Around the League: Week 6 1/25-1/31

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Around the League: Week 6 1/25-1/31

Post by carey »

Nationally televised games this week

Monday: Miami @ Brooklyn 7:30 PM EST NBATv, Minnesota @ Golden State 10:00 PM EST NBATv
Tuesday: L.A. Clippers @ Atlanta 7:30 PM EST NBATv
Wednesday: L.A. Lakers @ Philadelphia 7:30 PM EST ESPN, Minnesota @ Golden State 10:00 PM EST ESPN
Thursday: L.A. Clippers @ Miami 7:00 PM ESTTNT, Portland @ Houston 9:30 PM EST TNT
Friday: Milwaukee @ New Orleans 7:30 PM EST ESPN, Dallas @ Utah 10:00 PM EST ESPN
Saturday: L.A. Lakers @ Boston 8:30 PM EST ABC
Sunday: Utah @ Denver 3:30 PM EST NBATv, Brooklyn @ Washington 7:00 PM EST NBATv

NBA News

Miami Heat to use coronavirus-sniffing dogs to screen fans at games - https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/307 ... creen-fans

Memphis Grizzlies have fifth straight game postponed - https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/307 ... -postponed

Jaylen Brown sets new NBA record in Celtics win - https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-jaylen-bro ... 59697.html

Anthony Davis' pursuit of Lakers repeat fueled by joy, balance, family motivation: 'I want that feeling again'
- https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/anth ... ing-again/

James Harden has been the star in Nets' new trio deferring and shooting less as team starts to jell - https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/jame ... s-to-jell/

2021 NBA mock draft 1.0: Way-too-early projections for all 30 teams - https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warri ... l-30-teams

Power Rankings Roundup

NBA Power Rankings: Joel Embiid Makes Early Case for MVP - https://www.si.com/nba/2021/01/25/nba-p ... d-mvp-case
#10 Suns The Suns have lost four of their last six, and the cracks in their rotation are beginning to show. There’s no true backup center behind Deandre Ayton, and perhaps more importantly, there’s a dearth of quality playmaking outside of Chris Paul and Devin Booker. Neither of these are fatal flaws in Phoenix’s quest for a playoff berth, though perhaps a small addition can go a long way. Adding a solid backup point guard should be priority No. 1 for the Suns’ front office in the coming months.
NBA Power Rankings: Here come the Jazz; Cavs cut down the Nets (twice!) - https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/307 ... nets-twice
#9 Suns - It was an up-and-down week for the Suns after returning from three postponements a week ago. After splitting their first two games, the Suns dropped back-to-back overtime games to Denver, going one extra period on Friday and two on Saturday. Still, it was a big week for center Deandre Ayton, who averaged 22 points and 14.8 rebounds on 64.3% shooting. Also, point guard Chris Paul's 135 assists are the most by a Suns player through 15 team games since Steve Nash (140) in 2011-12, according to ESPN Stats & Information research. -- Lopez.
NBA Power Rankings: Jazz take top spot from Lakers; Clippers, 76ers keep rolling; Pelicans in free fall - https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba- ... free-fall/
#14 Suns - After a week off due to health and safety protocols, the Suns returned to the court and looked expectedly rusty in a 1-3 week. The two losses to the Nuggets both went to overtime, so those can be considered toss-ups, but the real concern is losing Devin Booker for perhaps an extended period of time with a hamstring strain. The good news is Deandre Ayton is playing his best basketball of the season, averaging 22 points, 14.8 rebounds and two blocks on 64 percent shooting this week.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Re: Around the League: Week 6 1/25-1/31

Post by Indy »

Love the NBA Power Rankings comment of first saying we only have 1 center, then only 2 playmakers, so our primary goal should be to add a playmaker. I mean, I was the one saying that we shouldn't be relying on Payne to be our primary backup PG, but he has shut me up (mostly). But we really need a legitimate NBA player over 6-8 in our front court depth chart.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

We're fine as long as Payne and Dario are healthy and contributing. But yea, another backup 4 would be nice unless Stix really starts to come on. And even then I still feel like he's more of a 5 than a 4. Jae is a good smallball 4 in doses, but is still limited against bigger players.

carey

Post by carey »

I agree with both of you. Paul has slowed our pace way down. If we're a half court team we definitely need more size.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

carey wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:59 am
I agree with both of you. Paul has slowed our pace way down. If we're a half court team we definitely need more size.
We shouldn’t be adapting to Paul slowing us down. His slow ass should hurry up

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

And it's frustrating because it's not like he's lost a step. He can blow past people and get to the rim whenever he wants. It's impressive when he does it, but I can count on one hand the amount of times I've seen him do it this year. And this is where I wish Monty would be "the coach" and get on him about picking up the pace and not walking it up or letting the ball roll to halfcourt while he walks next to it in non-clock-saving situations. You'd think a PG as smart as Paul would understand keeping pressure on a defense and not letting them get set, but he invites it. He should be attacking, not doing his fancy dribbling around the FT line just to back it out again.

