Around the League: Week 14 3/22-3/28

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Flagrant Fowl

Re: Around the League: Week 14 3/22-3/28

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

AFAIK, surgically repairing a partially torn ACL is essentially the same as a reconstruction. So he's on the Dario Saric recovery timeline.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

pickle

Post by pickle »

So he will be out most if not all of next year? Damn.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

pickle wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:36 pm
In2ition wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:58 am
Isn't this typical Pop behavior and how he likes to groom his team? They start off slow, looking bad, and then they start to gel. Unfortunately, he doesn't have until May to get them in championship form to win multiple 7 game series. Maybe he doesn't realize that, just like he doesn't realize that the USA team actually does usually blow these teams out in exhibition. Losing to Nigeria is not really a thing we've ever seen before. Having a close game to Nigeria is not something we've ever seen before. Pop, pull you head out of your ass and get this team together and stop being an ass to the reporters. This isn't the NBA, and you aren't a king of shit. You don't have 5 months to get it going.
What is his alternative though? Throw his players under the bus? He might have been pissed off, and he hasn't ever had a good track record of giving the media sound bites that we all know they want to hear, but given that this team was thrown together literally at the last second, and they clearly don't communicate well on defense, I think Pop is doing the right thing by deflecting attention away from their general discombobulation and making the story a slight bit more about himself.

US will be okay. We'll never see the type of dominance from the Dream Team ever again, but this team will eventually get its act together. Not to say that it's a sure bet to win the Gold, but what we saw on the court for the first two exhibition games are not what the US is capable of.
The alternative is to be a decent human being when talking to the media, and you're fucking wrong about Team USA used to blow these teams out. Why does he have to act like an arrogant pos? It's his teams that are under preforming, just like they did two yrs ago. He took the L, act a little humble about it and learn the history of Team USA. He's not getting these guys ready, and maybe his process takes too long. This isn’t the NBA 82 game season and 7 game playoff series. If he’s deflecting the blame, it's not to take away from the players, it's to take it away from himself too.

This team should absolutely be able to roll these teams and get the Gold. There isn't another team even close to them in talent.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

pickle

Post by pickle »

I really think that's underselling the talent level and hard work that the other national teams have put together and put in, to say that because there's a higher individual talent level that this team should just roll to the Gold.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

This isn't meant to be a slight toward Luis Scola, but Argentina can't go far if they're starting him and counting on him to be an impact player.

He's 41 years old. :shock:
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

We invented the game and shared it with the world. I’m not upset that they fell in love with the game too and learned to play it well. They have to earn the gold now, not just show up like the first Dream Team. The world has caught up. I think it’s great.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:05 pm
This isn't meant to be a slight toward Luis Scola, but Argentina can't go far if they're starting him and counting on him to be an impact player.

He's 41 years old. :shock:
Wouldn't mind giving him an offer as an assistant coach tho to teach Ayton and Stix about post footwork...

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:36 pm

The Clippers are in trouble from a roster building standpoint.
They new darn good and well he was never coming back in the playoffs, yet they strung it along and announced he was out game by game. This should not be allowed.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I don't really think it mattered. And based on what I've heard through various podcasts, even the Clippers are often in the dark when it comes to Kawhi's health.

Indy

Post by Indy »

pickle wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:33 pm
I really think that's underselling the talent level and hard work that the other national teams have put together and put in, to say that because there's a higher individual talent level that this team should just roll to the Gold.
exactly

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

pickle wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:33 pm
No, it's not a slight to them. Unless you genuinely believe that the talent level of the other teams is comparable. Durant, Beal, Dame, & Bam w/ Pop coaching & the scouting involved should be able to make quick work of teams. It's on them, if they aren't taking these teams seriously.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

It is pre-season basketball, In2.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I mean, the core problem is that everyone involved in USA Basketball thinks they are doing the team and country a favor by showing up. They think they can just show up and roll the ball out and go win every game because they are more talented. These other countries put their teams together far in advance, full of guys who have played together for years and complement each other well, and they take it seriously. Should we? I don't know.

Lots of folks say that the real problem is that we can't convince the best NBA players to play for the team, so we end up sending our B-squad. But I think the team has plenty of talent and plenty of representation from the league's best. You can argue that the pieces don't fit together well (we don't have enough playmaking or size), but it isn't for lack of talent when they have guys like Durant, Lillard, and Tatum.

The real problem is that you can't just throw together a random team of stars with no ramp-up and expect them to play great team basketball.

I'm not necessarily suggesting that we do some intensive Olympic prep with the NBA's stars. That probably wouldn't work given the calendar and workload. But maybe start bringing in some college guys who are just ending their NCAA careers, some guys on NBA teams that didn't make the playoffs, and just get more of a mix of guys who really want to be there and are willing to put in several months' work to get ready. I don't know. Anything but the way it's done now.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I agree the talent gap is closer than people might want to admit but yes their squad is still superior.

My thing though as others have said is the chemistry. It can be argued that USA talent on offense they will figure it out which is fair but I saw interesting breakdowns on my timeline referencing Defense.

Most would look at individual defenders and the squad is decent in that regard but Team D is something totally different. That comes with Reps, the whole D on a string theory, communication, knowing each other rotations so that it is all seamless and you not caught reacting.

We can look at the Suns, it took a while for us to start eliminating the mental n communication breakdowns so that I think that is a bigger issue with the short time they are together more than they figuring it out on O.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Maybe Jerry should have fired Pop after the worst performance in Team USA history in the 2019 World Cup.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Feels like the Valley Jerseys stock been the one of the main fan griefs recently
See that alot on my timeline

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

Yeah, I haven't been able to get a Valley jersey or an orange one all season long. I had a Bridges orange one on order from the Suns Team Shop early in the season, but then then cancelled it saying they were out of stock. I'd love a Paul Valley jersey.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

You guys know I've been trying to purchase an authentic Book Valley jersey for a while now. They're just not available. And like I said, the kid in the team store in the arena said they've been out of stock for 4 months! I don't get it.
"Be Legendary."