Around the League: Week 14 3/22-3/28

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Around the League: Week 14 3/22-3/28

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:29 pm
The Sacramento Kings have responded to the numerous qualified head coaches available by extending Luke Walton's contract by 5 additional years.
Smart organization. I expect them to be in the playoffs next year.

Not.
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

NBA All Rook Teams

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

pickle

Post by pickle »

It feels like Boston Portland and Dallas are all going to look substantially different come October. Also how many picks do the thunder have now... 18?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:09 pm
Furlanfufi wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:36 pm
Superbone wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:32 pm
Superbone wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:30 pm
Indy wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:15 pm
I missed this the first time I read it, but the way he ends his note is a big FU to Cuban.
I missed that. I'll have to go back and re-read it.
Oh, yeah. Cuban is not-so-suspiciously missing from his thank you list.
The first Mark is not Cuban?
Oh, I don't know what Indy is talking about then.
He literally had a guaranteed contract in place to coach the Mavs for two more years. And he comes out and says I quit. And not just, I quit because I want to spend time with my family/focus on myself/blah (even if that isn't true). He says, I quit THIS job, and can't wait to coach SOMEWHERE ELSE.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

pickle wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:57 am
It feels like Boston Portland and Dallas are all going to look substantially different come October. Also how many picks do the thunder have now... 18?
I don't know what OKC is doing. Sam Presti in an idiot. They would have to have at least 50% roster turnover each year to support all the draft picks they have coming in. That would be assuming they trade some of them. People have said they will have leverage but it works both ways. Teams knwo they will HAVE to unload some of those picks just the same. You can't have a successful rebuild having that much roster turnover year in and year out as we all know.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Indy

Post by Indy »

djy2j wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:59 am
pickle wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:57 am
I don't know what OKC is doing. Sam Presti in an idiot. They would have to have at least 50% roster turnover each year to support all the draft picks they have coming in. That would be assuming they trade some of them. People have said they will have leverage but it works both ways. Teams knwo they will HAVE to unload some of those picks just the same. You can't have a successful rebuild having that much roster turnover year in and year out as we all know.
I think it depends on how you use those picks. Yeah they can't realistically play 6-7 rookies each year, but they don't need to.

And remember this team drafted future MVPs in back to back to back drafts. And none of them were the first pick.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:20 am
NBA All Rook Teams

Is this a typo? Where is Jalen Smith? WTF! #robbed

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:46 am
ShelC wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:20 am
NBA All Rook Teams

Is this a typo? Where is Jalen Smith? WTF! #robbed
Apparently, nobody watched the last game of the season! :shock:
"Be Legendary."

pickle

Post by pickle »

I think Presti is doing a great job. He’s literally turning trash into treasure, everyone knows he’s doing it, and nobody can stop him. Yes he does have too many assets and when he tries to make future trades he might end up overpaying a bit like people say we did when we used the Miami pick to move up six spots to grab Mikal. And look how that turned out.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

pickle wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:35 pm
I think Presti is doing a great job. He’s literally turning trash into treasure, everyone knows he’s doing it, and nobody can stop him. Yes he does have too many assets and when he tries to make future trades he might end up overpaying a bit like people say we did when we used the Miami pick to move up six spots to grab Mikal. And look how that turned out.
And yet what the Suns paid was paltry compared to what was offered to Charlotte and Miami in the Booker draft to move up. Neither took the 6 picks, and Kaminsky and Winslow were selected instead.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Furlanfufi

Post by Furlanfufi »

I think Danny Ainge would retire early if Charlotte accepted those picks.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Remember when the knock on Luka at draft time was that he was immature and a bit of a head case. I’m thinking that is bubbling up right now. His head coach quits out of nowhere and said he would coach anywhere else? He can’t get along with the other “start” on the team? Luka may be very talented, but I think the Suns dodged a bullet not drafting him.

rhylek

Post by rhylek »

I was for drafting Luka, because he is a competitor, he would change the culture and help the team at pg (and we had Koko). But I was fearing he could not co-exist with Booker.
I had no problem with taking DA instead, because high quality centers don't grow up on trees, and what Luka would bring could be replaced with a mix other players (Rubio atfirst, then CP3 & Crowder).
DA is becoming what we hoped he would be. It took time, but not that much.
And maybe Luka is what we feared.
So yeah, I was not that upset we didn't draft Luka at the time, and I'm not upset at all now. The turnaround took one more year, but what a turnaround !!!

Split T

Post by Split T »

I love what Ayton has done this postseason, but we’re kidding ourselves if we wouldn’t rather have Luka. The guy is on a multiple mvp trajectory right now. Booker is like the perfect #2 to him. We’d be looking at a decade plus of deep playoff runs and multiple titles.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

It's kind of tiring and predictable the reports that come out about young players or some stars when things start going bad with the org. Luka's not a "headcase" and Carlisle didn't quit because of him. Maybe some Suns fans want to believe that because of all the Luka talk and hype since the draft, but he's not the problem and the Suns didn't "dodge a bullet" not drafting him.

rhylek

Post by rhylek »

I love what Ayton has done this postseason, but we’re kidding ourselves if we wouldn’t rather have Luka. The guy is on a multiple mvp trajectory right now. Booker is like the perfect #2 to him. We’d be looking at a decade plus of deep playoff runs and multiple titles.
If the two meshed well. (not saying Luka is a headcase, you don't have to be one to be a problem, there's only one ball on the floor).
I like Bouchard's take on Booker accepting to give the lead to Paul. Would have he done the same with the young Luka?
Plus Luka means no Ayton, no CP3, no Crowder.
Is Luka enough? Dallas has still to win a playoff series with him at the reigns.

Split T

Post by Split T »

rhylek wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:18 am
If the two meshed well. (not saying Luka is a headcase, you don't have to be one to be a problem, there's only one ball on the floor).
I like Bouchard's take on Booker accepting to give the lead to Paul. Would have he done the same with the young Luka?
Is Luka enough? Dallas has still to win a playoff series with him at the reigns.
I think Luka is ultra competitive and he would have meshed very well with Booker. They have a similar mindset. We wouldn’t have Ayton and probably wouldn’t have CP3, but we could have still signed Crowder and drafted Bridges and Cam. We could have kept Richaun Holmes and DeAnthony Melton, and still brought in Cam Payne.

Luka-Booker-Bridges-Crowder-Holmes with Payne-Melton-Cam off the bench. Throw in a backup stretch 5 and that’s an awesome team.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:55 am
rhylek wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:18 am
I think Luka is ultra competitive and he would have meshed very well with Booker. They have a similar mindset. We wouldn’t have Ayton and probably wouldn’t have CP3, but we could have still signed Crowder and drafted Bridges and Cam. We could have kept Richaun Holmes and DeAnthony Melton, and still brought in Cam Payne.

Luka-Booker-Bridges-Crowder-Holmes with Payne-Melton-Cam off the bench. Throw in a backup stretch 5 and that’s an awesome team.
I would take this team over that one any day that ends in "y."
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Not sure where to put this, but the reactions during the Draft Lottery were comedy gold.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.