Suns News: Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Re: Suns News: Offseason

Post by carey »

I like Rubio. I just don't think he's the PG for this team. At least, not as currently constructed. He didn't seem to fit well in the games I watched. He's certainly adequate and I don't think we should move him just to move him. I'm probably not expressing myself all that well. What if I leave it at - we could use an upgrade at PG if one is available?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

MightyMoog

Post by MightyMoog »

I think he was a very instrumental in the growth of the team, but ultimately I don't see him as the eventual answer. I think if you can upgrade to a better player that you should do it. Of the starting 5, that's the position that could use the biggest upgrade. Not next year, or maybe not the year after. But you can see an upward trajectory on Ayton, Mikal and Cam. While you can expect a decline in Rubio. In 2 years when were ready to really compete, he's going to be the weakest link. However, for the time being he's providing a lot of the glue.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:48 pm
Why moving TJ Warren for cap space was an awful move, but moving Rubio it’s a great idea?
That is an erroneous narrative.

Trading Warren for cap space wasn't an issue. Not getting back a pick was an awful move. GIVING UP A PICK was an awful move.

Similarly, I would never give up an asset to move Rubio. And I would insist on an asset in return. So yeah, not the same thing.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

MightyMoog wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:31 pm
Would we consider moving Rubio, Oubre and Kaminksy for Chris Paul?
Chris Paul is better than Rubio, but his contract is abysmal and would compromise efforts to build the rest of the roster. If I'm moving Rubio and/or Oubre, it is to add depth to the roster. I'm flipping either player for two good players.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Monty interview on NBA Gametime. Some real good insights on when he first got here and needing to listen rather than talk, building the culture, taking the next step as a group.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

That was awesome. Thanks, Shel.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:29 am
MightyMoog wrote:
Chris Paul is better than Rubio, but his contract is abysmal and would compromise efforts to build the rest of the roster. If I'm moving Rubio and/or Oubre, it is to add depth to the roster. I'm flipping either player for two good players.
What about Fake Chris Paul from the State Farm commercials? I bet we could get him for less than $40M/year.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:19 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:29 am
MightyMoog wrote:
What about Fake Chris Paul from the State Farm commercials? I bet we could get him for less than $40M/year.
Those are pretty funny actually. He would probably be just as effective for us as he is in the commercials.

"Be Legendary."

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:27 am
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:48 pm
Why moving TJ Warren for cap space was an awful move, but moving Rubio it’s a great idea?
That is an erroneous narrative.

Trading Warren for cap space wasn't an issue. Not getting back a pick was an awful move. GIVING UP A PICK was an awful move.

Similarly, I would never give up an asset to move Rubio. And I would insist on an asset in return. So yeah, not the same thing.
Yeah, you’re right, that is the wrong issue. I was referring about letting go a productive player for the ideal to find something better, an to boot, one that’s integral on the recent results. I’m regular visitor of the trade machine myself, but we if we want an All Star on every slot, or perfect players across the lineup, that’s just not possible, neither sustainable. I asked you a days ago how did you would manage that cap space into the 3- viable pieces you were saying we could, and the question remains.

Per example, I think Rubio is overpaid but already proven, and those extra dollars, even if we could take them from Ricky’s salary, are not enough to bring anything better that we currently have. I mean, if we assume that we are overpaying Rubio at 2-1 ratio, it means we should get a proper replacement for $8.5mill and have another $8.5 to spend. WHO is available at those salaries? Leave “potential” out of this, we have a proven player, let’s replace him with proven players as well.

So, we would trade Rubio in exchange for an asset and enough cap space to replace his impact and bring along proven talent to upgrade the team.

We have enough holes to fill, let’s handle those before reopen holes new ones. We have cap space, draft picks and assets, we don’t need to overplay our hand on aggressive liquidations on the pursuit of limited cap space gains, specially on a weak FA class.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Wait a minute

I am now only coming across all the content on Suns YouTube channel :oops:
The Don't Sleep on Basketball series and so on

Yea I totally missed the fact they were dropping so many videos since the bubble started. Guess I'm gonna have my Bball fix for tonight 8-) :)
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I'm feeling like 'Bone and wanting to give commentary after the fact lol
I'm watching vids from back in June and these are covering from when the season first got shutdown and it's so interesting seeing the different things that has to go into place for the guys to get back on the court

Really is cool stuff so others like me who had not been following do take a look

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:05 pm
I'm watching vids from back in June and these are covering from when the season first got shutdown and it's so interesting seeing the different things that has to go into place for the guys to get back on the court

Really is cool stuff so others like me who had not been following do take a look
Will do but feel free to comment after the fact! I’d rather hear about that than 50 ways to get rid of Rubio.

"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:14 pm
bajanguy008 wrote:

Will do but feel free to comment after the fact! I’d rather hear about that than 50 ways to get rid of Rubio.
You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nice, Cap.

"Be Legendary."

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Superbone wrote:
bajanguy008 wrote:

It's just the little things that I appreciate like seeing how the training/fitness coaches got things set up for the Madhouse - I'm doing a course in Physical Education
The behind the scenes things we take for granted like how they planned what weights could/would go to Orlando , the equipment manager packing the ridiculous amount of gear and what washing for a team is like...
Like I said the little things give me perspective on what makes NBA , pro sports work and especially for this bubble situation

Then I like putting personalities to people we don't hear or see much. Like Jevon I thought was serious and quiet once he isn't I guess at home so to see him clowning around and talking junk was a surprise lol
Never seen the asst Rajakovic and his energy is great, seems like a fun guy and he was very happy with how Dario came back and literally said he expects a jump in production during the bubble

Didn't know Leander daughter was an ICU nurse or that Monty had hoodies made for the guys with life lessons/messages on them

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:29 am
Superbone wrote:
bajanguy008 wrote:

It's just the little things that I appreciate like seeing how the training/fitness coaches got things set up for the Madhouse - I'm doing a course in Physical Education
The behind the scenes things we take for granted like how they planned what weights could/would go to Orlando , the equipment manager packing the ridiculous amount of gear and what washing for a team is like...
Like I said the little things give me perspective on what makes NBA , pro sports work and especially for this bubble situation

Then I like putting personalities to people we don't hear or see much. Like Jevon I thought was serious and quiet once he isn't I guess at home so to see him clowning around and talking junk was a surprise lol
Never seen the asst Rajakovic and his energy is great, seems like a fun guy and he was very happy with how Dario came back and literally said he expects a jump in production during the bubble

Didn't know Leander daughter was an ICU nurse or that Monty had hoodies made for the guys with life lessons/messages on them
Good stuff, BG!

"Be Legendary."

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Cap

Post by Cap »

3rdside wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:57 pm
Face tattoo or stop tweeting!

BlaCkAdDa

Post by BlaCkAdDa »

I really believe that Monty can take us forward, he seems like the right guy for the job... I wasn't 100% sure but the bubble convinced me .. .I just hope we make positive moves this offseason .. and keep this momentum.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

The Suns need to be very careful with the Cameron Payne. The past two seasons, there has been a backup point guard that showed some promise in a limited sample size that went on to be awful the next season. In 2017-18, Isaiah Canaan had a stretch when he was regularly scoring in double figures. The thought was to bring him back as a reliable player in the point guard rotation. We know how that went in 2018-19. Later on that year, Tyler Johnson was acquired and played just a handful of games, most of them weren't even that good, but many applauded his acquisition, and we went into the 2019-20 season thinking he could be a reliable contributor. He turned out to be unplayable.

I like Cameron Payne, and he was a key factor in the Suns success in the seeding games; but we've been here before.