Suns News: Week 11 3/1-3/7

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: Suns News: Week 11 3/1-3/7

Post by ShelC »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:01 am
And now we wait. Four days until our next game. At least it will give Booker some recovery time.
Hopefully there's some positive update on Book soonish. Kinda getting myself mentally ready for him to miss some time.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Congrats on CP3 passing Magic for all-time All-Star assists. But if I were Magic, I'd be annoyed that the All-Star game ain't what it used to be. They don't even really try any more. It's just an exhibition of silly plays and trick shots, one step removed from the Harlem Globetrotters. The defense is absolutely pathetic and the overall effort level just isn't there. The players have figured out that the game is meaningless and don't look at it as a competitive situation where they want to beat each other and show who's the best of the best. It's just a silly exhibition, a meaningless game that they use to show off alley-oops and circus shots on a barely-trying defender. So I don't think CP3's assists and stats in general are as legit as Magic's.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:40 am
Superbone wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:01 am
And now we wait. Four days until our next game. At least it will give Booker some recovery time.
Hopefully there's some positive update on Book soonish. Kinda getting myself mentally ready for him to miss some time.
Bummer
I took a social media break this weekend and came here first to see if y'all posted anything :oops:
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

The comments on this are kinda funny

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:18 am
Congrats on CP3 passing Magic for all-time All-Star assists. But if I were Magic, I'd be annoyed that the All-Star game ain't what it used to be. They don't even really try any more. It's just an exhibition of silly plays and trick shots, one step removed from the Harlem Globetrotters. The defense is absolutely pathetic and the overall effort level just isn't there. The players have figured out that the game is meaningless and don't look at it as a competitive situation where they want to beat each other and show who's the best of the best. It's just a silly exhibition, a meaningless game that they use to show off alley-oops and circus shots on a barely-trying defender. So I don't think CP3's assists and stats in general are as legit as Magic's.
I don’t recall the All Star Game ever being anything more than a meaningless exhibition game where they don’t really try. They can’t really try. Someone could get hurt if they played defense and I think not getting hurt is the highest concern during the All Star Weekend. It’s supposed to be a friendly match for fun.

Yes, it’s really boring.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Paul's all-star assists are just as meaningful as Magic's.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The All-Star game is and has always been a marketing tool to attract kids, the next generation of fans.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

BAMF

Post by BAMF »

Indy wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:02 am
BAMF wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:18 am
Danimal wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:09 pm
Not sure where to post this but have seen some rumours the kings want to trade Bagley. Any idea what their fan base thinks of him?
I'm good if they dont want much in return. He went to Corona Del Sol so his home here in the Valley. He and DA have played together and are friends as well. He will need to get on board with being in a TEAM and get his defense game in line. But I am sure he has always wanted to play here. If you have seen his draft interviews I think he wanted to be here more than anything.
how did I miss that he went to my high school?!?
When did you go? Do you know Jay Ward he is a really great friend of mine.

Indy

Post by Indy »

BAMF wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:57 am
Indy wrote:
BAMF wrote:
Danimal wrote:
Not sure where to post this but have seen some rumours the kings want to trade Bagley. Any idea what their fan base thinks of him?
I'm good if they dont want much in return. He went to Corona Del Sol so his home here in the Valley. He and DA have played together and are friends as well. He will need to get on board with being in a TEAM and get his defense game in line. But I am sure he has always wanted to play here. If you have seen his draft interviews I think he wanted to be here more than anything.
I am old. I graduated there in 94.

BAMF

Post by BAMF »

Jay is older lol class of 87 lol
Last edited by BAMF on Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:55 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:18 am
I don’t recall the All Star Game ever being anything more than a meaningless exhibition game where they don’t really try. They can’t really try. Someone could get hurt if they played defense and I think not getting hurt is the highest concern during the All Star Weekend. It’s supposed to be a friendly match for fun.

Yes, it’s really boring.
You probably have to go back to the late 80's or early 90's.

My guess would be that the game that started changing things was Magic's return in 1992 when all the players wanted to go one-on-one with him at the end of the game. That had a different tone, but it was still putting a competitive game secondary to putting on a show.

Still, give the fans what they want. If most of them want a different All-Star Game than I do, I just won't watch it, after all, I don't watch the NFL Pro Bowl because the tackling and all-around effort is just horrible.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:38 pm
The All-Star game is and has always been a marketing tool to attract kids, the next generation of fans.
And reward sponsors.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Split T

Post by Split T »

You’re never going to get all the best players on the court competing at a high level for a game that doesn’t mean anything. This has been the case for as long as I remember when it comes to the all-star game. I think you just have to view it in a different light...or just don’t watch it, like Bobster said.

The Elam ending stuff is fun. Though it didn’t matter this year. I’m all for getting creative. Maybe have 4 captains select 7-man teams and do shortened tournament style games, put a 4pt shot on the court, etc. I like they’ve added longer shots to the 3pt contest. I feel like they could change up the skills challenge..that one is mostly a dud.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:58 pm
You’re never going to get all the best players on the court competing at a high level for a game that doesn’t mean anything. This has been the case for as long as I remember when it comes to the all-star game. I think you just have to view it in a different light...or just don’t watch it, like Bobster said.

The Elam ending stuff is fun. Though it didn’t matter this year. I’m all for getting creative. Maybe have 4 captains select 7-man teams and do shortened tournament style games, put a 4pt shot on the court, etc. I like they’ve added longer shots to the 3pt contest. I feel like they could change up the skills challenge..that one is mostly a dud.
It is awful. I mean, the stuff they do, any middle school player can do. And probably not much slower than they do. It isn't a test of skill. And head-to-head sounds like a good idea, until you watch it. Put some real skills in there, make it timed (or scored, like you get 5 passes to make as many of those as possible). Then top 5 advance to finals or something. But ugh, the current iteration sucks.

I would really like to go back to a HORSE game (but I assume you sponsor it so they play NIKE or something).

BKinSJC

Post by BKinSJC »

Indy wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:34 pm
BAMF wrote:
Indy wrote:
BAMF wrote:
Danimal wrote:
If you're old, what does that make me? I'm a CDS grad also - class of 1981. Second graduating class ever, and first to go four years at the school.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:15 pm
Split T wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:58 pm

It is awful. I mean, the stuff they do, any middle school player can do. And probably not much slower than they do. It isn't a test of skill. And head-to-head sounds like a good idea, until you watch it. Put some real skills in there, make it timed (or scored, like you get 5 passes to make as many of those as possible). Then top 5 advance to finals or something. But ugh, the current iteration sucks.

I would really like to go back to a HORSE game (but I assume you sponsor it so they play NIKE or something).
The players don’t even give an effort, it’s pathetic and pointless

Indy

Post by Indy »

BKinSJC wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:43 pm
Indy wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:34 pm
BAMF wrote:
Indy wrote:
BAMF wrote:

If you're old, what does that make me? I'm a CDS grad also - class of 1981. Second graduating class ever, and first to go four years at the school.
Distinguished, I guess. ;)

You went there more years than me too. I went to Westwood through my sophomore year, then CDS my last 2.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Two years at Arcadia and two at Saguaro for me. And you and I are the same class, BK.
"Be Legendary."