Suns News: Week 5 1/18-1/24

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Suns News: Week 5 1/18-1/24

Post by Indy »

But nobody believes Gambo.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Shabazz wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:35 am
Fellas, we traded for a player who was 2nd team All NBA last year and one of the best point guards of all time. We didn't get pressured by Booker into signing Antonio Davis or Tristan Thompson to absurd deals.

It was a good trade.
Exactly.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
Fellas, we traded for a player who was 2nd team All NBA last year and one of the best point guards of all time. We didn't get pressured by Booker into signing Antonio Davis or Tristan Thompson to absurd deals.

It was a good trade.
Thank you.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Wow, Paul visibly frustrated after the win last night:

This is good to see. He knew it shouldn't be that close and is looking improve even in wins. I like that.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

He should be pissed off, and at himself too. Glad he didn't hide it. I hope he took that energy back to the locker room.

Pips

Post by Pips »

Horible ending of halftime and game...

Indy

Post by Indy »

Pips wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:12 pm
Horible ending of halftime and game...
Yep. I think it was around the 5 min mark of the 1st half when EJ said, "let's watch these next 5 minutes, because how you end quarters and halves tell you a lot about a team."

It was 44-40.

We went on a 13-0 run in the next two minutes, and I was thinking, wow EJ was spot on. ... Then we give up most of it right before halftime. Not a great look.

Fast forward to the 4th. We start the quarter up 7 and within 5 minutes grow it to 15. Only to let it slip away down to 2 in the final 2 minutes. This team has a long way to go when it comes to being professionals. I am curious to see who in that locker room felt good about the win, and who was pissed they let a team like that back into it over and over--I mean, they were without their best player, their second best player sprained his ankle pretty good in the first half and limped through the rest of the game, and we still struggled.

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

When we give up runs prior to the 4th it’s generally because we get a little too 3pt happy plus turnovers and forget about playing defense.
Our execution at the end of games has been dog shit. Essentially because we don’t actually run anything. We have a booker or Paul iso with occasionally a lazy pick and roll. Last game ayton was doing great but we didn’t look for him we trotted out the same crap and it almost cost us the win. I understand you want booker taking those late shots but maybe run something to put him in a good position or get him open. The iso or pnr will always be there but you don’t need to pound the ball for 20 seconds first. I put it on Monty as this as has been obvious all season in final quarters but I can’t see any real attempt to fix it. The subs in the 4th were a little weird also.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Danimal wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:34 pm
When we give up runs prior to the 4th it’s generally because we get a little too 3pt happy plus turnovers and forget about playing defense.
Our execution at the end of games has been dog shit. Essentially because we don’t actually run anything. We have a booker or Paul iso with occasionally a lazy pick and roll. Last game ayton was doing great but we didn’t look for him we trotted out the same crap and it almost cost us the win. I understand you want booker taking those late shots but maybe run something to put him in a good position or get him open. The iso or pnr will always be there but you don’t need to pound the ball for 20 seconds first. I put it on Monty as this as has been obvious all season in final quarters but I can’t see any real attempt to fix it. The subs in the 4th were a little weird also.
It feels like in Q2 or Q4 they are trying to run out the clock. I realize you want to take time off of it to get them less time to catch up, but you know what also helps, getting a good shot! If we really mean what we say about being a top defensive team, you have to be able to rely on that to win you games instead of running out the clock.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Shabazz wrote:

It was a good trade.
That's an oversimplification.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Indy wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:46 pm
He should be pissed off, and at himself too.
Himself? Yeah, no, I didn't hear that. He said "it's on me" which is what I have heard the last decade from Gary Kubiak and Bill O'Brien. Coach Paul has to coach up this "young team." He's not talking about his shot selection or overdribbling, or decision-making.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

This is funny
I know Mikal is a string bean but he looks even smaller here

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

INFORMER wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:30 pm
Shabazz wrote:

It was a good trade.
That's an oversimplification.
Sure. But everything else is theoretical.

We should have signed FVV?
How do we know he wanted to sign here? It would have also cost us Dario and Crowder. I’m not sure FVV + exception signings is better than CP, Antichrist and Bossman99.

We could have gotten more for Oubre and Rubio?
Who knows if there was a (subjectively) better package out there and based on what they actually fetched OKC, I’m not sure anyone can say confidently there was.

Now we’re out of the running for 2021 marquee free agents?
That’s McD Ponzi Scheme thinking. Plus the 2021 free agent class is looking pretty sparse.

Other trade issues:
We gave up a 1st rounder?
We’ll survive the loss of what will likely be a pick in the early 20s, late teens at worst.

Chris Paul is too expensive?
He is, but it’s only 2 years and I believe he at least moves us from fringe playoff team to playoff lock. Not making the playoffs this year would be catastrophic for this franchise.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I love Mikal Bridges. Probably my favorite current Sun.

Pips

Post by Pips »

Indy wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:56 pm
This team has a long way to go when it comes to being professionals. I am curious to see who in that locker room felt good about the win, and who was pissed they let a team like that back into it over and over--I mean, they were without their best player, their second best player sprained his ankle pretty good in the first half and limped through the rest of the game, and we still struggled.
Yea, start of game was also bad with all that Houston layups and hot potato passings from Suns...

Indy

Post by Indy »

INFORMER wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:36 pm
Indy wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:46 pm
He should be pissed off, and at himself too.
Himself? Yeah, no, I didn't hear that. He said "it's on me" which is what I have heard the last decade from Gary Kubiak and Bill O'Brien. Coach Paul has to coach up this "young team." He's not talking about his shot selection or overdribbling, or decision-making.
I didn't hear that either. It did seem directed at others.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Kendall Jenner’s Latest Bikini Pic Leaves Beau Devin Booker Breathless: See His Flirty Comment

https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-ne ... ikini-pic/
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

Whew.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Anyone listen to the Real Ones podcast on the ringer nba show channel? Raja Bell and Shawn Marion talking a lot about their time in Phoenix. Why they never won a title. What year they should have won. Why Marion got traded. Some thoughts on J Kidd, Nash.

They both said the 05-06 team was the team that should have won. Marion said the biggest reason they didn’t win is lack of adjustments...kinda throws D’Antoni and Nash a little under the bus here...says they were just a Nash/Amare pick and roll team and everyone else stood in the corner. Spurs specifically would just let Nash and Amare cook and not let anyone else do anything. Thought they should have run something else when things weren’t working.

When talking about the trade he didn’t come out and say it, but seems like he was implying that Nash and Amare were asked and gave the thumbs up to trade him for Shaq.

Overall, he does seem pretty bitter about his time in Phoenix. He loved the year Amare was out, but was obviously frustrated being a lesser piece to the Nash/Amare pick and roll. I don’t get the feeling he’s the biggest D’Antoni fan. I’m not sure he’s got a beef with Nash/Amare, but don’t think that’s all love either. Doesn’t seem he has a relationship with the franchise at all right now..

It’s too bad, Shawn is my favorite Suns player all time. Put him in the ring of honor and build that relationship back.

Also maybe a little shot at Booker in there too.

Split T

Post by Split T »