Around the League: Week 14 3/22-3/28

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Around the League: Week 14 3/22-3/28

Post by Indy »

And Dallas, the team with a star player accused of rape, an organization accused of extreme sexism where the league had to come in and do an investigation, and owned by a crypto-bro, just hired a wife beater to lead the team. smh

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:42 pm
ShelC wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:42 pm
Billups getting hired by the Blazers. Some backlash because of a rape charge from 1997.

And not just a charge of rape. He paid off the woman involved. There is a high probability he did it--especially when you read the accounts on the record.
Yikes.
"Be Legendary."

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Haven't read this but I thought the rumour was Blazers front office willing to risk the backlash to get the coach Dame wants.....

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

My guess is that Lillard does want out anyway but doesn't want to take the hit to his reputation from coming out publicly to say so. So maybe he'll use things like the coaching search as an excuse to ask to leave.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Portland is a difficult place to play for a superstar like Lillard. A large section of the fanbase is wants to have their cake and eat it too.

They want to win a title, but not if it means compromising on their social/political views. For a liberal city that likes to "Keep Portland Weird", they are often quick to judge people who don't fit into their socio-political box and label them as enemies of the fantastical utopia they've built up in their heads.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:55 pm
Portland is a difficult place to play for a superstar like Lillard. A large section of the fanbase is wants to have their cake and eat it too.

They want to win a title, but not if it means compromising on their social/political views. For a liberal city that likes to "Keep Portland Weird", they are often quick to judge people who don't fit into their socio-political box and label them as enemies of the fantastical utopia they've built up in their heads.
Interesting. So you think political leanings have held Portland back from winning a title? Do you have any examples of how this has hurt them?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:44 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:55 pm

Interesting. So you think political leanings have held Portland back from winning a title? Do you have any examples of how this has hurt them?
I wouldn't go as a far to say that the political leanings of the city have held them back from a title. It's just a hurdle that I don't think other NBA organizations have to worry much about.

The best example I can use is with the Portland Timbers, the MLS club. There was a lot of ANTIFA/Proud Boys drama pre-COVID, and the clubs most dedicated supporters made it clear that they'd give up their support if the club didn't take a hard stance against right-wing politics. Part of that issue arose because of a mandate by MLS banning political imagery in stadiums, and the Timbers Army (large supporters section of the stadium) has always used a lot of anti-fascist imagery in their signs and banners. So from their perspective, MLS was putting anti-fascism in the same box as, well, fascism. This could've potentially affected the club's revenue and thereby limiting their roster budget and profitability.

MLS and NBA are financially and culturally very different leagues, but few MLS clubs identify with their supporters to the same degree as Portland Timbers, and the foundation of that identity comes from the citizens themselves who're also typically fervent Trailblazers fans.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Hardaway hasn't been anything special as a college coach at Memphis, but sure, let's give him an NBA head coaching job.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Barkley said on Inside the NBA tonight that he thinks the Bucks are the best team left in the playoffs. I've never felt more confident we would win it all.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:30 pm
Barkley said on Inside the NBA tonight that he thinks the Bucks are the best team left in the playoffs. I've never felt more confident we would win it all.
Has he got anything right? I feel like he’s missed on every prediction he’s made.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Barkley is the best free NBA betting advice you'll ever get.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Mori Chu wrote:
I've watched a lot of the Bucks games. They're really not that good. Ayton's going to be brutal on Lopez. Suns have the defensive guys to work over Middleton and Giannis. You can hide guys on Tucker. Holiday is so hit and miss.

Suns have beaten the Bucks in the regular season the last few years, and seem especially well suited here. Their offense devolves into isos so often, and doesn't feel particularly complicated. It's why a crippled NJN could take them to 7.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Wormwood wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:29 am
Mori Chu wrote:
I've watched a lot of the Bucks games. They're really not that good. Ayton's going to be brutal on Lopez. Suns have the defensive guys to work over Middleton and Giannis. You can hide guys on Tucker. Holiday is so hit and miss.

Suns have beaten the Bucks in the regular season the last few years, and seem especially well suited here. Their offense devolves into isos so often, and doesn't feel particularly complicated. It's why a crippled NJN could take them to 7.
:? :? :?

Now I am worried.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

The Bucks would be a lot of cross matching on defense I think. The Hawks would be more straight up defensive matchups.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:04 am
The Bucks would be a lot of cross matching on defense I think. The Hawks would be more straight up defensive matchups.
The cross matching would favor us, generally. You can stick your weakest link on defense on Tucker. You can't do that as much on the Suns: even Crowder will light you up if he's guarded by a PG. Tucker's 6'5", and doesn't have the skills or speed to really hurt if we leave Booker on him. He has one tool his arsenal: the three pointer. If Booker stays home on him (mostly) you can get away with a lot on the rest of the court.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I would absolutely be okay playing the Bucks. I’m actually more worried about the Hawks. Let’s get a fourth win first though here.

Split T

Post by Split T »

This could be kinda scary…Curry/Klay/Wiggins/Siakam/Green is very formidable.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Hmm. Does that say anything about their views of Wiseman? I guess he's no Ayton in their eyes. :D
"Be Legendary."