Around the League: Week 8 2/8-2/14

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
O_Gardino

Re: Around the League: Week 8 2/8-2/14

Post by O_Gardino »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:22 am
So does anyone understand the Gather and Two Steps :oops:
Smh lol
0 dribbles past the half court line.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

O_Gardino wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:24 am
On a more serious note, I talked a lot of shit about wanting Brandon Clarke last year, but he is struggling this year. We saw that video of how he "fixed" his shot over the summer, and what do you know, his %s are down drastically across the board. His rebounding and FTA are down, too.

Last year and in college, he looked like a championship caliber glue guy. So far this year he looks like a fringe NBA player.

Meanwhile our guy Cameron '#11' Johnson continues to look legit even when his 3s aren't falling.
Ya I can’t even imagine why he thought he needed to fix his shot. It was one of the ugliest things I’ve ever seen in college before Gonzaga. He fixed it, was a fine shooter, and now it’s ugly again. Even if you’re tweaking it a little, why would you ever choose the form that he’s got now? It makes zero sense to me why nba players do this.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

O_Gardino wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:17 am
Paul and Ayton for Rubio and Townes.

Ayton matches Edwards' timeline and there's not better player to mentor a young roster than CP3
I can totally see that trade happening. Let’s gitter done!

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Anytime a guy is asked or expected to fix his shot, it's a red flag. You can't take a shooting form a guy's been using most of life for thousands and thousands of reps in practices and drills and games over some 8-10 years and expect him to perfect a new shooting form over an offseason. Same thing with DSJ the past few offseasons when he was working with shot doctors to re-do his form. Almost always they revert back to their original shooting form or some messed up version of it because muscle memory kicks in.

Split T

Post by Split T »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:54 am
Anytime a guy is asked or expected to fix his shot, it's a red flag. You can't take a shooting form a guy's been using most of life for thousands and thousands of reps in practices and drills and games over some 8-10 years and expect him to perfect a new shooting form over an offseason. Same thing with DSJ the past few offseasons when he was working with shot doctors to re-do his form. Almost always they revert back to their original shooting form or some messed up version of it because muscle memory kicks in.
Ya, I use my thumb on my guide hand to help push the ball when I shoot. Probably needed it to get a little more distance when I was little. Every now and then I think about trying to fix that, but it’s so hard when I’m not completely focused on it.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

NBA warns LeBron James, Kyle Kuzma for flopping vs. Memphis
Lakers receive first warning for violating anti-flopping rule this season

https://www.si.com/nba/lakers/news/la-l ... r-flopping

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:08 am

I'm actually surprised that the league warned them.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

ShadowHawke

Post by ShadowHawke »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:24 am
Nodack wrote:

I wish the league would require all refs to take some basic physics classes. No really, if two player collide, one of them will not go flying away faster than the impact speed.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:40 am
O_Gardino wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:17 am
Paul and Ayton for Rubio and Townes.

Ayton matches Edwards' timeline and there's not better player to mentor a young roster than CP3
I can totally see that trade happening. Let’s gitter done!
LOL

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

ShadowHawke wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:32 am
In2ition wrote:
Nodack wrote:

I wish the league would require all refs to take some basic physics classes. No really, if two player collide, one of them will not go flying away faster than the impact speed.
Haha, true. I'm sure that the Lakers are laughing this warning off in the locker room.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Tell that to Jeff Hornacek.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Crowder made an egregious flop attempt on a three last night. I cringed. He basically just fell to his right trying to make contact. I said to the screen, "Come on! We don't need that!"
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:35 am
ShadowHawke wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Nodack wrote:

Haha, true. I'm sure that the Lakers are laughing this warning off in the locker room.
Don't you know? It's the Lakers. They can do anything they want.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:58 am
In2ition wrote:
ShadowHawke wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Nodack wrote:

Exactly. That's why they are laughing, it's all theatre in LA. They can get away with this without any repercussions, and even if they were fined, they could pay those with the loose change found in their cars.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:07 am
Superbone wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:58 am
In2ition wrote:
ShadowHawke wrote:
In2ition wrote:

Exactly. That's why they are laughing, it's all theatre in LA. They can get away with this without any repercussions, and even if they were fined, they could pay those with the loose change found in their cars.
:lol:
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:54 am
ShelC wrote:
Did he change his shot? It looks like from his college and pro percentages he was always a really good shooter. His rookie year was a little low when he played limited minutes and only taking 4 shots a game, but other than that it looks stellar.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:19 am
Superbone wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Did he change his shot? It looks like from his college and pro percentages he was always a really good shooter. His rookie year was a little low when he played limited minutes and only taking 4 shots a game, but other than that it looks stellar.
IIRC, he had the same problem Split described: using the thumb on his off hand. A few months of practicing with his thumb taped to his hand corrected it in his case.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:35 am
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
ShelC wrote:
IIRC, he had the same problem Split described: using the thumb on his off hand. A few months of practicing with his thumb taped to his hand corrected it in his case.
Ah, I think that was a little before my time. thanks!

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:47 am
Cap wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:35 am
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Ah, I think that was a little before my time. thanks!
If you Google Hornacek tape thumb, you’ll find a lot of articles that mention it.