Around the League: Week 6 1/25-1/31

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Around the League: Week 6 1/25-1/31

Post by Split T »

It’s gonna be interesting to see what the Nets look like come playoff time. I think their guys will play more defense when it matters. While none of Kyrie, Harden, or KD are known for defense, they are capable of being ok. Their offense is unreal, so if they can just be average defensively, they’re dangerous. Think they need to find a 5th starter that brings some defensive ability. DeAndre Jordan is not the answer.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

The Nets are the silly goofy future that the old tough guys on tv have been warning us about since they first added the 3pt line. It's a circus show. I wonder at what point the league makes an adjustment to the way the game is refereed to bring some balance.

In stark contrast this playoff series happened in '02:
https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... stons.html
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:05 pm
The Nets are the silly goofy future that the old tough guys on tv have been warning us about since they first added the 3pt line. It's a circus show. I wonder at what point the league makes an adjustment to the way the game is refereed to bring some balance.

In stark contrast this playoff series happened in '02:
https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... stons.html
I really wish they would make 3 changes (one is way bigger than the others):

1) Go back to the old continuation rules for And 1s--if I guy doesn't put the ball on the floor and continues his move/shot, count it.

2) Combine clear path and intentional foul stopping a break to be much more harsh, to the point where it makes no sense to do it.

3) Expand the court. Make it 10 feet wider and 6 feet longer. Then 3 point line can be a full semi-circle with all of the shots the same distance away, and this makes it harder to double in the paint/post, leading to more post games instead of just 3pt and dunks.

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:00 am
ShelC wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:40 am
It was a weird ending with Nash and the crew taking criticism for not taking a TO up 2 to advance the ball.

Strange that a team with Kyrie, KD and Harden, coached by Nash, Amar'e and MikeD aren't playing much defense and can't see to get stops when needed...
Lol!

The all offense and no defense strategy.
It may be entertainment, but not entertainment I want to watch😬

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JJ Redick it is.
"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I don't see it with either player. Trade viability or need.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Would happily take either, not willing to give up much more than Moore/Carter/Alexander and a second round pick.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Reddick is too expensive and not attainable without giving up a core contract. You could conceivably get Lonzo if you include Jalen plus 3 minimum deals...it’s not crazy, but Lonzo probably wants to get paid this offseason and that runs us into some trouble.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:40 am
Strange that a team with Kyrie, KD and Harden, coached by Nash, Amar'e and MikeD aren't playing much defense and can't see to get stops when needed...
Shawn Marion endorses this message.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:53 pm
I don't see it with either player. Trade viability or need.
I would love to see Lonzo in the second unit. And maybe Coach Paul gets him to improve to be the heir apparent.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Split T wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:03 pm
Reddick is too expensive and not attainable without giving up a core contract. You could conceivably get Lonzo if you include Jalen plus 3 minimum deals...it’s not crazy, but Lonzo probably wants to get paid this offseason and that runs us into some trouble.
Actually it's way easier than it looks. Jevon Carter (can be traded by March 02; trade deadline this year is March 25) and two/three min filler guys (Moore, Nader, Damiand Jones, for instance) work under the CBA for Reddick or Lonzo since they don't make absurd money (13M and 11M) and we cand send out as less as 5M or 25% of their salary.

It would be a matter of agreeing on draft compensation for NOP.

Again, for moves like these is why keeping Kaminsky at 5M was useful, but they chose to just save money.

As for fit, I thing both could be interesting. Lonzo as the heir apparent, as INF says; he is not going to be an allstar due to what seem like unsolvable limitations, but he can defend, makes threes and his passing is great. Something like a Rubio 2.0. Next contract is a question mark. Reddick is a pure shooter who generates a lot of gravity and is not a liability on defense, so any team can use that.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Also of note is that Reddick and Paul have history together and are friends.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I think Lonzo really only makes sense if they expect Cam Payne to miss a lot more time with his injury. If they think he can be healthy for the second half of the season, then I think they should give him a shot at regaining his position in the rotation.

If the playoff bench rotation is Saric, Payne, Cam/Crowder, Nader/Galloway/Carter/Moore, is Reddick enough of an upgrade to give up something of value? He'll be 37 in four months and is having an absolutely terrible season.

He clearly wants out of NO to play for at least a good playoff team, and NO is trying to do well by him. That means they don't have leverage unless there's a real bidding war, which seems pretty unlikely.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Oh ho.....
I know he can be inconsistent from 3 but this is surprising

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Indy

Post by Indy »

I would love to see Lonzo on our team if it meant we didn't have to give up any of our starters or 2nd unit bigs. But I am assuming they want future assets since Lonzo is already an expiring contract. The only contract we have going past this season that I would part with is Carter. They would clearly want more than that, and I don't think a Carter, Moore, Jones, and Galloway get it done.

carey

Post by carey »

Indy wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:57 am
I would love to see Lonzo on our team if it meant we didn't have to give up any of our starters or 2nd unit bigs. But I am assuming they want future assets since Lonzo is already an expiring contract. The only contract we have going past this season that I would part with is Carter. They would clearly want more than that, and I don't think a Carter, Moore, Jones, and Galloway get it done.
Not just that, but it might be tricky sign him this summer with Mikal and Ayton becoming eligible for their extensions and 1 more year of Chris Paul at $40M+. If Sarver would swallow the tax for a season maybe. Lonzo would need to be cool with coming off the bench one more year also.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

jonh

Post by jonh »

carey wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:00 am
Indy wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:57 am
Not just that, but it might be tricky sign him this summer with Mikal and Ayton becoming eligible for their extensions and 1 more year of Chris Paul at $40M+. If Sarver would swallow the tax for a season maybe. Lonzo would need to be cool with coming off the bench one more year also.
Agreed. In a vacuum, adding Lonzo is a great idea. But when you think about (a) what it would take to get him (future draft picks) and more importantly (b) what it would take to retain him from a salary cap standpoint, it just doesn't make sense.

Though I wonder if Paul's reputation and the team's continued success allows them to pick up a quality player later on in the season.

carey

Post by carey »

jonh wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:06 am

Though I wonder if Paul's reputation and the team's continued success allows them to pick up a quality player later on in the season.
For sure, we're definitely a candidate to add someone off the waiver wire. I'd probable even have my bags packed if I were D. Jones.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:14 am
Split T wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:03 pm
Actually it's way easier than it looks. Jevon Carter (can be traded by March 02; trade deadline this year is March 25) and two/three min filler guys (Moore, Nader, Damiand Jones, for instance) work under the CBA for Reddick or Lonzo since they don't make absurd money (13M and 11M) and we cand send out as less as 5M or 25% of their salary.

It would be a matter of agreeing on draft compensation for NOP.

Again, for moves like these is why keeping Kaminsky at 5M was useful, but they chose to just save money.

As for fit, I thing both could be interesting. Lonzo as the heir apparent, as INF says; he is not going to be an allstar due to what seem like unsolvable limitations, but he can defend, makes threes and his passing is great. Something like a Rubio 2.0. Next contract is a question mark. Reddick is a pure shooter who generates a lot of gravity and is not a liability on defense, so any team can use that.
Reddick doesn’t make as much as I thought... and the trade machine wouldn’t let me use Carter at the time, so I forgot about him.