Around the League: Week 9 2/15-2/21

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
MightyMoog

Re: Around the League: Week 9 2/15-2/21

Post by MightyMoog »

I don't think we need the drama any has been stars would bring with them. I don't think we have the bulletproof chemistry or the sheer talent to overcome all that. We're excelling as much on great chemistry and good work ethic as we are on talent.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:26 pm
Any interest in Cousins when Houston lets him go?

I certainly don't expect Jones to go after him, but it's interesting to think about.
No way.
"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I was just watching Kings-Bucks. Before the game I thought Jabari Parker might be an interesting buyout-season addition. But... yeesh. He does not look like an NBA player anymore. He’s really heavy and was running around like a chicken with his head cut off most of the game. Hard fall for a guy who looked like Melo 2.0 coming in to the league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

It’s strange he hasn’t been able to stick as an offensive guy. I get the defense is atrocious, but I don’t know why he couldn’t be a scoring punch off the bench.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I watched the end of the Nets game and got to watch Harden flop his way to victory. Pure, classic basketball.
"Be Legendary."

pickle

Post by pickle »

Shabazz wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:41 pm
I was just watching Kings-Bucks. Before the game I thought Jabari Parker might be an interesting buyout-season addition. But... yeesh. He does not look like an NBA player anymore. He’s really heavy and was running around like a chicken with his head cut off most of the game. Hard fall for a guy who looked like Melo 2.0 coming in to the league.
A few guys I'd be interested in, in no particular order:

Thad Young
Nemanja Bjelica
Larry Nance Jr.
Javale McGee (someone's already told me he's not a Jones guy, not sure what that means though)
Mason Plumlee

No idea whether all of these guys are available, and the cap gymnastics required to get any of these guys. I guess Nance is not gonna come cheap.

Would we take a chance on Love if he ever gets bought out?

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:19 pm
I watched the end of the Nets game and got to watch Harden flop his way to victory. Pure, classic basketball.
I saw the flop but I also saw Leonard try to throw one on his and other superstars forearm shivers to get open for a layup. The ones that never seem to get called. Harden might win an oscar for the flop.

It would be real nice to finish ahead of the Clippers. Thank you Mr Harden.
I wanted Monty as our coach since D'Antoni left town. Nice choice James Jones.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Interesting chart, and also totally unusual to see (out of this year) our beloved Suns going top rank on defensive charts!

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:29 am
Man good for them (Beal), don't know if it lasts or if they actually become relevant but hey

My "We can close on the Lakers cause they will struggle without AD take" 8-) :twisted:
B'day for the Ages !!
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:34 pm
Lebron's longevity is the most amazing thing to me
No surprise that he continues to astound as he was naturally a physical specimen and now making the necessary monetary investment in his health

As for the immediate situation, I think as with the bubble run that AD's growth/dominance was the key so as great as Bron is playing I think Lakers gonna struggle some in these games til the break.
If I'm being bold, and choose to look ahead....
It might even be setting up for us to close on them rapidly especially as we play them in this stretch :o
Join me peeps
Let's be BOLD and allow ourselves to Believe :D 8-)

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Counterpoint; these games don't really matter much for the Lakers and Nets. I included the Nets because I think they'll hold out Durant until after the break, just like it's becoming expected with AD. I don't think it's really a bad thing for those teams to get some mileage out of bench players right now even if they're losing games.

The Suns, Jazz, Sixers, and others in that group are going all to win every night right now.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:14 am
Counterpoint; these games don't really matter much for the Lakers and Nets. I included the Nets because I think they'll hold out Durant until after the break, just like it's becoming expected with AD. I don't think it's really a bad thing for those teams to get some mileage out of bench players right now even if they're losing games.

The Suns, Jazz, Sixers, and others in that group are going all to win every night right now.
I get what you're saying but Bron out there playing 40 a nite and I believe it's because they would like to win enough games early so that they can rest as they wish later on without losing much sleep over ramifications

My original post was from Indy and Split discussing if we can move higher than 4th so that was my take on why/how we can catch Lakers. So while I agree with your point that they will prioritize playoffs more than seeding, I don't think that it's that they're not locked in right now. I just believe they are not playing well period and missing AD shows their weaknesses in PnR D and rim protection which was a strength last season

Indy

Post by Indy »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:02 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:14 am

I get what you're saying but Bron out there playing 40 a nite and I believe it's because they would like to win enough games early so that they can rest as they wish later on without losing much sleep over ramifications

My original post was from Indy and Split discussing if we can move higher than 4th so that was my take on why/how we can catch Lakers. So while I agree with your point that they will prioritize playoffs more than seeding, I don't think that it's that they're not locked in right now. I just believe they are not playing well period and missing AD shows their weaknesses in PnR D and rim protection which was a strength last season
Oh, I think we can end up higher than 4th, but I was questioning the best (likely) final positioning. I would rather not face a healthy Lakers team until the latest possible round. And if Utah can keep this pace in the 2nd half, I would rather the seeding go Jazz-Lakers/Clippers-Suns. That way we avoid the Lakers in Round 1 and 2, then we can beat them in the Conference Finals. ;)

Indy

Post by Indy »

By the way, how freaking crazy would a Suns vs Nets finals be? Nash/Dantoni all offense/no defense vs us and the "our defense is our best offense" approach?

It would be in ultimate Suns fashion to finally prove that all-offense CAN win a championship. : (

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Indy wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:05 am
By the way, how freaking crazy would a Suns vs Nets finals be? Nash/Dantoni all offense/no defense vs us and the "our defense is our best offense" approach?
Given our luck, for that series Nash would unretire, suit up and play, and finally win a championship playing 7SOL ball. AGAINST the Suns.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:37 am
Indy wrote:
Given our luck, for that series Nash would unretire, suit up and play, and finally win a championship playing 7SOL ball. AGAINST the Suns.
We’re going to make the Finals with this team, then grumble about our bad luck and how nothing goes our way.

jonh

Post by jonh »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:37 am
Indy wrote:
This is a perfect example of what this last decade has done to us as a fanbase--we actively imagine elaborate and creative ways to be devastated so we don't get our hopes up too high.

Next week, my money is on the next story including Rubio riding onto the court on a horse (Putin-style) to destroy the Suns title hopes with a last second assist.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Abolish conferences

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:01 am

Abolish conferences
Yes. It is stupid. Nobody cares what conference you are in.