Around the League: Week 7 2/1-2/7

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Around the League: Week 7 2/1-2/7

Post by carey »

Nationally televised games this week

Monday: Phoenix @ Dallas 8:30 PM EST NBATv
Tuesday: L.A. Clippers @ Brooklyn 7:30 PM EST TNT, Boston @ Golden State 10:00 PM EST TNT
Wednesday: Indiana @ Milwauke 7:00 PM EST ESPN, Phoenix @ New Orleans 9:30 PM EST ESPN
Thursday: Golden State @ Dallas 7:30 PM ESTTNT, Denver @ L.A. Lakers 10:00 PM EST TNT
Friday: Toronto @ Brooklyn 7:30 PM EST ESPN, Boston @ L.A. Clippers 10:00 PM EST ESPN
Saturday: Denver @ Sacramento 5:00 PM EST NBATv, Golden State @ Dallas 8:30 PM EST ABC
Sunday: Boston @ Phoenix 2:00 PM EST NBATv

NBA News

Golden State Warriors rookie James Wiseman out with sprained left wrist - https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/308 ... left-wrist

Charlotte Hornets rookie LaMelo Ball gets first career start vs. Miami Heat - https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/308 ... miami-heat

Lonzo Ball trade rumors: 5 best fits - https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/lonz ... rall-pick/

James Harden Strip Club Habit Derailed 2012 Finals according to Perkins - https://www.tmz.com/2021/02/01/kendrick ... ba-finals/

Power Rankings Roundup

NBA Power Rankings: 76ers challenge Jazz for top spot; Lakers drop out of top three; Mavericks take steep fall - https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba- ... teep-fall/
#10 - Suns
The Suns went 2-1 this week without the services of Devin Booker, and Chris Paul took it upon himself to pick up the scoring slack. The veteran averaged 24.7 points and seven assists this week, while Jae Crowder added 15.7 points per game on 40 percent 3-point shooting. Phoenix also made up for the lack of offensive explosiveness by playing suffocating defense, something it has consistently done all season.
NBA Power Rankings: Can the LA Clippers stay atop the Western Conference? - https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/308 ... conference
#10 - Suns
After falling in their first two games without Devin Booker, who was sidelined with a left hamstring injury, Phoenix bounced back with wins over Golden State and Dallas to finish off the week. The Suns' win on Saturday over the Mavericks featured a vintage Chris Paul performance. Paul registered 29 points and 12 assists and did most of his damage in the fourth quarter. He had 16 points and five assists in the final stanza alone; it was only the third time in Paul's career he has had at least 15 points and five assists in a fourth quarter, according to ESPN Stats & Information research. The last time was Nov. 12, 2008, against the Lakers. -- Lopez
Power Rankings, Week 7: Clippers jump Lakers for No. 1 spot; Nuggets enter Top 5 - https://www.nba.com/news/power-rankings-2020-21-week-7
#10 - Suns
After having five straight games determined in clutch time and seeing two last-minute shots for the lead (one, two) rim in and out against Oklahoma City on Wednesday, the Suns finally got their first comfortable win of January. In what was their best defensive game of the season (93 points allowed on 103 possessions), they put the Warriors away with a big, bench-fueled run midway through the fourth quarter. They got back to nail biting on Saturday, but beat the Mavs with a 9-0 featuring three straight Chris Paul pick-and-rolls that resulted in a Paul jumper (he got to his spot), a lob to Deandre Ayton, and a Jae Crowder 3-pointer.

Paul’s 3-point percentage (30%) is his lowest mark since his rookie season. His effective field goal percentage (48.9%) and true shooting percentage (54.9%) are both his lowest marks since his second season. But he remains strong from mid-range (50% between the restricted area and the 3-point line) and his two highest scoring games of the season (32 and 29 points) have come in the last five days.

The Suns scored less than a point per possession in each of their first two games sans Devin Booker, but are now 2-2 without the leading scorer, who’s listed as questionable for the second game in Dallas on Monday. Cameron Payne and Dario Saric remain out.
NBA Power Rankings: Quarter-season grades and a new No. 1 - https://theathletic.com/2343763/2021/02 ... -new-no-1/
#8 - Suns
Two weeks ago, I would’ve assumed the Phoenix Suns would be getting an A at the quarter mark. Even without Devin Booker and Chris Paul playing at the level we expect them to perform, the Suns were grading high above expectations. All of the role players were succeeding, and the balance/depth of this team was on full display. However, a couple of misfortunes and a little injury to Booker brought them down to earth a bit. It’s not a bad thing, but it took away the momentum we saw from Phoenix to start the season. We just have to hope they don’t slide like they did last season, but CP3 should help keep the focus sharp enough to avoid it.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

BKinSJC

Re: Around the League: Week 7 2/1-2/7

Post by BKinSJC »

I would really love to believe that the Suns are a legitimate top 10-level team, that they'll for sure make the playoffs and at least be competitive for a round or so. It seems like there's so little margin for error in the Western Conference this year, though, and so much inconsistency in the team that shows up on a nightly basis. I'm still not ready to hope. Yet.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Thanks for the thread, carey.

