Game Day: Jazz (38-12) @ Suns (35-14), Wed 4/7/21

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Charlie Smithy!

Re: Game Day: Jazz (38-12) @ Suns (35-14), Wed 4/7/21

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:43 am
I'm starting to get really optimistic about Ayton's trajectory lately. He seems to have turned a corner as it relates to reducing his bad habits. If he can put forward this kind of performance in the playoffs, the Suns are real contenders.

Now that he's looking better, my biggest worry has shifted to the lack of consistency on the wing. It seems that it's either Mikal, Cam or Crowder every game, but never two or more at the same time. I don't know if the Suns could endure more than one game with all three having an off night in a playoff series.

I do like that Craig seems to be a steady hand at the position. I don't think he'll ever go 4-5 from 3 in 15 minutes and be the difference maker in a close win, but I like that he always seems to be locked in. I also like the potential of using him with Carter because they're both guys who bring a lot of energy to the game. It's not going to look great offensively sometimes, but 3-4 minutes against opposing bench players could be enough.
Don't do that. Don't give me hope.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

One of the things I was happiest to see yesterday with Ayton was how hard he was going late in the 4th and in OT. He’s clearly in much better shape now than earlier in the season when he would have been totally gassed at the same point.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:52 pm
Go back and try to find teams that made the Finals with two little guys as their best players.

I think the most recent is the 2005 Pistons, but it could be debated who were the best two out of Rip, Billups and Rasheed Wallace.

I can't think of a better way to illustrate how much the Suns title hopes rely on Ayton being the player he has for the past couple of weeks.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I have a question for all the Suns fans from back in the 7SOL days, which is practically all of us. This is in relation to the '07 playoffs where Amare & Boris were suspended against the Spurs, because David Stern was a complete hypocrite a-hole. I have some Jazz fans on Twitter that are convinced that they would have won the Title that yr if the Suns beat the Spurs.

Were you guys at any time in the '07 Playoffs worried even a little about the Jazz if the Suns had beaten the Spurs?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:42 pm
Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Go back and try to find teams that made the Finals with two little guys as their best players.

I think the most recent is the 2005 Pistons, but it could be debated who were the best two out of Rip, Billups and Rasheed Wallace.

I can't think of a better way to illustrate how much the Suns title hopes rely on Ayton being the player he has for the past couple of weeks.
That's not a bad comparison actually. Ayton is our Ben Wallace. Not quite as good defensively but better offensively.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:46 pm
I have a question for all the Suns fans from back in the 7SOL days, which is practically all of us. This is in relation to the '07 playoffs where Amare & Boris were suspended against the Spurs, because David Stern was a complete hypocrite a-hole. I have some Jazz fans on Twitter that are convinced that they would have won the Title that yr if the Suns beat the Spurs.

Were you guys at any time in the '07 Playoffs worried even a little about the Jazz if the Suns had beaten the Spurs?
No. Not even a little bit.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:

I don’t remember thinking about the Jazz as any kind of threat anywhere between 04-10...the only reason those Jazz made the WCF is because the 8 seed Warriors upset the Mavs in round 1, giving utah an easy 2nd round matchup.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:22 pm
In2ition wrote:

I don’t remember thinking about the Jazz as any kind of threat anywhere between 04-10...the only reason those Jazz made the WCF is because the 8 seed Warriors upset the Mavs in round 1, giving utah an easy 2nd round matchup.
exactly

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:52 pm
One of the things I was happiest to see yesterday with Ayton was how hard he was going late in the 4th and in OT. He’s clearly in much better shape now than earlier in the season when he would have been totally gassed at the same point.
I swear every close up of Ayton shows his jersey completely soaked through with sweat.

It was great to see him going hard after so many minutes. It is such a huge difference when we would only get energy in 4 minute stretches to start a game or half.

Indy

Post by Indy »

By the way, did everyone see Gobert pop Book in the mouth to start the game? Right after we won the tip, book tried to do that thing of late where he face screens the opposing center and gives Ayton a free run to the hoop for an alley-oop. But Gobert put his forearm right in Book's face. Book stumbled back a bit and grabbed his lip, looked around and saw nobody was going to blow a whistle, and shook it off. I knew he was going to be locked in from that second. I wish we could find a way for someone on the opposing team to hit him in the face at least once early in the game. He gets so much more into it after getting hit.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:36 pm
Shabazz wrote:
I swear every close up of Ayton shows his jersey completely soaked through with sweat.

