Game Day (Preseason): Lakers @ Suns, Wed 12/16/20

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: Game Day (Preseason): Lakers @ Suns, Wed 12/16/20

Post by ShelC »

This is what he's capable of if he's tuned in for 30+ minutes a night

Book to Stix

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

That fast break dunk by Ayton was borderline nasty. Not quite but getting closer.

Carno

Post by Carno »

ShelC wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:27 am

This really stood out to me while watching the game and hadn't yet seen anyone mention it. What also stood out was that the guards (mostly Paul) actually were feeding Ayton when he did this. It felt like Ayton was featured more prominently on offense then I've seen before. Is this because the Suns actually have a guard that won't ignore Ayton?

azsportsfan

Post by azsportsfan »

Carno wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:34 am
ShelC wrote:

This really stood out to me while watching the game and hadn't yet seen anyone mention it. What also stood out was that the guards (mostly Paul) actually were feeding Ayton when he did this. It felt like Ayton was featured more prominently on offense then I've seen before. Is this because the Suns actually have a guard that won't ignore Ayton?
Most paint touches in the league last season - so no, that is not the reason. The reason is Ayton decides.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Last night for sure he was running rim to rim and floating less. Sometimes he just jogs, takes the pass at the top of the key and swings it or sets a screen and then watches. He ran the floor with a purpose last night and when you're matched up with Gasol, you should win that race everytime.

Indy

Post by Indy »

azsportsfan wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:48 am
Carno wrote:
ShelC wrote:

Most paint touches in the league last season - so no, that is not the reason. The reason is Ayton decides.
That is exactly it. Even that highlight where he does a good defensive job and comes back to get the dunk And 1, he jogged back.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Good performance last night, but this is type of talk that gets him into trouble IMO. You don't play to the level of your competition. You play great and hard every night no matter what. Plus he shit the bed against the Jazz and Gobert, who are no slouches. And his competitiveness was contagious? GTFOH. Look at his body language and how he's looking down when he's saying these things. You get the feeling even he doesn't believe his own bullshit. Maybe I'm being too hard on him but it's like he lives in a different reality compared to what Monty and Jae are saying. Also had a quote about how it was too cold in Utah and being in warmer weather opened his lungs up. He was still breathing hard last night and the Utah weather didn't affect the rest of the team.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Last night looked like the first time the team actually ran an offense, and it looked good.

I don't mind Carter's shots. Most came of curls that were clearly designed to get an open look. He was hitting them through the 3rd, and was 5-11 with 15 points, IIRC. The 4th just sucked in general.

I have no concern with Jalen Smith. The shot may not be falling, but he's making good reads about when to shoot and when to drive. He's getting rebounds, he's drawing fouls, he's active on defense. He just has to get his legs under him and get used to the pace of the nba game.

Moore has been our worst player so far because we are asking him to initiate the offense, and he just can't do that very well. Still, he looks like the odd man out. How soon can we trade him for Dedmon or Barea?
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Carno

Post by Carno »

azsportsfan wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:48 am
Carno wrote:
ShelC wrote:

Sorry, but I stand by my statement. The past two seasons, I often observed guards missing Ayton off of rolls, failing to make passes into the post and ignoring him on deep seals. Paul in two games has already fed Ayton multiple times in these situations.

Ayton has his own issues for sure, but that's something different.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Had a chance to watch the game. DAs numbers looked good and his effort was there. His approach was still weak as hell. 3-4 missed opportunities if he would’ve gathered himself and tried to dunk. Same DA.

Not worried about Smith. It’s the kids third game with no camp and no summer league. He’ll deserve a pass all year and it’s our fault if we have him in the rotation due to need.

Pretty underwhelmed by Moore. Thinking he’s the odd man out once everyone is back.

Jones continues to show me nothing.

More than anything really dying to see this team with all its pieces available.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:46 pm
And proper rotations.
"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:31 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:46 pm
And proper rotations.
Yes. It’s so hard to judge anything but effort until we have that

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

pickle

Post by pickle »

INFORMER wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:34 pm
Yeah, Smith hasn't shown much at all.

Most rookies that struggle this year will get a pass; they've been dealt a difficult hand.

But there are a number of rookies who look fine.
Which rookies have you seen playing well Inf?

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

pickle wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:40 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:34 pm
Yeah, Smith hasn't shown much at all.

Most rookies that struggle this year will get a pass; they've been dealt a difficult hand.

But there are a number of rookies who look fine.
Which rookies have you seen playing well Inf?
Isaac Okoro. Tyrese Haliburton. Patrick Williams. Aleksej Pokusevski. Devin Vassell. Desmond Bane.

Probably more than that, but that is who comes to mind.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.