Around the League: Week 14 3/22-3/28

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
bajanguy008

Re: Around the League: Week 14 3/22-3/28

Post by bajanguy008 »

SunsRIt
Yes there is a Bahamian national team with Ayton n Buddy Hield being the most famous guys. I think Hield might have played in a tournament before but not sure of DA

Either way they are not going to be at the Olympics. It's quite hard, and tbh basically impossible for the English speaking Caribbean teams :? :oops:

When you play the regional tournament, the top 2 or 3 teams advance to the Americas Cup which is how you qualify for the Olympics. That tournament is the Caribbean along with Central, South and North America so yea then you face the USA, Canada, Brazil, Argentina and so on. Although islands like Bahamas n Jamaica usually have a squad with college n pro players (Europe), it's hard to get into those top spots n qualify
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:56 pm
SunsRIt
Yes there is a Bahamian national team with Ayton n Buddy Hield being the most famous guys. I think Hield might have played in a tournament before but not sure of DA

Either way they are not going to be at the Olympics. It's quite hard, and tbh basically impossible for the English speaking Caribbean teams :? :oops:

When you play the regional tournament, the top 2 or 3 teams advance to the Americas Cup which is how you qualify for the Olympics. That tournament is the Caribbean along with Central, South and North America so yea then you face the USA, Canada, Brazil, Argentina and so on. Although islands like Bahamas n Jamaica usually have a squad with college n pro players (Europe), it's hard to get into those top spots n qualify
That being said, I would think that a team built around Hield and Ayton should be as strong as any team other than the US and Argentina.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Was the lead assistant I believe under Bird 20 years ago then went to Detroit when Donnie gave the job to Isiah, which he's since admitted was a mistake

Split T

Post by Split T »

ShelC wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:11 am
Was the lead assistant I believe under Bird 20 years ago then went to Detroit when Donnie gave the job to Isiah, which he's since admitted was a mistake

Took the job when they let Isiah go as well. Coached them from 2003-2007, then went to Dallas in 2008.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

True. I thought he had a stint with the Pacers once before.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

virtual9mm wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:38 am
bajanguy008 wrote:
SunsRIt

That being said, I would think that a team built around Hield and Ayton should be as strong as any team other than the US and Argentina.
Thanks for the info bajanguy. Apreesh!

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

SunsRIt wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:38 pm
virtual9mm wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:38 am
bajanguy008 wrote:
SunsRIt

Thanks for the info bajanguy. Apreesh!
Np SunsRIt ✌️👍

I get what you are saying virtual but those national team commitments are now much bigger. Team chemistry always tends to be a big deal in these tournaments as seen by USA emphasis on having a longer Camp now instead of just bringing talents together

So it would probably take more than having two very good NBA players to challenge and then you might be forgetting how many young players in the NBA are on Canada's team.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I will read this
Not before tonight's game though lol but just sharing for those who might be interested

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I would listen to Scottie Pippen reading the phone book.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:18 pm
I would listen to Scottie Pippen reading the phone book.
And I value nothing he has to say.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I'm finally reading this.
Pippen is tired of playing the second fiddle. And he’s willing to make that known. His announcement earlier this year that he would be publishing a tell-all account of his time with the Bulls was striking for a player who’s rarely gone in depth about his past. And in the first time since that declaration, he dives into his claims about the Bulls: how he was the “real leader” of the organization, how he deserved more respect from the press and the front office, and how he, not Jordan, “earned” the credit for the Bulls’ historic rise.
Wait...what?!
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

And then there's this gem:
Interesting you mentioned Charles Barkley, because he once said that he would “get arrested for murder” if you didn’t apologize to him for calling him “fat” after your breakup with the Rockets.

I wish he woulda went through with it. I never apologized to him, but I’ll tell you what: He only got arrested for throwing some little white guys out of a window. I ain’t never seen him fight a Black man unless there were referees around. He plays his role like he’s tough. I don’t know nobody he done whooped. Go back and check his record. Did I apologize to him? I told him to get me the hell out of there. That’s what I recall.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

And finally, this only takes away from his legacy:
Going back to those nineties games, you took yourself out of the Knicks 1994 playoff game with 1.8 seconds left. What actually happened? Why’d you refuse to go in the game?

I don’t think it’s a mystery, you need to read between the fine lines. It was my first year playing without Michael Jordan, why wouldn’t I be taking that last shot? I been through all the ups and downs, the battles with the Pistons and now you gonna insult me and tell me to take it out? I thought it was a pretty low blow. I felt like it was an opportunity to give [Kukoc] a rise. It was a racial move to give him a rise. After all I’ve been through with this organization, now you're gonna tell me to take the ball out and throw it to Toni Kukoc? You’re insulting me. That’s how I felt.

You talking about Phil Jackson?

Yeah. Go back and look at it and you can see it. It was my team. Why are you telling me to take the ball out on a game-tying shot. It wasn’t even a game-winning shot. Why are you trying to let him be the hero? He ain’t the leader of this team. No. You trying to make him a hero to hit that shot. If he misses, he playing wit’ house money. He playing what I done earned here. Okay? I have been earning this for Michael Jordan for years and he gets the last shot. And I’m supposed to step inside and let Kukoc get in there? [Scoffs.] Do you understand English? Oh. Okay. Exactly.
And he's sitting there talking about being a team player?
"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:21 am
Going back to those nineties games, you took yourself out of the Knicks 1994 playoff game with 1.8 seconds left. What actually happened? Why’d you refuse to go in the game?

I don’t think it’s a mystery, you need to read between the fine lines. It was my first year playing without Michael Jordan, why wouldn’t I be taking that last shot? I been through all the ups and downs, the battles with the Pistons and now you gonna insult me and tell me to take it out? I thought it was a pretty low blow. I felt like it was an opportunity to give [Kukoc] a rise. It was a racial move to give him a rise. After all I’ve been through with this organization, now you're gonna tell me to take the ball out and throw it to Toni Kukoc? You’re insulting me. That’s how I felt.

Yeah. Go back and look at it and you can see it. It was my team. Why are you telling me to take the ball out on a game-tying shot. It wasn’t even a game-winning shot. Why are you trying to let him be the hero? He ain’t the leader of this team. No. You trying to make him a hero to hit that shot. If he misses, he playing wit’ house money. He playing what I done earned here. Okay? I have been earning this for Michael Jordan for years and he gets the last shot. And I’m supposed to step inside and let Kukoc get in there? [Scoffs.] Do you understand English? Oh. Okay. Exactly.
People brought up that play after the Valley Oop. Can you imagine if Booker had said, "No way, I'm not setting a screen for Ayton! This is my team! I've earned the final shot! I'm subbing myself out."
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:52 am
Superbone wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:21 am

People brought up that play after the Valley Oop. Can you imagine if Booker had said, "No way, I'm not setting a screen for Ayton! This is my team! I've earned the final shot! I'm subbing myself out."
Great point!
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I think Pippen has made some valid points at times about the media perception about the Bulls and MJ, but he also comes off as still so petty and insecure. As much as he tries to project the fact that's happy and at peace, it just doesn't seem that way. He's still talking about Barkley stuff from 25-30 years ago and taking shots at today's players.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Billups getting hired by the Blazers. Some backlash because of a rape charge from 1997.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Well Shel

I might have to say LOTS OF backlash not some :oops:
It's been all over my timeline since yesterday

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:42 pm
Billups getting hired by the Blazers. Some backlash because of a rape charge from 1997.

And not just a charge of rape. He paid off the woman involved. There is a high probability he did it--especially when you read the accounts on the record.