current backcourt projects are unlikely to make that kind of jump.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Congrats to Coach and Book! Excited for next season!
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Glad to see that Book was 2nd by a large margin. And 22-0 for First Team.
"Be Legendary."

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

The thing is that it's the playoff for the entire season, not just for the bubble period.

The Suns played great. And the Grizzlies were just decent enough to win a couple of games and eliminate them. Those are the breaks. Everybody knew the circumstances going in, and while it's to bad they are going because they're a better team than Memphis right now, all it can be for them is a lesson on how much winning the games against the teams you should be are important. And their poor home record certainly played into it as well.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I finally got a chance to read the SI Booker article posted earlier:

https://www.si.com/nba/2020/08/09/devin-booker-winner

This was really cool about Booker's first and last tattoo:
Indeed. As Bryant would. There are similarities to Booker and Bryant, teen phenoms who made a quick impact, late lottery picks with something to prove. Before Bryant won he couldn’t win, not without Shaquille O’Neal, not without another accomplished star. Post-Shaq, pre-Pau Gasol, Bryant was the gunner, Bryant was the stat stuffer, Bryant was putting up gaudy numbers on a team going nowhere.

On Booker’s right forearm, a tattoo reads Be Legendary. It’s what Bryant wrote on a pair of sneakers he gave to Booker in 2016. Booker had it inked on weeks after Bryant was killed in a helicopter crash in January. It was his first tattoo. It will be his last. He is reminded of Bryant when he looks at his arm. He thinks of him when he scrolls through his phone. The last text he sent Bryant came the day of the crash, when word spread that Bryant was on the Southern California chopper.

He asked if Bryant was OK.

The message never went through.

“The most impactful moment in my life,” Booker said. “But Kobe is with me every day. The Mamba Mentality, the approach, the don't want to lose at all costs, the competitiveness, the whatever it takes attitude. Having that goal and then knowing the steps to get to it and not short cutting any of those. Every day is a grind. Every day is a new opportunity to get better.”
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:15 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:53 am
Bone: Sometimes various browser plugins and extensions interfere with formatting of pages. Have you tried another browser just as a sanity check? Or viewing the page in Chrome's Incognito Mode, which often disables most of your extensions? Curious if you're able to get it to look right in another context.

If it looks right in another browser / Incognito, consider looking at chrome://extensions in a tab and trying to selectively disable some of them to see if any is the culprit.

I just googled about this problem, and I found one forum where a user said that the problem may be with third-party cookies. If you have those disabled in your browser security settings, it may make it so that embedded tweets don't show up properly. Another possible cause I saw is for people running "uBlock Origin" which may interfere with displaying embedded tweets. I also saw people saying that "Disconnect" and "Tracking Blocker" interfered with tweet displaying; they say that white-listing "platform.twitter.com" in your block list can help. There are a few things to possibly look into.
Thanks, Marty. I'll give those a shot. I do have uBlock Origin but disabled it for this site. It suddenly started happening. I'll let you know my findings.
So, the weirdest thing. I finally started looking into this issue and opened an incognito window and boom, I saw full tweets. Closed the window, and now suddenly my non-incognito tweets are fully showing up in my original window. I don't get it!
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Never mind. They're back again. I'll keep experimenting.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I just cleared all my cookies and browsing history. Seems to be working now.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:52 pm
Superbone wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:15 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:53 am
Bone: Sometimes various browser plugins and extensions interfere with formatting of pages. Have you tried another browser just as a sanity check? Or viewing the page in Chrome's Incognito Mode, which often disables most of your extensions? Curious if you're able to get it to look right in another context.

If it looks right in another browser / Incognito, consider looking at chrome://extensions in a tab and trying to selectively disable some of them to see if any is the culprit.

I just googled about this problem, and I found one forum where a user said that the problem may be with third-party cookies. If you have those disabled in your browser security settings, it may make it so that embedded tweets don't show up properly. Another possible cause I saw is for people running "uBlock Origin" which may interfere with displaying embedded tweets. I also saw people saying that "Disconnect" and "Tracking Blocker" interfered with tweet displaying; they say that white-listing "platform.twitter.com" in your block list can help. There are a few things to possibly look into.
Thanks, Marty. I'll give those a shot. I do have uBlock Origin but disabled it for this site. It suddenly started happening. I'll let you know my findings.
So, the weirdest thing. I finally started looking into this issue and opened an incognito window and boom, I saw full tweets. Closed the window, and now suddenly my non-incognito tweets are fully showing up in my original window. I don't get it!
So, my cut off tweet issue came back again but I think I finally may have found the culprit. I think it was third-party cookies which I wasn't allowing in Chrome. I started allowing them, restarted the site, and it appears to be working now. I previously turned off all extensions but that didn't do anything. Thanks again for all this info, Marty. I did my own googling and about the issue and it seems like an uncommon one as it was hard to find good info on it.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Glad you found it!

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Some interesting stuff here. Take it for what it's worth.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:54 am
Some interesting stuff here. Take it for what it's worth.

When I click on it I get a “Something went wrong.” screen.
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

That's an older thread/post from a couple of months ago. Think it was posted here already but the poster mentions seeing Sarver pulling DA (not physically) out of his car on his way out of the arena to talk to him.
Personally I never really saw Sarver do much. I never spent much time around him. I've heard lots of stories from before I worked there. I know when Jerry Colangelo ran the team, they would have crazy Christmas parties where Colangelo would randomly give away absurd amounts of cash or even pay off someones mortgage for a year. They also had an employee league where the departments would meet up once every 2 weeks or so to play but all that was stopped when Sarver took over. To answer your question though, I guess the worst thing I've seen him do actually happened this season. After a game (don't remember which one tbh), he went running towards the garage and basically ripped Ayton from his car and dragged him back to his office. He also grabbed Monty from his office. Walking down the suns hallway like 10 minutes later you could hear furious screaming and various sounds that I believed were objects being thrown coming from his office. When I left like 30 minutes later, DA's car was still there. I don't know how long DA was with Monty and Sarver in his office being berated but since i didn't spend much time around Sarver, that's probably the worst I've seen in my memory, though I've heard some stories from before my time significantly worse.

Edit: For the record, this incident took place AFTER DA had already come back from his 25 game suspension
Someone else wrote:
This has happened after DA returned from the suspension. I remember Sarver talking to the GM James Jones in the tunnel for like 5 minutes after the game. I can say that it was not a conversation. It was more like he was telling JJ what's gonna happen. Next game DA was benched... So, this might be my contribution to your story.
Maybe this link works? A lot of good stories about the current guys on the team - Kelly, Cam, Bridges being good guys and all of theme being close.