Game Day (EARLY START!): Suns (30-14) @ Hornets (23-21), Sun 3/28/21

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: Game Day (EARLY START!): Suns (30-14) @ Hornets (23-21), Sun 3/28/21

Post by ShelC »

The Bobster wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:36 pm
I don't have a lot of faith in Monty's ability to make (or at least implement) in-game adjustments.

While Eddie Johnson is telling us the Suns are stagnant and not moving the ball and shooting too many 3's. The Suns never seem to make those adjustments. They also never seen to ride the hot hand (unless it's Booker or Paul) and they aren't able to take advantage of mismatches consistently.

Monty is probably great with keeping the players happy and building a "good culture" but we've seen them come out with some lackluster efforts against some of the league's bottom feeders and we've seen them piss away big leads too often against lesser teams.

These things are going to have to change when expectations are higher than they were coming into this season.
I've been pleasantly surprised with Monty's Xs and Os and adjustments but the late game offense definitely needs refreshing. I don't know how you can watch all those possessions of ISO and think that's the way to win a game. Thing is, there's just no practice time so it's just going to be film and try to execute in the next game.

Also not sure how I feel about Craig yet. I'm worried about his offense and worried he's going to junk it up. He's a 3-D guy, like Jae, so we lose a ball mover by not having Dario, Cam or Frank at the 4spot which seems to be what we're missing at times. Monty even went small with Craig at the 5, which I get if the Hornets are running small, but I just don't want to see Monty fall in love with this guy and think he's our PJ Tucker, as if that's some answer.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I haven't watched enough of him to be sure, but I think I like Craig. He's bigger than Nader, and less reckless with the ball. Nader will flash with a great aggressive play or two and eventually go off the rails for a turnover binge. Craig seems to pick his spots better offensively while being active like Nader on defense.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Nader's at least fundamentally sound. Craig's had a few wild drives and bad shots of his own so far, the kind we typically don't see from our players and our offense. If Monty's sacrificing clean offensive play for defense and hustle, that's his decision obviously.

azsportsfan

Post by azsportsfan »

Nader is a higher-BB-IQ Josh Jackson. The motor is always on the redline, but you don't end up shaking your head as much.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think overall I like Nader better. Nader is quite good at attacking the basket and has much better handles.
He helps create shots which is sorely needed when our starting backcourt is resting. Craig is a better defender and stronger, so he would be more useful in defensive situations at ends of games. It's nice to have both of them to use as needed.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I am not sure the name of a nightmare that turns out to be not horrible when it is all over. But whatever that name is, that's what this game was.

pickle

Post by pickle »

I like that Craig mixes it up inside. Of the two games I've watched where he got reasonable rotational minutes, he's gotten in the paint and went after rebounds both on the offensive and defensive end, and that's quite useful to this team with all of our non-Ayton rebounding issues. He's also able to defend bulkier players, even if he's not as long as Nader. He's definitely had a couple of wild drives with terrible decision making and outcome in that Charlotte game, and his 3 point game does not make me feel particularly good. In a way he reminds me a bit of Eric Bledsoe without the ball handling skills. But he's also on a minimum contract so I can't complain. I'm quite happy to have him on the team.

I think Charlotte has something interesting going with their small ball lineups. Their "bigs" are all very mobile and active, and instead of going over Ayton, they use switches to get him away from the basket and attack the offensive glass relentlessly with a slew of athletic and powerful 6'7 / 6'8 guys who our string beans have trouble blocking out. Their players are very aggressive... I remember the one play where Biyombo just shoved Booker out of the paint for a rebound, resulting in a foul obviously, but that's the type of rebounding disadvantage we end up in, with Booker trying to block out Biyombo.

Our wings are very versatile, but none of them can be considered powerful. Craig might be the one that comes closest to that description.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:40 pm
Cap wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:46 am
Neither having a century-old recipe, being brewed in Mexico, nor being originated by a German brewmaster is a particularly distinguishing feature.
That reminds me. Anybody else getting tired of the singing hood ornament?
What is this in reference to? Both Cap's post and yours Bone, I don't get it at all...

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

pickle wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:12 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:40 pm
Cap wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:46 am
Neither having a century-old recipe, being brewed in Mexico, nor being originated by a German brewmaster is a particularly distinguishing feature.
That reminds me. Anybody else getting tired of the singing hood ornament?
What is this in reference to? Both Cap's post and yours Bone, I don't get it at all...
They are commercials that are repeated ad nauseum on the Fox Sports networks that air Suns games.
"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

The awkward Sweet James ads are worse

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:16 pm
C'mon Sauce. You know experience matters.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:24 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:16 pm
C'mon Sauce. You know experience matters.
An eye roll wouldn’t do my reaction justice