It was great to see him going hard after so many minutes. It is such a huge difference when we would only get energy in 4 minute stretches to start a game or half.
Last night was a perfect example of how little Ayton’s stats correlate with his impact on the game (maybe blocks would be the most closely correlated).

Anybody that watched last night knows he was the dominant big man on the floor, a force defensively and would be a perennial All-Star if he consistently played with that level of desire.

Anybody looking at the box score sees Gobert got 16 and 18 and assumes he won the matchup. Or sees another game where DA scored 20 and grabbed 10 boards and assumes it was more impactful.

DAs success has only to do with his desire. He can be as good or as forgettable as he wants.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

specialsauce wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:46 pm
Indy wrote:
Shabazz wrote:

Last night was a perfect example of how little Ayton’s stats correlate with his impact on the game (maybe blocks would be the most closely correlated).

Anybody that watched last night knows he was the dominant big man on the floor, a force defensively and would be a perennial All-Star if he consistently played with that level of desire.

Anybody looking at the box score sees Gobert got 16 and 18 and assumes he won the matchup. Or sees another game where DA scored 20 and grabbed 10 boards and assumes it was more impactful.

DAs success has only to do with his desire. He can be as good or as forgettable as he wants.
You're right. DA did outplay Gobert, but I thought Utah's defense really limited the Suns and Booker attacking the rim. You could add this stat too to prove that DA outplayed him.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:22 pm
In2ition wrote:

I never thought for a second that the Suns wouldn't play the Jazz off the floor in a quick series.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:39 pm
By the way, did everyone see Gobert pop Book in the mouth to start the game? Right after we won the tip, book tried to do that thing of late where he face screens the opposing center and gives Ayton a free run to the hoop for an alley-oop. But Gobert put his forearm right in Book's face. Book stumbled back a bit and grabbed his lip, looked around and saw nobody was going to blow a whistle, and shook it off. I knew he was going to be locked in from that second. I wish we could find a way for someone on the opposing team to hit him in the face at least once early in the game. He gets so much more into it after getting hit.
I did see that...Gobert knew it was coming and just plowed through Booker.

How about Rudy pretending to be dead after he jumped into Ayton’s elbow...

I listened to the Russillo podcast today and he ripped Rudy for that...also pointed out that the suns ran 7 straight plays directly at Rudy down the stretch of the game.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:10 pm
Indy wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:39 pm
I did see that...Gobert knew it was coming and just plowed through Booker.

How about Rudy pretending to be dead after he jumped into Ayton’s elbow...

I listened to the Russillo podcast today and he ripped Rudy for that...also pointed out that the suns ran 7 straight plays directly at Rudy down the stretch of the game.
The suns are not afraid of Gobert. They know Utah's whole defense is trying to run you off the 3 pt line so you think you need to get all the way to the cup and that is where Gobert is great. But for teams that are happy to take a 10-12 footer, he just isn't able to come out and help, while also being quick enough to get back (or have enough good teammates to rotate) to take away the cutter and the easy pass. We are very good at hitting mid-range shots, and also at hitting a cutter if you try and come all the way out to the shooter.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Yep, we are actually built really well to beat the Jazz. Not to say that we would, but of the top 5 in the west, they are the team I’d most like to face.

BigLewy

Post by BigLewy »

specialsauce wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:46 pm
Indy wrote:
Shabazz wrote:

DA's game last night goes back to a line I saw on Reddit that is so true. Ayton's ceiling is our ceiling. He plays like he did last night consistently-title contender. He becomes passive and loafs through games-first round fodder. If he can keep that edge, he changes the entire trajectory of this franchise.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:01 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Charlie Smithy! wrote:

That's not a bad comparison actually. Ayton is our Ben Wallace. Not quite as good defensively but better offensively.
The problem is I think Ayton needs to be more like our Rasheed Wallace.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Charlie Smithy! wrote:

What about the Splash Brothers?
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Klay isn't a little guy.