I think those 10 and 8 power ranking ratings are generous. We have had a rough patch lately. I don't think this team looks like a contender, yet. They may get there over the course of the season.
James Harden Strip Club Habit Derailed 2012 Finals according to Perkins - https://www.tmz.com/2021/02/01/kendrick ... ba-finals/
Wow. That's pretty amazing. Can you imagine losing a title because your teammate couldn't stay out of the titty bar?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Not many teams have distanced themselves though early in the season. There’s reason to put the LA teams and Utah at the top, perhaps Philly too, but record wise there is a big jumble. I believe the suns have the 9th best record, so 8 and 10 seem perfectly reasonable.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:44 am

I think those 10 and 8 power ranking ratings are generous. We have had a rough patch lately. I don't think this team looks like a contender, yet. They may get there over the course of the season.
Wow. That's pretty amazing. Can you imagine losing a title because your teammate couldn't stay out of the titty bar?
Umm, do you remember 1993 and 1994 and 1995?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

You wouldn’t be talking about Barkley would you?

Indy

Post by Indy »

He is literally famous for that shit.

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

Indy wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:47 am
Mori Chu wrote:

We really could and should have taken the Bulls to 7. And I really don't know why we couldn't finish the Rockets off when we were up 2 to 0 and 3 to 1, respectively. There's no doubt in my mind we would have beaten the Knicks in 94 and the magic in 95.

Oddly enough, and I should find this interview, but I know Charles Barkley has said that Olajuwon was harder for them to deal with than Jordan and the Bulls🤷‍♂️

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Fred VanVleet had a game

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:19 pm
Indy wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:

We really could and should have taken the Bulls to 7. And I really don't know why we couldn't finish the Rockets off when we were up 2 to 0 and 3 to 1, respectively. There's no doubt in my mind we would have beaten the Knicks in 94 and the magic in 95.

Oddly enough, and I should find this interview, but I know Charles Barkley has said that Olajuwon was harder for them to deal with than Jordan and the Bulls🤷‍♂️
Totally agree with him. Don’t think he was talking about Olajuwon’s offense. That famous KJ dunk on Olajuwon was a total frustration dunk. The paint was off limits with Olajuwon in there. I can’t remember all the details of that game. I do remember how frustrating it was.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Hakeem was special. He fairly much carried the Rockets to its first championship.
Led the team in points, rebounds, assists (narrowly), blocks and steals.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Indy

Post by Indy »

LazarusLong wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:05 am
Hakeem was special. He fairly much carried the Rockets to its first championship.
Led the team in points, rebounds, assists (narrowly), blocks and steals.
And Kenny is still cashing in on those coattails.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:56 pm
Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:19 pm
Indy wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:

Totally agree with him. Don’t think he was talking about Olajuwon’s offense. That famous KJ dunk on Olajuwon was a total frustration dunk. The paint was off limits with Olajuwon in there. I can’t remember all the details of that game. I do remember how frustrating it was.
Playoff losses do that. Such a heart breaking game.

jonh

Post by jonh »

Zach Lowe on the Mavs and the Suns. Highlights issues with Paul/Booker. Praises the Suns defense. Talks about how frustrating it is to watch Ayton's lack of consistent aggressiveness on both offensively and defensively. Lots of love for Bridges-there's a long arm Bridges joke, and says he is about to get paid.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/m ... 0507480310

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I joked alot about their loss to the Wizards but this is a surprising stat. This stat shows they are doing better than I realized and honestly last night showdown against the Clippers was some decent basketball.

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Indy

Post by Indy »

Is it just me, or does that look nothing like KD? The other two are fine, but that isn't Durant.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I think it looks like KD, just that the beard is drawn in too thick.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Ammm, interesting one this.

I mentioned this already and not sure if it was gradually building up from the move to OKC or this is all about his time at Clippers but PG comments/interviews seem to have him on everybody Hate List at the moment. It isn't just the Bubble Lakers either as he's been saying that he finds everyone be talking ish to him this season.

Oh and it is funny too how much talking/posting Duds has done about his championship lol. hey Bless him, the stars always say ya can't do it without the bench/practice guys.....

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:39 am
I think it looks like KD, just that the beard is drawn in too thick.
The beard is part of it. But he also looks 30 pounds bulkier.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:38 am
Is it just me, or does that look nothing like KD? The other two are fine, but that isn't Durant.
It definitely is not as well done as the others.
"Be Legendary."