Suns News: Week 5 1/18-1/24

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Suns News: Week 5 1/18-1/24

Post by Indy »

Brain too. the clots seem to form anywhere, and there are cases of really young, otherwise healthy people having strokes due to clots in their brain. scary stuff.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

My boss's daughter is scheduled to have an EKG as she's having heart problems. She's 21 and got Covid months ago when my boss decided to take her entire family to Vegas to celebrate her 21st birthday at the early summer peak we had with Covid transmission. She's otherwise a healthy young person that has a full athletic scholarship playing softball at a university in West Virginia.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:51 am
Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:07 am
I'm strangely out of the loop. Is this just a photoshop of Booker?
If you've been tuning into the games this season, it's his latest look. The Jenner and Kardashian's are getting to him and having a huge influence not just on his play but his appearance.
Bridges too now. Who's next? Ayton? :lol:
"Be Legendary."

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:19 pm
My boss's daughter is scheduled to have an EKG as she's having heart problems. She's 21 and got Covid months ago when my boss decided to take her entire family to Vegas to celebrate her 21st birthday at the early summer peak we had with Covid transmission. She's otherwise a healthy young person that has a full athletic scholarship playing softball at a university in West Virginia.
Dang...
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Cam Payne? CHAMPPAYNE!

What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Sorry for flooding the News page with those. Just saw them on Twitter today and they made me laugh.

Last one (probably).

Deandre dominAyton!

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Nice!

It’s like the Beatles. They start out all clean cut and then...

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:26 pm
ShelC wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:28 am
Getting kinda old hearing Marion criticize those teams. He was a high end role player getting his pts off transition and garbage baskets. Anyone ask him why he never improved his shot or his ballhandling? We know the 7SOL teams' shortcomings, MikeD's lack of adjustments, reliance on the PnR. Still had a ton of success and led the league in offense. He was traded to Miami and Toronto, didn't do anything with those teams when he had the chance so maybe he should shut up and appreciate playing in a system with a PG that made him look better than he actually was. Nevermind the max contract...
Marion has always had this way of being right and wrong at the same time. He's right that he was underappreciated in Phoenix. He was in many ways the glue that held our team together. He brought defense and athleticism and ability to score and contribute so much without plays being called for him or hogging the ball. That was immensely helpful for the 7SOL Suns, the perfect complement to Nash, Amare, and all our shooters and other role players. The teams wouldn't have been what they were without him. I don't think you can say he was as important as Nash, but you can make a strong case that he was just as important to those teams as Amare, perhaps even more important.

And I can see how he was a little hurt that not everybody saw that. He was routinely snubbed in small ways. They'd put up billboards and they'd have one of Nash and one of Amare and none of him. They wouldn't talk about him on NBA shows or nominate him for various league honors. People just seemed to think of him as the third guy, and I can see why he wanted to be perceived differently. It also didn't help that he had trouble with his interpersonal skills. He just wasn't a natural communicator or leader in the way you would expect an "alpha" player to be. He struggled in interviews and was often awkward in his interactions. He seemed to want the team to focus the offense on him more, but he never really had the skillset for that. He wasn't great at creating off the dribble or operating in the post, so you wouldn't want to run your offense through him. We were much better off with Nash creating and Marion roaming, rolling to the basket, popping out for 3s, cleaning up boards and tip-ins. That was the perfect role for him, the role he was already in.

And the way we shipped him out was unpleasant to say the least. He wanted to be traded, and then we got rid of him for a past-his-prime Shaq, who immediately became a big presence in Phoenix and made the All-Star team, dancing around like an idiot and rapping. The team seemed to move on from him. I can see how he felt miffed that we let him go and didn't seem to miss him as much as he wanted.

Now that he's gone and has had years to look back on it, he seems to be bitter about the whole thing. Maybe he has some right to be. But IMO it is never a good look to crap on your past teams and teammates like that. The smart thing to do is to talk about the good times you had and the bond with your teammates like Nash and Amare. I can't help but notice that Nash has reassembled much of the old crew in Brooklyn but hasn't given a call to Marion. Hmm. And Shawn could have a nice post-career presence in Phoenix if he would just play nicer about it and talk about how great it was in the old days on the Suns, but he doesn't seem to want that.

This all reminds me in a way of the relationship Scottie Pippen had with the Bulls after leaving. Not quite the same situation, and Pippen did go back there for a year to end his career, but the whole respect/disrespect, prickly second or third banana, and revisionist history stuff seems similar.

I think the Suns should do the classy thing, put Shawn in the Ring of Honor ASAP, and tell him there's a role on the team staff here for him anytime if he wants it. That's how you treat your all-time great players.
Trix was a little whiney bitch but he’s our whiney bitch

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

specialsauce wrote: Trix was a little whiney bitch but he’s our whiney bitch
Marion : Suns :: specialsauce : phx-suns.net

I keed, I keed.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:39 pm
specialsauce wrote: Trix was a little whiney bitch but he’s our whiney bitch
Marion : Suns :: specialsauce : phx-suns.net

I keed, I keed.
That’s fair, this is my main outlet for venting

Pips

Post by Pips »

Marion could bring KG to Phoenix if he agree for Boston trade...

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

BG, where's the game day thread?!
"Be Legendary."

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:14 pm
BG, where's the game day thread?!
Ok
I'm on it

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

The Awful Truth

always uncertainty with hamstring injuries smh :? :?
it is not going to be DA 25 game suspension bad but this is still a potentially ominous situation

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Wouldn't hurt to have a few games postponed now with contact tracing amirite.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

ShelC wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:23 pm
Wouldn't hurt to have a few games postponed now with contact tracing amirite.
Quick, Suns! Get your ass to the club, stat! The season depends on it.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:16 am
mauled last year? Didnt ayton have 20 points on a quarter him. I think he is thinking of his rookie year.

Either way, keep it up Ayton

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Looking at ways of bolstering the end of the roster.
Most obvious needs are another Big, maybe an impact pg and some more athleticism on the bench

Most likely to get waived etc to make room - Jones, Kaminsky, nadar.

Wondering who we might be able to pickup mid season.
Probably less teams tanking this year due to play in/play offs

So far the teams who have looked bad /bottom of the standings: Wolves, Wizards, pistons (somehow we lost to 2 of those teams).
I also suspect houtson might try to offload some vets if the keep slipping.
potential players who may get bought out/waived

wizards- Lopez, Len
Pistons - D Rose, mcgruder? okafor?
Rockets: Tucker, (would likely require some form of trade, may want to start)
Free agents: D Desmond
G league?

Thoughts?

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Danimal wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:37 pm
bajanguy008 wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:16 am
mauled last year? Didnt ayton have 20 points on a quarter him. I think he is thinking of his rookie year.

Either way, keep it up Ayton

Excluding the first meeting in his rookie year, here's Aton's numbers for the 6 games against Denver since then -

37.1 Min, 66.7 FG%, .739 FT%, 24.8 Pts, 13.8 Reb, 1.0 Ast, 1.3 Blk
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695