Game Day: Suns (17-10) @ Pelicans (12-16), Friday, 2/19/21

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: Game Day: Suns (17-10) @ Pelicans (12-16), Friday, 2/19/21

Post by ShelC »

I love Monty and I know he's covering for DA and trying to keep his head in the right space but to get "moments" from DA when he's on the court for 35 minutes is still kinda disappointing. And how many of these "moments" does DA need for his confidence, because Monty's been talking about that kind of thing for a while with DA too.

I wasn't displeased with DA's play last night in general and he really did provide a spark in the 4th. He was quicker all around, grabbing rebounds, making plays around the basket. It's just getting old hearing about the confidence building stuff at this point. Would rather Monty just talk about how he provided a spark with his energy.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I just want to know why it’s so hard for him to be consistently engaged. Remember those 4 games where he turned into an all-star big? He played great D on Zion 1 on 1, but he still gets lazy in transition(offense and defense). He showed back up in the 4th, but he was quiet in the middle quarters.

Maybe it’s not fair to be so critical...Bridges was also pretty invisible tonight and really didn’t provide any resistance on Ingram, but we hardly ever complain about him. I just think we could be a real contender if that 4 game sample of Ayton showed up every night. That’s why I’m so critical of him.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:09 am
bajanguy008 wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:53 pm
Book was just like us on here, a fan with a Front Row seat lol but I have no problem with that.
I actually think it was good on his part, he came in with the guys already rolling and even the times he got the ball around 8-10secs left in the shot clock he hot potato it back to CP3 to make the plays.

So good for him to understand there was no reason for him to command the ball or feel the need to get in on the action
EJ had it right. It felt like Booker had 10 points but he still led the team with 23.
True, I was only referencing the 4th quarter when the guys got going without him. I like the fact he didn't force anything especially as he left with 4 fouls getting too emotional
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:14 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:09 am
bajanguy008 wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:53 pm
Book was just like us on here, a fan with a Front Row seat lol but I have no problem with that.
I actually think it was good on his part, he came in with the guys already rolling and even the times he got the ball around 8-10secs left in the shot clock he hot potato it back to CP3 to make the plays.

So good for him to understand there was no reason for him to command the ball or feel the need to get in on the action
EJ had it right. It felt like Booker had 10 points but he still led the team with 23.
True, I was only referencing the 4th quarter when the guys got going without him. I like the fact he didn't force anything especially as he left with 4 fouls getting too emotional
No, I was totally with you. He let Paul do his thing and didn't try to force things.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Booker did get worked up and got what I think was his fourth foul and then a technical foul in the 3rd I think. Monty pulled him at that point to calm him down.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I just came back in here to say again, that 4th quarter was FUCKING AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!1

BlaCkAdDa

Post by BlaCkAdDa »

I just came here to give some love to Jae Crowder... man we're blessed to have him on the team!@

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:41 pm
And as the fans chanted his name hroughout the desert
Monty heard their cries and all was good in the Valley as MV-Frank returns lol

carey wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:45 pm
Jesus. That loss to the Nets had zero to do with that. Our second half defense was brutal.
Still, we have a starting lineup that works. Stop messing with it. Even if Monty feels like it isn't optimal against a certain team, just stick with it and make early substitutions if necessary.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

ShelC wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:49 pm
I love Monty and I know he's covering for DA and trying to keep his head in the right space but to get "moments" from DA when he's on the court for 35 minutes is still kinda disappointing. And how many of these "moments" does DA need for his confidence, because Monty's been talking about that kind of thing for a while with DA too.

I wasn't displeased with DA's play last night in general and he really did provide a spark in the 4th. He was quicker all around, grabbing rebounds, making plays around the basket. It's just getting old hearing about the confidence building stuff at this point. Would rather Monty just talk about how he provided a spark with his energy.
Thank you.

I'm just done with it. If we're going to have orange slices and Caprisuns for Ayton every time he makes a decent play, and then just ignore the rest of the blown opportunities and losing plays, then fine.