And I also hate when the other team scores and 3 guys stand under the basket waiting for someone to take it for the inbounds pass. Just grab it and go. The 04-05 7SOL team made it a point to get the ball as it fell thru the net and get it back inbounds to push it upcourt for a 3. We waste like 3-5 seconds alone deciding who's taking it out. It's especially crucial now that defenses are staying out on guys like Cam and Mikal, who should be sprinting to their spots waiting for the open 3. We're just playing too slow to take full advantage of our shooters.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:19 pm
And it's frustrating because it's not like he's lost a step. He can blow past people and get to the rim whenever he wants. It's impressive when he does it, but I can count on one hand the amount of times I've seen him do it this year. And this is where I wish Monty would be "the coach" and get on him about picking up the pace and not walking it up or letting the ball roll to halfcourt while he walks next to it in non-clock-saving situations. You'd think a PG as smart as Paul would understand keeping pressure on a defense and not letting them get set, but he invites it. He should be attacking, not doing his fancy dribbling around the FT line just to back it out again.

And I also hate when the other team scores and 3 guys stand under the basket waiting for someone to take it for the inbounds pass. Just grab it and go. The 04-05 7SOL team made it a point to get the ball as it fell thru the net and get it back inbounds to push it upcourt for a 3. We waste like 3-5 seconds alone deciding who's taking it out. It's especially crucial now that defenses are staying out on guys like Cam and Mikal, who should be sprinting to their spots waiting for the open 3. We're just playing too slow to take full advantage of our shooters.
1) It is troubling how often he has said things publicly that shows he is deferring to Paul

2) I would bet Paul 're-sets' our offense at least once in 50% of his possessions that are not fast breaks. It drives me crazy.

3) LOL, right!?! Like let's go! We don't need 60% of our team standing around under our basket while the other team sets up their defense!
Last edited by Indy on Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Aleksej Pokusevski's stats are really something. He's shooting 11.5 times per 36 minutes and averaging 22.5% FG% and 16.3 3P% (7 attempts/36). His True Shooting % is 27.5%. He has yet to attempt a free throw. Yeesh.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:47 pm
Aleksej Pokusevski's stats are really something. He's shooting 11.5 times per 36 minutes and averaging 22.5% FG% and 16.3 3P% (7 attempts/36). His True Shooting % is 27.5%. He has yet to attempt a free throw. Yeesh.
The difference between him and Bender is that Poku isn't scared. We'll find out in time if that actually makes a difference.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Guess who's having trouble against a zone defense; the Brooklyn Nets.

Remember that next time the Suns struggle to get good shots against a good zone.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:06 pm
Shabazz wrote:
The difference between him and Bender is that Poku isn't scared. We'll find out in time if that actually makes a difference.
He could probably stand to be a little more scared.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:40 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:06 pm
Shabazz wrote:
He could probably stand to be a little more scared.
He should be not scared in the GLeague while he's living in the weight room too.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

My heart skipped a beat for a second on this one

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:27 pm
ShelC wrote:

1) It is troubling how often he has said things publicly that shows he is deferring to Paul

2) I would be Paul 're-sets' our offense at least once in 50% of his possessions that are not fast breaks. It drives me crazy.

3) LOL, right!?! Like let's go! We don't need 60% of our team standing around under our basket while the other team sets up their defense!
+1 to all this

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

specialsauce wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:23 am
Indy wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:27 pm
ShelC wrote:

2) I would be Paul 're-sets' our offense at least once in 50% of his possessions that are not fast breaks. It drives me crazy.

+1 to all this
Someone's going to have to explain to me why Paul ALWAYS lets the ball roll to him to maximize the clock when he's bringing the ball up the court, especially when we have the lead. I understand it if there's like 35 seconds left in a quarter and you're trying to do a 2 for 1, or if we're down and you're trying to maximize the time to make a comeback, but he does it so much when we have the lead and there's no real sensical reason. All it does is lets the defense get set.

Split T

Post by Split T »

You can spend the whole 24 seconds in the half court if you don’t touch the ball in the backcourt...kinda joking, but I think there’s some truth to it. Paul likes to utilize the whole shot clock to get the best look.

That’s how he’s always played and I think it’s something we’re just going to have to accept to a certain degree. At least off made shots. I have seen him push the ball ahead more in transition...we haven’t been as slow the last few games.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:18 am
You can spend the whole 24 seconds in the half court if you don’t touch the ball in the backcourt...kinda joking, but I think there’s some truth to it. Paul likes to utilize the whole shot clock to get the best look.

That’s how he’s always played and I think it’s something we’re just going to have to accept to a certain degree. At least off made shots. I have seen him push the ball ahead more in transition...we haven’t been as slow the last few games.
I would like to believe this, but:

Q: How many times are we rushed to find a shot with less than 5 on the shot clock?

A: Too many fucking times!

Paul wastes so much time.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

I heard/read somewhere that the Suns current pace is the third-slowest in the NBA.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Indy

Post by Indy »

LazarusLong wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:10 pm
I heard/read somewhere that the Suns current pace is the third-slowest in the NBA.
NBA.com has us 29th in pace.

11th in OfRtg
9th in DefRtg
11th in Net Rtg

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

In other news, Kelly Oubres name is in trade rumors already.

I told ya so.