Game Day: Suns (7-5) vs Rockets (4-8), Wednesday, 1/20/2021

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Game Day: Suns (7-5) vs Rockets (4-8), Wednesday, 1/20/2021

Post by Indy »

Time: 7:30 pm AZ (6:30 pm PT/9:30 pm ET)
Place: Toyota Center, Houston, TX
TV: FSAZ/ESPN

Go Suns!!!

Dis • cuss

Tuesday, January 19th, 2021 8:16 PM

-
Rockets hope turnaround starts vs. Suns
The Houston Rockets still are not whole, and with one dozen of their 72-game schedule in the books, it's becoming easier to wonder if they will find their footing and salvage their season.

The newest member of the Rockets was preaching patience following a 125-120 loss at the Chicago Bulls on Monday. Victor Oladipo predicting fairer skies ahead following his 32-point, five-rebound, nine-assist debut in the aftermath of the blockbuster trade that sent All-NBA guard James Harden to Brooklyn and landed Oladipo on a makeshift roster in Houston.

"Our better days are ahead of us, definitely," Oladipo said. "Obviously off the fly we just went out there and winged it a little bit with not very much time to prep. But our better days are ahead. Everyone just stay patient, including us. Our better days are ahead. This is only the beginning."

The Rockets will host the Phoenix Suns on Wednesday with their roster still in flux due to injury. Guard John Wall (knee) remains sidelined. Forward Danuel House Jr. (COVID protocols) and guard Dante Exum (calf), who was acquired along with Oladipo last week, are also out. Guard Sterling Brown (right leg) is questionable to play after missing the past two contests.

The lack of familiarity has undermined Houston defensively, as Chicago hit 20 3-pointers.

"Our commitment to the defensive end, that's really going to tell the tale of our story," Rockets coach Stephen Silas said. "That's going to tell how we're going to be this year, how good we're going to be and our level of commitment to being good. And it's going to be on the defensive end, not the offensive end."

Suns coach Monty Williams described the time off Phoenix had between its blowout loss at the Washington Wizards on Jan. 11 and its 108-104 setback at the Memphis Grizzlies on Monday as a delay in the process of acclimation, with multiple health and safety protocol postponements putting the Suns "in a bit of a bind."

Related to that concern is the jelling of the starting backcourt, Chris Paul and Devin Booker, two ball-dominant guards. Booker suffered through his worst game of the season by shooting percentage against the Grizzlies, missing 16 of 21 attempts, while making only 2 of 6 3-pointers en route to a subpar 12-point performance.

The Suns value possessions and, by pace, are one of the most methodical teams in the league. A schedule compromised by unexpected stoppages has wreaked havoc on their progress.

"We just haven't figured out how to play our style consistently," Williams said. "We see it in spurts but we haven't seen it in long periods of time. When we do it, we look pretty good."

Williams altered his rotation against Memphis, inserting second-year forward Cameron Johnson into the starting lineup for the first time, while shifting veteran Jae Crowder to the closing unit. The results were uneven, with the Suns starting well and taking a 24-18 lead into the second quarter, only to come undone defensively in the second period and down the stretch of the fourth.

"I think it's a lineup that's going to take some time," Williams said. "I keep saying we haven't identified the way we have to play consistently. We see it in spurts, and I'm hopeful that the lineup with Cam out there, with his cutting and his ability to space the floor, can help that starting unit."

--Field Level Media
Last edited by Indy on Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

ShelC

Re: Game Day: Suns (7-5) vs Rockets (4-8), Wednesday, 1/20/2021

Post by ShelC »

Wood 20/20 game on us, DMC prob 15 and 15, Wall prob 23 and 12?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Suns win and it won't be close.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think Booker will bounce back and have a good game. He won't be happy with his play in the last outing and will want to reassert himself. He won't have a shooting night as bad as last game. But I also think Ayton will regress here. Houston has a couple of stout and strong big men, and Ayton has trouble with those kinds of centers. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets into foul trouble.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I honestly don't mind when DA gets in foul trouble. If he's putting in effort, I can live with mistakes.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

I love when Ayton has games like last game. But they usually happen after awful games. I am not sure the last time he had 2 great games in a row... has he?

Also, Book better score over 30 or have a huge assist/low turn over night. He needs to bounce back after the worst game of his I can remember.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I just looked up his last year game logs. He had 14 games under 20 points. We were 1-13 in those games.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

O_Gardino wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:12 am
I honestly don't mind when DA gets in foul trouble. If he's putting in effort, I can live with mistakes.
In theory I agree with you. But I feel like there are too many games where DA commits 2 early fouls, gets yanked, and then never really gets in rhythm after that. I want him to find the right balance, playing hard and being aggressive but staying on the floor.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:28 am
I know you might be just being a little tongue-in-cheek or maybe the lowered expectations getting to you too Shel ? sigh :oops:

well either way, some might read this and think it is possible so Wall is actually out and Cousins hasn't been getting enough minutes all season to do that kind of damage so that would be quite a surprise. As for Wood he is the reason Cousins minutes are low and he has been as advertised so yes he has the potential to be a problem tonight.

Dipo had quite the debut last game and he actually was scoring really well against us in the Pacers game and I think his coach sat him too long in the 4th when we pulled out that win. so that might be something to watch because he was getting in the paint against us, his usage rate will be high tonight and the pick n roll with him and Wood was very good the other night

ole boy Eric Gordon might also be a factor as someone else who the post-Harden offense will run through and we probably don't want him having a good game
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Ugh I forgot about Dipo, he's definitely getting 25 on us.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:26 am
Sigh lol :lol:
it is highly probable that duo can combine for 50 but as Indy preview post states, I don't think Rockets D is anything to worry us so we should be able to rack up the points even if they have good games.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:49 am
O_Gardino wrote:
In theory I agree with you. But I feel like there are too many games where DA commits 2 early fouls, gets yanked, and then never really gets in rhythm after that. I want him to find the right balance, playing hard and being aggressive but staying on the floor.
True, and sometimes those are lazy fouls. That's a bad game for sure.

I'm trying to stay positive, Marty!
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

No offense but I was hoping BG would be the one starting this thread. He has our last win in Indy (ironically enough).
"Be Legendary."

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

man I don't see this game playing :?
just about everyone on here, I remember Split specifically was saying that if Valanciunas is OUT maybe we shouldn't be playing the Grizz game because chances are.....

this would really suck

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:28 am
And Ayton matches it. :shock:
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:
I hope he fouls out in the first five minutes of the game.
"Be Legendary."

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

This game shouldn’t be played

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:26 am
I guess Houston will score 150 points according to you?!
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

They just seem to have a weird protocol that playing basketball against someone Covid positive or under investigation isn’t an issue, but if you dap them up after the game, you’re out a week. Seems a little crazy Memphis was allowed to play us when they had a player test positive a couple days prior...now it seems more Grizzlies players have tested positive. Hard to see how that doesn’t impact us...nba seems to really not want to cancel nationally televised games though, so I’d guess tonight’s game is a go.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I selfishly need our game tonight. Please don't contract Covid, Suns.
"Be Legendary."