Game Day: Timberwolves (9-31) @ Suns (26-12), Thurs 3/18/21

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Game Day: Timberwolves (9-31) @ Suns (26-12), Thurs 3/18/21

Post by Split T »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:17 pm
Split T wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:00 pm
Don’t think Monty had the right game plan defensively...admitted as much post game. Think we’ll see us defend differently tomorrow. Should have adjusted and thrown another defender into the KAT/ANT pick n roll. Those 2 were the only ones doing anything until the end.
I'm happy with Monty in general but not trying to hear that. I could understand if Wolves had some wrinkle going in the 4th and we struggled to adjust. They were doing the same thing whole game, KAT n Edwards had 41 of the 53 at Half iirc.
So Plan B should have been implemented at some point not wait til tomorrow
Oh well sigh smh
Ya I don’t know what he was thinking. We had the lead the whole time...maybe thought we’d pull it out anyways and didn’t want to risk any big adjustments. Not gonna lie, Ayton may not do well with a big defensive adjustment mid game. But they were shredding us with Saric out there too. And most of it was just Edwards taking turns beating all our guys off the dribble.

I think you said it, we needed to play a little off ANT and cheat off Okogie, force ANT to give the ball up or beat us with jump shots.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:24 pm
bajanguy008 wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:17 pm
Split T wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:00 pm
Don’t think Monty had the right game plan defensively...admitted as much post game. Think we’ll see us defend differently tomorrow. Should have adjusted and thrown another defender into the KAT/ANT pick n roll. Those 2 were the only ones doing anything until the end.
I'm happy with Monty in general but not trying to hear that. I could understand if Wolves had some wrinkle going in the 4th and we struggled to adjust. They were doing the same thing whole game, KAT n Edwards had 41 of the 53 at Half iirc.
So Plan B should have been implemented at some point not wait til tomorrow
Oh well sigh smh
Ya I don’t know what he was thinking. We had the lead the whole time...maybe thought we’d pull it out anyways and didn’t want to risk any big adjustments. Not gonna lie, Ayton may not do well with a big defensive adjustment mid game. But they were shredding us with Saric out there too. And most of it was just Edwards taking turns beating all our guys off the dribble.

I think you said it, we needed to play a little off ANT and cheat off Okogie, force ANT to give the ball up or beat us with jump shots.
I was just about to post this. The Suns did not make the defensive adjustment they needed to make at halftime.

The Wolves, on the other hand, did. Book had 5 FTA in the first half and 2 in the second. We can complain about the officiating all we want, but the Wolves adjusted to the way the game was called and the Suns did not.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

djy2j wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:07 pm
O_Gardino wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:58 pm
Sometimes I wonder how good DA would have been if he had come to the NBA when he was still young enough to jump. It's a testament to his tremendous athleticism that he can still move like this in his late 30s.
I’ll cut him some slack. He’s probably just worn out from being the only NBA player with a kid.
Your patience with him didn't last long. :lol:
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Dario missing on purpose, down 2 with 7 seconds left was dumb. Dario missing on purpose, down 2 with 7 seconds left and Kaminsky and Paul as the rebounders was galaxy brain dumb.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Torrey Craig would have been nice against Edwards.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Shabazz wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:24 am
Put aside what you want to believe about Torrey Craig on the Suns.

The best he'd have done against Edwards is maybe get him to take an extra bad shot or possibly fouled him well enough to prevent the and one.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Meh, shit game. We were mostly flat, only Book and maybe Mikal seemed really locked in. We let them hang around, let Edwards do what he wanted and then KAT got hot and we paid the price. First ineffective game for Dario in...ever? He looked a little tired and had trouble with KAT and Reid's size and athleticism. Thought Edwards was getting way too many superstar calls for a rook yet Book hardly gets a whistle. DA was DA. He rarely gets the better of the matchup against top bigs at this point. No show of force, no dominayton, no aggression...just is what it is. Good to see Gallo and Carter get some run. Interested to see what adjustments are made against Edwards and KAT tonight.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

No Bueno

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I didn't watch the second half, but it sure looks like we let two guys beat us. KAT is a talented player, but I don't like his body language. He lurches his body around; he looks out of shape and often kind of flails or stumbles to get to his spot or make a play. This was the first game I've seen where Edwards looked like a real stud. It seems like he's starting to figure things out and is on his way to becoming a special player.

It was tough to watch Ayton get in foul trouble and basically get taken out of the game. I don't think he's why we lost, but he didn't help us enough. He seems like he's in a weird middle zone as a center. The center position around the league seems to be morphing into one of two things: some teams have genuine big men like Towns, Embiid, Jokic, Gobert; and the other teams put in a smaller guy who can hit 3s and hopefully provide some defense and rebounds. Ayton is closer to being a true big man, but he isn't quite big enough to stop most of the aforementioned top big centers; he isn't good enough at outside shooting to pull the bigger guys away from the basket; and he isn't strong or aggressive enough in the post to punish most of the smaller centers. His defense is pretty good, but he gets into foul trouble guarding the big centers, and he has trouble switching on smaller players in the P&R. He's stuck in the middle.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:47 am
Shabazz wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:24 am
Put aside what you want to believe about Torrey Craig on the Suns.

The best he'd have done against Edwards is maybe get him to take an extra bad shot or possibly fouled him well enough to prevent the and one.
He’s got Crowder’s size but is quicker. The Edwards type is exactly the kind of player he matches up well with.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Once again...it's getting old already. This team continues to play down to it's opponent when playing perceived "inferior" teams. This is a characteristic of weak minded teams, imo. I was watching with a friend and my son, and we were commenting in the 3rd that the Suns were going to lose this game. It wasn't a surprise at all about the outcome. I blame this on the laissez faire attitude to these teams and Monty's bizarre lineups, rotations, and matchups throughout the game.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:38 am
I didn't watch the second half, but it sure looks like we let two guys beat us. KAT is a talented player, but I don't like his body language. He lurches his body around; he looks out of shape and often kind of flails or stumbles to get to his spot or make a play. This was the first game I've seen where Edwards looked like a real stud. It seems like he's starting to figure things out and is on his way to becoming a special player.

It was tough to watch Ayton get in foul trouble and basically get taken out of the game. I don't think he's why we lost, but he didn't help us enough. He seems like he's in a weird middle zone as a center. The center position around the league seems to be morphing into one of two things: some teams have genuine big men like Towns, Embiid, Jokic, Gobert; and the other teams put in a smaller guy who can hit 3s and hopefully provide some defense and rebounds. Ayton is closer to being a true big man, but he isn't quite big enough to stop most of the aforementioned top big centers; he isn't good enough at outside shooting to pull the bigger guys away from the basket; and he isn't strong or aggressive enough in the post to punish most of the smaller centers. His defense is pretty good, but he gets into foul trouble guarding the big centers, and he has trouble switching on smaller players in the P&R. He's stuck in the middle.
Ayton seems to becoming less and less effective by the day. Get some sleep, dude!
"Be Legendary."

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Yes it's at our expense but man I don't recall the last time I see him smile/laugh in a press conference

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Didn't Rubio play poorly for us last year after he had a kid?

Split T

Post by Split T »

His first game as a new dad was one of his best of the year, 25/13/8/4, but ya he struggled over the next few weeks before getting it going again.