Game Day: Suns (7-4) @ Grizzlies (6-6), Monday 1/18/2021

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Game Day: Suns (7-4) @ Grizzlies (6-6), Monday 1/18/2021

Post by Indy »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:03 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:00 pm
Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:56 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:52 pm
Split T wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:44 pm
That’s the Ayton we want to see
Yes, yes, yes, yes, YES!

This is the Ayton we need, and there was still room for improvement. But he showcased what he could be: attacking the rim, looking to score, making plays with his passing. Maybe he just needed a week off. :roll:
I probably shouldn't make this joke, but maybe he used the week off to start a new cycle?😂
Honestly, I thought the same thing. I said to myself, "he found some new PEDs."
100% glad it wasn't just me then.
I think a lot of us thought that.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Unfortunately with Booker, if he isn't scoring he isn't helping you.

As much as people bitch about Ayton and Paul around here, it's Booker who's regressed the most this year.

And damn, get yourself a backup center, You can't be running Kaminsky out there for minutes that actually mean anything.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Indy

Post by Indy »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:09 pm
Indy wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:07 pm
Or maybe he isn't what we thought he was.
Booker is a stud. He could have an off year and I still wouldn't sell his stock.
I am not selling. Hell, I still wanted him to take the last shot today!

But he has been pretty bad the first 20% of the season. That is a good size sample.

Split T

Post by Split T »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:06 pm
I enjoyed watching Brandon Clarke tonight.
Except for that 3 pt shot...it went in, but his form is one of the worst I’ve seen

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Indy wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:08 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Do you think he was a better use of the pick?
Absolutely. And I appreciate Cameron Johnson; he has been a good player and is having a very good year 2. But I think Clarke is a better player.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Bobster wrote:

As much as people bitch about Ayton and Paul around here, it's Booker who's regressed the most this year.

And damn, get yourself a backup center, You can't be running Kaminsky out there for minutes that actually mean anything.
Despite a great overall game today, Ayton has regressed the most this year. Book is giving him a run for his money, though.

Indy

Post by Indy »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:11 pm
Indy wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
Absolutely. And I appreciate Cameron Johnson; he has been a good player and is having a very good year 2. But I think Clarke is a better player.
Yeah, completely different players, but he does seem to be the better overall player. I am very glad how well Cam has turned out so far.

Split T

Post by Split T »

The Bobster wrote:

In our defense, our 3 guys out for Covid protocol are our 3 backup Centers

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Split T wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:12 pm
The Bobster wrote:

In our defense, our 3 guys out for Covid protocol are our 3 backup Centers
And I really don't want any of them playing important minutes at center. Saric works in some matchups, but he can't guard the basket.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

Indy wrote:
The Bobster wrote:

Despite a great overall game today, Ayton has regressed the most this year. Book is giving him a run for his money, though.
And I'm totally stating the obvious, but out of all the players that we could survive regressions from...😬

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Indy wrote:
The Bobster wrote:

At least Ayton contributes defensively and rebounding when he's not scoring.

Booker doesn't really give you much of anything if he's not scoring 20+ points with a decent efficiency.

Charlie Smithy!

Indy wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:12 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Indy wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
Yeah, completely different players, but he does seem to be the better overall player. I am very glad how well Cam has turned out so far.
I feel like with James Jones style of drafting, even more than usual, I have to look at the Players he drafts for us in their own special vacuum. It really makes for a unique experience as a fan when your GM solely focuses on the high floor. And perhaps a frustrating experience as well.

Charlie Smithy!

The Bobster wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:16 pm
Indy wrote:
The Bobster wrote:

Booker doesn't really give you much of anything if he's not scoring 20+ points with a decent efficiency.
I feel like we as a franchise have definitely had our own fair share of these types of players. While I recognize that two-way players are harder to come by, it does make me appreciate them more, as the sorta exception to the rule I guess?

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Bobster wrote:
Indy wrote:
The Bobster wrote:

Even after today's horrible game, he is scoring over 22ppg on the season.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:21 pm
The Bobster wrote:
Indy wrote:
The Bobster wrote:

I feel like we as a franchise have definitely had our own fair share of these types of players. While I recognize that two-way players are harder to come by, it does make me appreciate them more, as the sorta exception to the rule I guess?
It makes you appreciate the few stars they've had who were great defensively - Nance, Marion, Kidd, Silas, Dennis Johnson. There haven't been a whole lot of them.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Suns played to Memphis' tempo. You play another man's game and you're in big trouble.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Booker was shit and has been shit for most of the season but he’ll be fine. It’s going to take time. More time than usual because this is a very unusual season.

I feel like people are really underestimating how weird this season is and how weird it’s going to get. You have the Clippers blowing out teams but also getting blown out by 50. There is going to be up and downs and they are going to be glaring.

Charlie Smithy!

The Bobster wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:29 pm
Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:21 pm
The Bobster wrote:
Indy wrote:
The Bobster wrote:

It makes you appreciate the few stars they've had who were great defensively - Nance, Marion, Kidd, Silas, Dennis Johnson. There haven't been a whole lot of them.
That's a really good point. And just curious, where would you put/rank these Suns, defensively?

KJ
Majerle
Raja
...Barkley 😅
Hornacek
Mike Sanders
Ronnie Lee
Eric Bledsoe

Annnnnd we'll finish this list with

...Bo Outlaw

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:58 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:28 pm
I'm losing patience with Chris Paul. He's passing up open shots and dribbles into bad situations way too often.
I hated the trade, and I would love to see him traded asap, but I felt like he did better tonight in terms of finding opportunities to score , playing with a little more pace, and reducing the dribbling a bit.

And I loved him passing out of the layup midair to Bridges for the 3. Great heads-up play.
I went out for some exercise to blow off some steam so I might be forgetting them all, but I thought he only had two really good passes in the game and passed up at least three good shots that led to worse shots by a teammate. The alley-oop to Ayton was nice and something I expected to see from the first week of the season, and the pass you mentioned to Bridges only happened because the Grizzlies stupidly collapsed hard at the rim. They should've given him the layup.

He's looking for his shot more often now, which I like, but he's gotta do better with those 10-12' pullups. That shot needs to be automatic and then the other guys will get better shots.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Charlie Smithy!

Wally_West wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:21 pm
Bridges free throw shooting tonight :?
Wally, can you please translate this post for me from the Suns subreddit?
Must have 10th prestige, 25 kill streak, Hall of Fame level pussy because that shit is R A T I O i n g our child, the mocha mamba, cream tone Kobe, Nintendo Wii lookin ass Booker the savior of the City of Phoenix.

He’ll bounce back.

Everyone’s shots were not slapping tonight and if we would’ve shot average on free throws and maaaaaybe hit 2 extra 3s, we would’ve sealed the deal.

Also Deandre made me proud tonight and if he can play like that every night, and our fellas can get their heads out of their beautiful asses then we’ve got a top 4 team.

Until then we only speak doomsday and how much we hate our team until they win