Suns News: Week 9 2/15-2/21

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Suns News: Week 9 2/15-2/21

Post by carey »

The Suns are on a 9-1 stretch and winners of 6 in a row including 2 wins versus the beasts of the East - Milwaukee & Philly. I kind of like it! It shouldn't be too hard to adjust to being a fan of a winning team, right? It's only been a decade. We have a huge matchup against the Nets on TNT Tuesday night. Let's get it!

Last Week's Games

vs. Cleveland WIN! 119-113
vs. Milwaukee WIN! 125-124
vs. Philly WIN! 120-111
vs. Orlando WIN! 109-90

This Week's Games

Tuesday, Feb. 16th vs. Brooklyn 10:00 PM EST TNT
Friday, Feb. 19th @ New Orleans 8:00 PM EST
Saturday, Feb. 20th @ Memphis 9:00 PM EST

Suns Stories

Center of the Sun: Suns blow through Week 8 undefeated - https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2021 ... week-8-nba

Locked On Suns Monday: Takeaways from the Suns’ six-game thrilling win streak - https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2021 ... win-streak

David's Newsletter "The 4-point-play" - https://thefourpointplay.substack.com/p ... good-shape

Repost of an article Shel posted worth reading about Frank - https://arizonasports.com/story/2539395 ... n-special/

Midrange needs to be a mainstay for Mikal Bridges - https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 481016001/
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Re: Suns News: Week 9 2/15-2/21

Post by Superbone »

Nice to have an all-win Suns News week! Thanks, carey!
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

There it is

Split T

Post by Split T »

Is that the team Ty-Shon is on?

Cap

Post by Cap »

Split T wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:38 am
Is that the team Ty-Shon is on?
He’s with the Canton Charge.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I'm rooting for Smith, but it's hard to spin this Smith news as anything but a failure. We had Halliburton sitting right there, but Jones was on a high from how well the Cam Johnson picked worked out and wanted to show he could do it twice in a row. Pick a surprise guy nobody saw coming, 10-20 picks earlier than expected, who was a hard worker and a good shooter, a James Jones reincarnated. Skip the sexy pick, the volume scorer, the guy with an unusual shooting form, the consensus pick; we're smarter than that. Only this time he really blew it. This time the consensus guy was the right guy, and we passed him up for a guy who hasn't had a single impactful moment in the NBA. I get that he had COVID, didn't get a training camp, etc., but at some point the guy is here and he's healthy and he isn't playing and you have to admit that we picked a guy who can't contribute right now to an NBA roster. I thought he was also touted as being really mature and NBA-ready and all of that. Not so much.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I haven’t seen enough of him in a Suns uniform to really judge him.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya, he’s had a rough go...no summer league, short training camp, got Covid. I’ll wait till next year to make a judgement on him. We still should have taken Haliburton though.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:29 pm
I'm rooting for Smith, but it's hard to spin this Smith news as anything but a failure. We had Halliburton sitting right there, but Jones was on a high from how well the Cam Johnson picked worked out and wanted to show he could do it twice in a row. Pick a surprise guy nobody saw coming, 10-20 picks earlier than expected, who was a hard worker and a good shooter, a James Jones reincarnated. Skip the sexy pick, the volume scorer, the guy with an unusual shooting form, the consensus pick; we're smarter than that. Only this time he really blew it. This time the consensus guy was the right guy, and we passed him up for a guy who hasn't had a single impactful moment in the NBA. I get that he had COVID, didn't get a training camp, etc., but at some point the guy is here and he's healthy and he isn't playing and you have to admit that we picked a guy who can't contribute right now to an NBA roster. I thought he was also touted as being really mature and NBA-ready and all of that. Not so much.
It's really hard to say in many cases. Would Haliburton get the playing time here with the Suns he's getting with the Kings? They're 12-14, which is an improvement for them but not 17-9 like the Suns.

Then again, it's not like Smith was getting any playing time for us either and he plays a position of need. We've been lucky that Kaminsky and Saric (when healthy) have been playing the PF and backup C position relatively well. Our roster doesn't really need more guards at this point. We need a physical PF / C to backup those positions for us.

I'm pretty sure if we drafted Haliburton, he wouldn't have had the success, at least to this point this season, he's had with Sacramento simply based on our inability to really develop young guys and our inability to give them a lot of playing time during the regular season. I'm sure if Smith was playing for a 12th seed team and getting a lot of minutes, you'd see much better production due to the consistent minutes.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Split T

Post by Split T »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:43 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
It's really hard to say in many cases. Would Haliburton get the playing time here with the Suns he's getting with the Kings? They're 12-14, which is an improvement for them but not 17-9 like the Suns.

Then again, it's not like Smith was getting any playing time for us either and he plays a position of need. We've been lucky that Kaminsky and Saric (when healthy) have been playing the PF and backup C position relatively well. Our roster doesn't really need more guards at this point. We need a physical PF / C to backup those positions for us.

I'm pretty sure if we drafted Haliburton, he wouldn't have had the success, at least to this point this season, he's had with Sacramento simply based on our inability to really develop young guys and our inability to give them a lot of playing time during the regular season. I'm sure if Smith was playing for a 12th seed team and getting a lot of minutes, you'd see much better production due to the consistent minutes.
The draft is before free agency, so I think we would’ve seen a different strategy had we drafted Haliburton. We probably don’t sign Moore and Galloway and focus on another big.

Haliburton has played just over 700 minutes...just about the same as Moore/Gallo/Carter have combined to play. He could have taken most those minutes.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

It's going to look like a bad pick until Smith becomes an impact player, There's no way around it.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

That said, my hope for him hasn't changed. He probably needs playing time just to get his legs and timing back, and I think Monty errs on the side of protecting young guys from situations where they can't succeed.

I'll start judging Smith next season, honestly.

jonh

Post by jonh »

Booker is the Player of the week:

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Bey really won POTW in the East?

Interestingly we're talking about Stix going to the Gleague and Bey was the SF/PF 3 and D a lot of us liked and thought could help up front.

I don't think there's much to Stix going to the GLeague for reps. If he can't crack the rotation next season, it'll be a bad sign.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Dang, 17.8 pts, 5.5 rbs, 2.0 asts and 3-1 wins is a low bar to get Eastern Conference Player of the Week.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Right? There was NO ONE else?

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:53 pm
Dang, 17.8 pts, 5.5 rbs, 2.0 asts and 3-1 wins is a low bar to get Eastern Conference Player of the Week.
No kidding. He averaged 26 minutes per game.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Yeah... Way too early to be making that call.
"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I guess everyone else got disqualified for losing to the Suns this week.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

But good for Booker. He deserves it.