Suns News: Week 6 1/25-1/31

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Suns News: Week 6 1/25-1/31

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:19 am
I’d reward Ayton if he gets down the court fast and establishes great position, but I don’t know that I have much desire to force feed him in the post.
No force feeding. We need to learn to take what the defense gives us.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Exactly. There is no reason Ayton should have a good offensive first half and then just be completely ignored the second half while we jack up 400 contested 3’s. I see him try to establish position only to be ignored over and over. He then get’s complacent and his defense starts to suffer. Give the dog a bone every once in awhile or he loses interest. We don’t have to force feed him.

Sort of like a football team with an iffy running game and a great passing game. You can’t always pass because they will start to cheat on defense and eventually shut you down. You have to run a few running plays to keep them honest. We don’t have to make Ayton the focus but, he has to be a threat.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Moore on his role so far, sounds like he's keeping a positive attitude about it and understands the situation. Interested to see if Monty gives him some more time to see what he can bring. Agree with Monty that there was a different feel with him running things with the 2nd unit, not in a bad way either. Much more of a PG that either Carter or Gallo.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Moore has gotten some good press about his playing ability. I don’t know much about him other than his performance as a Sun and that has been limited. So far he hasn’t shown me a whole lot.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I like Moore, but not as much on a team that already has Payne as backup PG and Galloway as backup SG. Moore has a bit of a mix where he can handle the ball but is also a pretty good 3-point shooter. I think he should get some minutes if Payne is out, but otherwise I don't think he makes the rotation.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:18 pm
Exactly. There is no reason Ayton should have a good offensive first half and then just be completely ignored the second half while we jack up 400 contested 3’s. I see him try to establish position only to be ignored over and over. He then get’s complacent and his defense starts to suffer. Give the dog a bone every once in awhile or he loses interest. We don’t have to force feed him.

Sort of like a football team with an iffy running game and a great passing game. You can’t always pass because they will start to cheat on defense and eventually shut you down. You have to run a few running plays to keep them honest. We don’t have to make Ayton the focus but, he has to be a threat.
He isn't ignored. He had plenty of touches while on the court (even in limited minutes during the 2nd half). But he kept throwing the ball out of the post or even dibbling away from the basket. He was avoiding shots and contact in the 2nd half.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I like his attitude but he hasn't shot the ball well and he's been a reluctant shooter.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

It seems like that is where coaching comes in. “Shoot the ball or I will put someone else in who will”.

Nodack

Re: Suns News: Week 6 1/25-1/

Post by Nodack »

Indy wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:31 pm
Nodack wrote:

He isn't ignored. He had plenty of touches while on the court (even in limited minutes during the 2nd half). But he kept throwing the ball out of the post or even dibbling away from the basket. He was avoiding shots and contact in the 2nd half.
I rewatched the second half of the last game. Ayton had three touches. He took the first shot of the second half with a jumper on the left side from just outside the key and missed. Two possessions later he got the ball in the post, kept the ball low, made a spin move and three guys swarmed him and stole the ball. His third possession was in the paint and he got fouled. That last possession was with 9 minutes and change left in the third quarter. That was his last shot of the game. He went out with 5 minutes and change on the clock in the third and never came in again.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:09 am
Williams was too hands on with CP3 his first time around and now he's being too hands off to make up for it.
Nailed it.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Danimal wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:00 pm
Is it too premature for a Monty Williams Coaching hot seat thread?
Yes. Firing Monty doesn't improve anything. He still is more of a plus than he is a minus.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Indy

Re: Suns News: Week 6 1/25-1/

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:25 pm
Indy wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:31 pm
Nodack wrote:

I rewatched the second half of the last game. Ayton had three touches. He took the first shot of the second half with a jumper on the left side from just outside the key and missed. Two possessions later he got the ball in the post, kept the ball low, made a spin move and three guys swarmed him and stole the ball. His third possession was in the paint and he got fouled. That last possession was with 9 minutes and change left in the third quarter. That was his last shot of the game. He went out with 5 minutes and change on the clock in the third and never came in again.
My bad Dack. I must have been thinking of his 2nd quarter. I knew he only played about half the 3rd and didn't back in the game, but I thought his pass outs/dribble outs were then.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

From watching that I was mistaken too. I thought they just didn’t give the ball to Ayton much in the fourth. They didn’t give him the ball much because he didn’t play the fourth quarter.