Game Day: Suns (11-8) @ Pelicans (7-12), Wed, 2/3/2021

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: Game Day: Suns (11-8) @ Pelicans (7-12), Wed, 2/3/2021

Post by ShelC »

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

We knew the Pels were a tough matchup with their frontcourt. We just don't have the bulk up front outside of DA and Crowder and even then DA isn't so physical and Crowder's still undersized. Combine that with the missed 3s and you get a blowout. Maybe Dario helps some so it'll be good to get him back on the bench. Cam is definitely all out of sorts on offense which compounds any defensive/size issues we have with him at the 4spot. I maybe would've started Crowder last night specifically for the Zion matchup because it wasn't really fair to ask Cam to take on that assignment.

SVG said it was the Pels' best game of the season and it looked that way. They played hard and tough D throughout, looked like a SVG team.

We need to figure out how to stay in games when the 3s aren't falling. The team is built to shoot, probably to a fault, and DA just isn't a guy you can ride until your shooters get hot.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

The cold shooting is a legit concern as we do have too many on the roster for all to be cold on the same night sheesh but as your first tweet states.....
I didn't like the fact that for me our effort went down the drain which Monty basically says

That's No Bueno
Start of the 3rd quarter seemed like we were reacting a step slow to all the loose balls
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Pistons, Wizards, Thunder, Pelicans.

All games they should have won, but just went through the motions.

They're going to have to learn they just can't roll the ball out there and beat anybody. Any team in the league, no matter how bad, can beat you if you sleepwalk through the game.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Now going through Suns twitter and seeing this
This is a real bummer, a shooting funk could come down to mechanical/fundamental , conditioning/dead legs or confidence. Just watching, I don't think it's anything wrong with his form and although he had the hip issue and calf issue his lift seems fine on his shot.
So I would prefer if it was something physical but right now it looks like confidence, overthinking, getting in his own head and none of those things would be ideal.

In the comment someone says this reaction by Monty is followed by him shooting the next one a couple possessions later which was the airball. I don't think he scored after then either :? :?
Monty is obviously telling him keep letting it fly but he thinks his shot is off so hesitated and then clanked the next two. Hopefully he figures it out because his shooting percentages been low for a decent stretch of games now
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Wasn't a great pass either and led him out a bit further from the 3pt line. He used to just let it fly but now I'm sure he's hearing they need guys to be threats off the dribble so he's overcompensating to that end. I think it's mental. He never used to miss his 3s this poorly, every shot looked like it was going in. He's gotta get that confidence back.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I didn't get to watch the game last night, but I saw the score. I decided to rewatch the match up from Dec 29th instead. We're winning so far!
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

ouch. that one hurt as much as the detroit game.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

None of Cams misses were even close. He made one quality shot and an absolute prayer in the lane. At some point you have to reel him back in until he gets right. His defense isn’t good enough to justify his current minutes.

Games like this where everyone is struggling with shooting we need Ayton to step up and score. But he won’t because he’s just a glorified role player who will get what the defense gives him rather than go get something in his own.

Really need a solid home stand to get back on track and send a message. Need to treat it as if it’s the bubble and they need to win 1 game seven times
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

djy2j wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:35 am
None of Cams misses were even close. He made one quality shot and an absolute prayer in the lane. At some point you have to reel him back in until he gets right. His defense isn’t good enough to justify his current minutes.

Games like this where everyone is struggling with shooting we need Ayton to step up and score. But he won’t because he’s just a glorified role player who will get what the defense gives him rather than go get something in his own.

Really need a solid home stand to get back on track and send a message. Need to treat it as if it’s the bubble and they need to win 1 game seven times
This team absolutely needs DA to be a consistent offensive weapon. The whole offense is oriented around spacing and 3s. If the 3s aren’t falling we’re toast unless DA, Book and CP3 can make shots inside.

Book and CP3 need a reliable third man that can get to the rim. Also they need to be able to get him the ball without it resulting in a turnover >50% of the time.

Split T

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:40 pm
djy2j wrote:

Book and CP3 need a reliable third man that can get to the rim.
Like Kelly Oubre?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:44 pm
specialsauce wrote:
djy2j wrote:

Book and CP3 need a reliable third man that can get to the rim.
Like Kelly Oubre?
lol was thinking the same thing

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

specialsauce wrote:
Book and CP3 need a reliable third man that can get to the rim. Also they need to be able to get him the ball without it resulting in a turnover >50% of the time.
Um, I think you are forgetting about a certain star player named Abdel Nader???

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

My God you guys did some good drugs today LOL

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:11 pm
right. he could get to the rim, and that is exactly what you asked for Sauce! :P

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Super interesting that both Kelly Oubre and TJ Warren were so far back in assist%. It matches the eye test. Both guys were talented scorers but could be black holes on offense.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

The truth is, we do miss Kelly's ability to play downhill and get to the rim. We knew we'd be giving that up, we anticipated Bridges and Cam getting better in that area but it's not their game. Going after his assist rate in that situation is kind dumb tho, since you want him getting to the basket and finishing the play, not kicking out to shooters who could miss (sound familiar?).

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:04 pm
The truth is, we do miss Kelly's ability to play downhill and get to the rim. We knew we'd be giving that up, we anticipated Bridges and Cam getting better in that area but it's not their game. Going after his assist rate in that situation is kind dumb tho, since you want him getting to the basket and finishing the play, not kicking out to shooters who could miss (sound familiar?).
agreed. I have seen (some very minor) flashes from Cam doing that, but not enough.

And Mikal has been showing some of that mid-range game of set plays, and his cuts with Frank distributing have been great. But when he isn't hitting 3s that stuff is much easier to guard.

I hope those shots come back soon. Do you remember how pure every shot from Cam used to look? Sheesh.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

ShelC wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:04 pm
Uh no. Kelly’s tunnel vision killed the flow of our offense and rhythm of his teammates. He scored 20 at the detriment of the overall team IMO. Let’s not rehash this and just agree to agree that Kelly fucking sucks