I'll just be content with the Suns playing great. And you know what narrative I'll ignore, Monty? The one from the organization that was made when they drafted Ayton #1 and proclaimed him a generation talent. I'll ignore the Dominayton narrrative that comes from...DEANDRE AYTON.

Ayton is a very good rebounder, solid defender, and overall decent role player. That's it, and I guess we all have to settle for that. :roll:
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

DeAndre Ayton is a generational role player.

How many other #1 overall picks can claim that?
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:27 pm
bajanguy008 wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:41 pm
And as the fans chanted his name hroughout the desert
Monty heard their cries and all was good in the Valley as MV-Frank returns lol

carey wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:45 pm
Jesus. That loss to the Nets had zero to do with that. Our second half defense was brutal.
Still, we have a starting lineup that works. Stop messing with it. Even if Monty feels like it isn't optimal against a certain team, just stick with it and make early substitutions if necessary.
This starting lineup working may have less to do with Frank and more to do with how the rest of the rotation sets when he starts the game between Jae and Cam.

I like how we have looked, whether it has anything to do
with Frank or not. Keep it going.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The Suns have tied and broken their franchise record for three pointers made in a game in the last two games. That's probably been more impactful on winning than who starts at PF.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:39 pm
The Suns have tied and broken their franchise record for three pointers made in a game in the last two games. That's probably been more impactful on winning than who starts at PF.
Maybe, but what did Frank shoot in those last 2 games?

Looked it up.

7 of 11 is pretty damn good.

In his starts he is shooting 54% from 3.

In his other games, he is 33.3%.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

5-6 against the Pels, which I'd bet everything I own he won't do again for the rest of his career. He also didn't play in the 4th quarter when the game was swung. It could be said that his early shooting helped keep the Suns in the game.

And 2-5 against the Grizzlies, which is his realistic ceiling at this point.

I agree with Saucy that starting Frank seems to help the rest of the rotation function better, but it's kind of like eating the worst vegetable on your plate first when you were a kid. It's a sound strategy, but brussels sprouts still taste bad.

MightyMoog

Post by MightyMoog »

But watching Frank's little success in the starting 5 at least makes me understand what Jones was going for in the Jaylen Smith pick. I know there is absolutely no evidence that Smith will ever become as good as Frank yet, but if he were to meet his full potential, I could see how he could be a great fit in the starting 5.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Brussel sprouts are great--would you like some recipes?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

You guys are all just Frank haters!
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Frankly, you guys suck!
"Be Legendary."

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Frank shooting has been better than expected but what I like the most about his play is he's doing the Dario role

We have all for the most part wanted our starting 4 to be a knock down shooter and/or athletic defensive big. So I can understand why we are judging Frank by can we really count on him to hit shots and defend consistently. What if though his value is as a connector to use Monty term.

More often than not he makes solid reads and his chemistry with Mikal is awesome. It's like a pocket QB without athleticism who is always looking for his Hot Read/slot receiver :)

The advanced stats are there to show that he isn't part of our best lineups but I will throw out another reference. The Warriors would start Ezeli, Zaza, Looney or whoever over the years but everyone knew the money lineup included Iggy
So to those who are more concerned with if the rotations/role work and who closes the games well it's not the most far fetched thing we're doing

Just my two cents :oops:
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Exactly and totally agree about him as a connector with the starters.

Frank's not a 30+ min starting PF but his impact shouldn't be minimized either during this stretch. It's not unlike when we'd bring LB off the bench. He was great for in that role as a 6th man, but as a 30+mg starter, he was less effective. Frank's the opposite. And if Frank continues hitting his 3s, I see no reason to change anything.

It's a sum of the parts thing with him, where he plays his role really well with the starting group. But bringing both he and Saric off the bench leads to redundancy on offense and doubling down on the lack of athleticism up front. We're basically platooning the PF spot right now between Frank, Cam and Jae and it's working. Stick with it.