Suns News: Week 7 2/1-2/7

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Suns News: Week 7 2/1-2/7

Post by Indy »

A worse move (arguably) would be to not extend him and lose him for nothing (because if we aren't going to extend him, I can't see us wanting to match the max deal he receives).

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

My big fear is that Paul makes him look good this year and next, he gets the max and then in 2 years doesn't have Paul making things easier for him and reverts back - assuming we don't add another high level PG who can push him and keep him going.

My biggest fear is he gets his max and comes into the following training camp looking like Jerome James.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

jonh wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:21 am
Is it the worst move? This feels like an exaggeration. The worst move the Suns could make this offseason would be things like offering Dragon Bender a max contract, hiring you as a PR rep to hype the return of Kelly Oubre, partnering with head and shoulders in order to entice Rubio to come back to the team, or deciding that Sarver should answer post-game questions from the media every game. To me, I would classify giving Ayton a max salary as a questionable decision, rather than the worst move.
Go on...

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:11 am
Like, I get it. That is why you put in the work. They are not doing this for free and they shouldn't be. They should try and get the most money they can get. But you need to know not to say the quiet part out loud. And it makes me worry that once we give him the max extension, he doesn't have to try hard anymore.
I actually don't. I like getting paid too but I also like my job and want to do the best I can at it even if I wasn't being paid well. But just like sports, the two go hand in hand. I keep working at my craft and I keep getting paid better.
"Be Legendary."

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

This board overreacts so much with Ayton. :lol:

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't like Ayton's comments about getting big contracts. But I think a lot of other players feel the same way, they just have the experience and common sense not to say it out loud. I've chased raises and contracts and promotions in my career, too. I don't mind if that's a goal he has set for himself as long as he also puts in work to be a better player and earn that deal rather than thinking of it as the end goal in itself.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:35 pm
Indy wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:11 am
Like, I get it. That is why you put in the work. They are not doing this for free and they shouldn't be. They should try and get the most money they can get. But you need to know not to say the quiet part out loud. And it makes me worry that once we give him the max extension, he doesn't have to try hard anymore.
I actually don't. I like getting paid too but I also like my job and want to do the best I can at it even if I wasn't being paid well. But just like sports, the two go hand in hand. I keep working at my craft and I keep getting paid better.
Yeah, for us commoners, sure.

But let's say you like working in audio design for video games. But you don't like working in graphic hardware design. You don't*hate* it, but it doesn't interest you all that much.

But you could do it better than most people in the world. And if you could do it well enough for 3 years, someone would give you a guaranteed contract for 5 years at 30M per.

I think you would find a way to make yourself like it enough until you got to that contract, but would you want to spend every waking minute training to be better at that job once you had that contract they couldn't take away from you? It is really hard to stay motivated in a job you think is OK, but don't love. Especially if you don't even need the job and will get paid anyway.

Atreides

Post by Atreides »

Wally_West wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:40 pm
Yeah, I think that we should just be patient with him. He has all the tools, but just need some time to work it all out. Wow I'm talking like Monty now :oops:
"The falling leaf does hate the wind"

Indy

Post by Indy »

Atreides wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:43 pm
Wally_West wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:40 pm
Yeah, I think that we should just be patient with him. He has all the tools, but just need some time to work it all out. Wow I'm talking like Monty now :oops:
:lol:

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:15 pm
Suns fans! This is the season you’ve been waiting for and the team you’ve been dreaming about. Come join us at Phoenix Suns Arena to cheer on the new era of basketball in person, beginning Feb 8.

We have been hard at work collaborating with local health officials and preparing our venue to host a limited number of fans in the safest possible way. From special certifications to arena modifications, we’ve done the legwork to ensure your experience is streamlined, contactless and, of course, safe.

The home of the Suns and Mercury is now a GBAC (Global Biorisk Advisory Council) STAR™ accredited facility—a performance-based accreditation program that helps facilities demonstrate they have the work practices, procedures and protocols to prepare for, respond to and recover from outbreaks and pandemics.

Below are key highlights of our safety measures – view the full list at Suns.com/COVID

Fan Promise: Prior to attending ticketed games, all guests at Phoenix Suns Arena will be required to submit a Fan Promise—an online, standardized health questionnaire about COVID-19 symptoms and exposure. The Fan Promise will be accessible via the Official Suns App sponsored by Verizon and must be completed by every fan, employee and vendor entering the venue.

Masks: Wearing masks will be mandatory for entry and must be worn at all times unless actively eating and drinking and only in ticketed seats.

Social Distancing: Physical distancing will be required at all times, particularly in queueing areas (arena entrance, concessions, restrooms and Team Shop) which will be clearly marked and monitored by arena staff. All attended points of sale will have Plexiglass barriers between fans and staff. There will also be six-foot physical distancing in the arena bowl between parties in ticketed seating pods.

Contactless Accommodations: Phoenix Suns Arena has transitioned completely to paperless ticketing and hands-free, cashless transactions through the Official Suns App sponsored by Verizon. The arena transformation also now features touchless restroom facilities (sinks, paper towel dispensers, toilets, urinals). Additionally, hand-sanitizer stations will be available throughout the concourses on all levels of the arena.

Venue Improvements: As part of the Phoenix Suns Arena transformation, a new HVAC system has been installed to more effectively and thoroughly circulate and filter air throughout the arena and promote healthy air quality. Additionally, escalator handrails have been equipped with UV-C technology which eliminates harmful bacteria from this high-touch surface.

Our limited capacity means fans can stay safely distanced – and it also means you’ll want to secure your seats to all the best matchups right away. Fortunately, your PayPal SixthMan Member status gives you priority access to tickets before anyone else! See below for your exclusive presale information.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Well... as long as they promise.
"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

They probably figured we've survived the last 10 years as Suns fans, how bad can this Covid thing be in comparison?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The Suns have surely affected my liver more than COVID ever will.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I just don’t understand why these sporting events with social distancing can’t do a better job of distancing.

For example, I’ve seen fans in the stands of football stadiums. They allow 2K fans in, and instead of spreading them across the stadium for maximum distancing- they put them all in one section. Like, wtf? You understand that 6 feet is a recommendation but if someone sneezes it does travel a hell of a lot further than that. You have a 70k capacity stadium and you put all 2k in one section.

If the Suns were allowing 1500 in and truly utilizing the entire arena to spread each group as far away from each other as possible along the lower bowl- I would go.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I think from an operations standpoint it costs less money keeping most, if not all fans, in one or two sections since it cuts down on needing staff like ticket takers, ushers, security, concessions in other areas across the stadium/arena. Why open up and staff the entire arena when you get can 1500 in and out and confined to one area?

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:01 pm
I think from an operations standpoint it costs less money keeping most, if not all fans, in one or two sections since it cuts down on needing staff like ticket takers, ushers, security, concessions in other areas across the stadium/arena. Why open up and staff the entire arena when you get can 1500 in and out and confined to one area?
Oh I don’t know, maybe so you kill less families.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Yea but money.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:09 pm
Yea but money.
Get rich or die tryin’

Split T

Post by Split T »

Only 3 teams worse than us on wide open 3’s.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:21 am

Only 3 teams worse than us on wide open 3’s.
Well, last night was a great example of it. Both Booker and Cam were missing wide open 3s. And then it seemed like the Pelicans couldn't miss from 3 in the 2nd half.
"Be Legendary."