Game Day: Blazers (18-11) @ Suns (19-10), Mon 2/22/21

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Game Day: Blazers (18-11) @ Suns (19-10), Mon 2/22/21

Post by Indy »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:52 pm
We're going to the Finals.
That is the spirit! I am with you until our next bad loss and I say we will barely make the play in and get bumped in the 1st round

Indy

Post by Indy »

Wally_West wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:08 pm
Good for Jevon.
Thought the same thing. I am always rooting for guys that give maximum effort on defense every second they are on the court. Not very Suns-like over the last 30 years.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:27 am
Don’t look now, but after a slow start Booker is shooting above 50% for the season, which would be the best FG% of his career and 38.1% from 3, which is .2% off his career high.
THIS! I am loving his efficiency coming back. And his back court mate is having a 50/40/90 season. And it isn't like they are combining for 20 shots a night. They combine for 31 shots a night.

Then you look at the next top shot takers, Ayton and Bridges, and they have even better efficiency. We are getting 69 PPG on under 51 shots per game from our top 4 guys.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This team is so freaking fun. It feels kind of 2004-esque in that a lot of the pieces were there before and were losing. But then 1-2 key changes occur and suddenly, boom, the team is a playoff team and a quasi-contender almost overnight. It's really fun to see everything come together and click like this. After 10 rough years, I'm so grateful for a season like this. Watching every game wire-to-wire and hooting and hollering at the guys, it's so much fun. I even have my 3-year-old daughter sit with me and watch parts of the games. She doesn't really get what's going on, but she claps and says "Go Suns!" with me every time they score. Fun season.

jonh

Post by jonh »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:48 am
This team is so freaking fun. It feels kind of 2004-esque in that a lot of the pieces were there before and were losing. But then 1-2 key changes occur and suddenly, boom, the team is a playoff team and a quasi-contender almost overnight. It's really fun to see everything come together and click like this. After 10 rough years, I'm so grateful for a season like this. Watching every game wire-to-wire and hooting and hollering at the guys, it's so much fun. I even have my 3-year-old daughter sit with me and watch parts of the games. She doesn't really get what's going on, but she claps and says "Go Suns!" with me every time they score. Fun season.
Its crazy how much a hall of fame point guard really helps everyone else play better. We saw it with KJ, Kidd, Nash, and CP3.

One other thought. I just can't get over how much an engaged Ayton takes the team to a whole other level. I feel like I complain about him more than most here, but he raises the potential ceiling of the team so much through his defense and offensive gravity.

Last thought here that is more based on my particular research stream--I wonder if the personality of Ayton meshes well with Paul. Ayton seems more than willing to be taught (almost acting childlike), whereas Paul always seems willing to teach/instruct. I would say that Mikal (and even Booker, to a lesser extent) have also seemed more than willing to heap praise and listen to Paul. I wonder if that's why we haven't heard about the same amount of animosity and simmering resentment that has seemed to plague the teams that Paul has been on.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Mori Chu wrote:
For me, it's a bit of '04 and a bit of '05. There has been an infusion of good role players. I can't tell you how happy I am watching the bench / role players this season. We have 4 more nba players than we had last season.

Code: Select all

CP3         >   Rubio   (but not as beautiful or endearing)
'21 Book    >   '20 Book
'21 Bridges >   '20 Bridges
'21 Ayton   ?   '20 Ayton

Payne       >   Tye Jerome
Moore       >   Ellie Okobo
Galloway    >   Tyler Johnson
'21 Carter  ?   '20 Carter

Crowder     ?   Oubre   (but not as beautiful or endearing)
'21 Johnson >   '20 Johnson
Nader       >   ?

'21 Saric   >   '20 Saric
MVFrank     >   Kaminsky
?           ?   Baynes
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

How great is it that we can get a blowout like this?

CP3 - 2 points
Ayton - 5 rebounds
Kaminsky, Crowder, Payne, and Galloway all shot poorly.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Spoiler: show/hide

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:16 am
How great is it that we can get a blowout like this?

CP3 - 2 points
Ayton - 5 rebounds
Kaminsky, Crowder, Payne, and Galloway all shot poorly.
And against a team that is neck and neck with us in the playoff race. I realize they were missing key guys, though.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Dame got to watch his favorite player to watch from close up.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:18 am
Split T wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:50 pm
E’Twaun has at least 3 offensive boards tonight...good hustle...if he could get his shot going
I think EJ was saying that he is just always hanging around, and it pays off. I have been pretty happy with him this season.
Yes, after a rough start, I agree. He's been solid. I'm pretty happy with all the off-season acquisitions.
"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

James Jones!
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

carey

Post by carey »

jonh wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:11 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Its crazy how much a hall of fame point guard really helps everyone else play better. We saw it with KJ, Kidd, Nash, and CP3.

One other thought. I just can't get over how much an engaged Ayton takes the team to a whole other level. I feel like I complain about him more than most here, but he raises the potential ceiling of the team so much through his defense and offensive gravity.

Last thought here that is more based on my particular research stream--I wonder if the personality of Ayton meshes well with Paul. Ayton seems more than willing to be taught (almost acting childlike), whereas Paul always seems willing to teach/instruct. I would say that Mikal (and even Booker, to a lesser extent) have also seemed more than willing to heap praise and listen to Paul. I wonder if that's why we haven't heard about the same amount of animosity and simmering resentment that has seemed to plague the teams that Paul has been on.

It’s early. I think Paul’s shtick wears on you over the long run because he’s relentless with it. We will see how the team responds in year 2.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Our scheme was so good last game and it was the rotation and weakside D that was really dictating what Dame could or could not do
Mikal still did a great job but I forget to highlight that it was kool seeing my other Avatar Bro also being used as a primary defender on Dame
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Just posting this because I know like carey, others had/have concerns about CP3 leadership style and that's what we've heard and seen over the years.
I do think either the youngsters appreciate him more/willing to listen, like with OKC and that is happening again here or maybe he's gotten better.

This was Barnes take

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Thanks for posting that, bg. I don't watch these shows so it's good to see the Suns-centric ones.
"Be Legendary."