2021 NBA Draft Prospects

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
O_Gardino

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Prospects

Post by O_Gardino »

BKinSJC wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:56 pm
O_Gardino wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:38 pm
Any thoughts on Neemias Queta? I can't tell if he's a good basketball player or if he's just taking advantage of smaller competition in the NCAA. Is he quick enough to play in the NBA? Does he actually have the court awareness that his assist number indicate?
Me, a couple pages ago:
I do think that Neemias Queta out of Utah State has a chance to be a pretty decent backup big. He's not as athletic as you'd like, and can disappear at times, but he has good size at 7 feet with a 7'4" wingspan, shows rim protection instincts and surprisingly good court vision and passing ability for a young center. I think he's got a possible role as a defender + connector-type, and could see him early-to-mid second round.
Mocks I've seen lately have him closer to the 23-27 range. Might be gone by the time the Suns draft. I'm not completely sure we could afford to take big guys that might not work out in back-to-back years, anyways.
Thanks for the repeat. I haven't been reading all of the threads the last month or two, so I miss a lot.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

sunshoopjunky

Post by sunshoopjunky »

I really want to see us draft someone that has a knack for getting FTA preferably, a PF.
Phoenix Suns - The art of taking a punch.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Reading this ESPN article, and Day'ron Sharpe seems quite intriguing. Ringer's Kevin O'Connor has him mocked to Phoenix at 29 as well.
Every year, there are 'situational' sleepers who are better suited for the NBA than college. Who is your favorite player in that mold?

Schmitz: A potential lottery pick entering his freshman season at North Carolina, Day'Ron Sharpe could be a great value pick for an organization that dives deeper into his high school career at Florida's Montverde Academy and considers the situational factors that limited his per-game production in Chapel Hill. Having recently watched Sharpe work out in Los Angeles, he is in far better shape than he was as a freshman (down from 278 pounds to 260), looks like he has legitimate potential as a floor spacer from 3 and really impressed with his lively nature and personality in our film session.

Playing behind two UNC bigs in senior Garrison Brooks and sophomore Armando Bacot, Sharpe was limited to just 19.3 minutes per game over 29 contests. Oftentimes playing alongside either Bacot, Brooks or fellow center Walker Kessler when he was on the floor, Sharpe figures to be far more efficient from inside the arc (52%) and even more effective as a passer (already a strength) when surrounded by shooting. The best rebounder in the draft (15.7 per 40 minutes) with Isaiah Stewart-like ball pursuit, Sharpe's physicality, instincts, touch and feel for the game give him a sturdy floor.

Staying in tip-top shape will be key for Sharpe, as his margin for error as a perimeter defender is much flimsier than bigs with Mobley-like fluidity. But Sharpe does have good instincts, and he played with a strong motor alongside Cunningham, Barnes and Moses Moody at Montverde. It's usually Kentucky prospects who outperform relative to expectations, but Sharpe is one of my favorites to earn that title next season as a rookie.