Suns 2020-21 Media Day/Training Camp

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Suns 2020-21 Media Day/Training Camp

Post by ShelC »

Figured we could use a new thread now that Free Agency is done and the offseason is over. James Jones is doing media to kick things off. A few quotes below and camp tips off tomorrow 12/1 so start doing your wind sprints!

Last edited by ShelC on Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ShelC

Re: Suns Media Day/Training Camp

Post by ShelC »

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I really hope Cam and Mikal don't learn to only take 2 shots from Jae.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:27 pm
[snark] I think Mikal already knows that. [/snark]

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

:lol: That's hardly even snark!
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:27 pm
3 or more only!
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

So, when is training camp and media day?!
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shel, would you mind adding the season years to the title? I can do it if you'd like.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:12 pm
Media day was today, or more or less this week, all virtual.

Vladimir_Taltos

Re: Suns 2020-21 Media Day/Training Camp

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

Sigh...I like much of where we are after seeing the dust settle, but I still feel like we've left ourselves weak if nothing else at a 3rd guard position...any play that might land us Dinwiddie? I think him as the 3rd in the rotation as a backup to Chris/Booker would make a lot of sense...and really add some strength to our lineup. Just kicking tires...

VT

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:08 pm
Sigh...I like much of where we are after seeing the dust settle, but I still feel like we've left ourselves weak if nothing else at a 3rd guard position...any play that might land us Dinwiddie? I think him as the 3rd in the rotation as a backup to Chris/Booker would make a lot of sense...and really add some strength to our lineup. Just kicking tires...

VT
I like our guard rotation. We have Payne and Carter as our primary backup PG and SG respectively. They showed they could do an impressive job during the bubble, and they complement each other well. And we brought in some depth and shooting in Moore and Galloway. Looks pretty good to me. We don't have a third "stud" guard who could arguably slide in as a starter or heavy minutes guy, but I don't know that I'd want to spend lots of resources on a player like that, anyway. Our bench guys know they're bench guys and are okay with that. Bringing in a guy like Dinwiddie might not work because he'd rightfully want more minutes and a larger role than we could consistently give him.

The main flaw is what'll we do if Paul goes down for his customary 10-15 game injury of the season? Start Payne at PG? That might be a little rough.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I will I say I feel more comfortable with PointBook now than prior to last season because he's got guys to pass to. So if he needs to run point for an extended stretch, I'm a bit more confident we can make do with any of the guards in the backcourt next to him and have Monty just ride the hot hand.

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:56 pm
Vladimir_Taltos wrote:

VT
I like our guard rotation. We have Payne and Carter as our primary backup PG and SG respectively. They showed they could do an impressive job during the bubble, and they complement each other well. And we brought in some depth and shooting in Moore and Galloway. Looks pretty good to me. We don't have a third "stud" guard who could arguably slide in as a starter or heavy minutes guy, but I don't know that I'd want to spend lots of resources on a player like that, anyway. Our bench guys know they're bench guys and are okay with that. Bringing in a guy like Dinwiddie might not work because he'd rightfully want more minutes and a larger role than we could consistently give him.

The main flaw is what'll we do if Paul goes down for his customary 10-15 game injury of the season? Start Payne at PG? That might be a little rough.
My point...Dinwiddie would do a nice job of backing things up here...that's why I was asking. To me it would boil down to what would it take to get him and is the price rational...

Cap

Post by Cap »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:23 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:56 pm
Vladimir_Taltos wrote:

VT

My point...Dinwiddie would do a nice job of backing things up here...that's why I was asking. To me it would boil down to what would it take to get him and is the price rational...
Capwise? Ayton would do the trick, or Bridges+CJ+Nader.

On the upside, we probably don’t have to worry about the Nets saying no.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:14 pm
Superbone wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:12 pm
Media day was today, or more or less this week, all virtual.
Wow. First time in a long time that it caught me by surprise!
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

It's here! It's here! The new team is here!
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Split T

Post by Split T »

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Thanks for the tweets and recap. I love that news about Payne. He was so impressive in the bubble and I hope he'll be able to continue that level of play.