Suns News: Week 12 3/8-3/14

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Flagrant Fowl

Re: Suns News: Week 12 3/8-3/14

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

A lot of these issues would be figured out if Cam Johnson and Ayton were 2 years more into their development. They're just not ready for playoffs, but the only way they'll get there is through experience. So as much as I like Nance, adding him via trade isn't going to move the needle towards being a title contender that much right now.

Assuming good health for everyone, the Suns are clearly behind the Lakers and Nets this season. They'd also likely be underdogs against Utah, Denver and the Clippers. I just want them to get some good playoff reps this year and the FO make good decisions in the summer based on how the young guys performed.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

pickle

Post by pickle »

I'd also add Bridges and maybe Payne to that group. At this point Bridges feels like a Marion type third wheel. Good at many things, but not great at the one thing you kind of need in a tough playoff match up -- dependable crunch time scoring. I also have some hopes for Payne to become a very dependable 6th man, as Paul ages and Ayton continues to improve. Hopefully we can lock him up this off season at a reasonable rate while he continues to grow.

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:08 pm
A lot of these issues would be figured out if Cam Johnson and Ayton were 2 years more into their development. They're just not ready for playoffs, but the only way they'll get there is through experience. So as much as I like Nance, adding him via trade isn't going to move the needle towards being a title contender that much right now.

Assuming good health for everyone, the Suns are clearly behind the Lakers and Nets this season. They'd also likely be underdogs against Utah, Denver and the Clippers. I just want them to get some good playoff reps this year and the FO make good decisions in the summer based on how the young guys performed.
Disagree.

Oatmeal

Post by Oatmeal »

pickle wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:01 am
I'd also add Bridges and maybe Payne to that group. At this point Bridges feels like a Marion type third wheel. Good at many things, but not great at the one thing you kind of need in a tough playoff match up -- dependable crunch time scoring. I also have some hopes for Payne to become a very dependable 6th man, as Paul ages and Ayton continues to improve. Hopefully we can lock him up this off season at a reasonable rate while he continues to grow.
I don't know, his shooting/cutting/defense are all borderline great. He's our Shane Battier. Super glue guy. Gluperstar if you will.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:20 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

Disagree.
Which part? We clearly don't have the talent of the Lakers and Nets. You think we would be the odds on favorite against the other teams? Maybe Denver, but everyone else I think would get better odds than us.

Doesn't mean we can't overcome those odds, though!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I'd love to get Nance Jr. Wouldn't trade Ayton (!) for him, but I'd give any of our end-of-the-bench guys plus a future 1st. Would they want Galloway or Moore? Not eager to part with either, but they might be more appealing than Carter who has fallen off a cliff this year.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I would love Nance on this team. He would give us everything we HOPED for from Crowder, PLUS a boost of athleticism which he desperately need in the front court.

He makes Crowder entirely redundant though IMO, because I’m not cutting Cam, Mikal or Darios minutes with the addition of Nance.

Would be a bad look to move Crowder elsewhere so he can get minutes, but the right basketball move to me.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Oatmeal wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:57 am
pickle wrote:
I don't know, his shooting/cutting/defense are all borderline great. He's our Shane Battier. Super glue guy. Gluperstar if you will.
I will not.
"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

The only trade for Nance that makes sense for the Suns is one where Crowder or Cam Johnson go. From a minutes perspective anyway. You can't trade for him and play him less than 25ish minutes per game. You can't just add him to the rotation without taking someone out. Sure, he can have Kaminsy's minutes. But the rest have to come from wings playing the 4.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Oatmeal wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:57 am
pickle wrote:
Early candidate for Post of the Month.

Gluperstar
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Charlie Smithy!

Indy wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:17 am
Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

Disagree.
Which part? We clearly don't have the talent of the Lakers and Nets. You think we would be the odds on favorite against the other teams? Maybe Denver, but everyone else I think would get better odds than us.

There isn't a single team I don't think the Suns couldn't beat in a seven-game series.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Gluperstar is incredible.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Charlie Smithy!

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:57 pm
Gluperstar is incredible.
And, frankly, so are you.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:40 pm
Indy wrote:
Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

Disagree.

There isn't a single team I don't think the Suns couldn't beat in a seven-game series.
OK, I like your optimism. But that wasn't what was said. It was the Lakers and Nets would be favored to win against the Suns, if everyone was at full health. Same is probably true for the Clips, Jazz and (maybe) Nuggets. I would bet on us against 3 of those 5 teams if I had to bet the house. But not all 5.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:34 pm
Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Indy wrote:
Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

Disagree.

OK, I like your optimism. But that wasn't what was said. It was the Lakers and Nets would be favored to win against the Suns, if everyone was at full health. Same is probably true for the Clips, Jazz and (maybe) Nuggets. I would bet on us against 3 of those 5 teams if I had to bet the house. But not all 5.
We have a puncher’s chance against anybody, but a championship means pulling off three straight upsets.

The Vegas line has been moving a bit lately, but you can still get 28-1 on us to win it all. I guess that’s contender status, but barely.

Charlie Smithy!

Indy wrote:
Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Indy wrote:
Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

Disagree.

I know what was said, Indy. And I know what the odds are. I simply just don't give a shit.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:50 pm
Indy wrote:
Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Indy wrote:
Charlie Smithy! wrote:

Disagree.

I know what was said, Indy. And I know what the odds are. I simply just don't give a shit.
YSMF!!!

That’s the mindset we need!! The Bubble mind set all over again... if you don’t mind, this would be my new sig...

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:12 pm
Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Indy wrote:
Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Indy wrote:

YSMF!!!

That’s the mindset we need!! The Bubble mind set all over again... if you don’t mind, this would be my new sig...
Indy should know better. "Never tell me the odds!"

"Be Legendary."

Charlie Smithy!

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:12 pm
Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Indy wrote:
Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Indy wrote:

YSMF!!!

Haha, go for it, Aztec. Anything to stick it to Indy!🤣

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

“Devin should be fine. He had a good couple of days here, had a good day today before the team took off to Portland,” general manager James Jones told Arizona Sports’ Burns & Gambo on Wednesday. “I’d expect him to be ready to rock tomorrow. He, as well as the other guys, they have enjoyed this breaking just trying to get a little healthier and get set for the second half of the season.”

Jones added that the team will be at full strength except for forward Cam Johnson, who remains out due to health and safety protocols.

Jones doesn’t anticipate having to make splashy moves like that of the Brooklyn Nets signing Blake Griffin after the Detroit Pistons bought out his contract. Instead, the general manager believes that the team will have to continue to improve “internally” and build from within.

"I think we’ll still employ that next-man-up [mentality]. All 14 guys on our roster need to be ready to contribute and be thrown in the fire because that’s kind of how we’re built.”