Suns News: Week 17 4/12-4/18

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Suns News: Week 17 4/12-4/18

Post by Indy »

I can't tell you the last time I knowingly chose to listen to that man.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:39 pm
I wouldn't watch that video even if someone were paying me to do it. OK, maybe for like $20.
Man that's $171 per hour...I would watch it all day. :P
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

This is interesting

BKinSJC

Post by BKinSJC »

The Rudy/Mitchell split of votes looks about right. The CP3/Booker split is kind of ridiculous. But, it goes to show how much depends on the power of a particular narrative when it comes to this award.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I can't wait for the NBA media to talk about how Embiid was the real MVP over Jokic because his team made it to the Finals and the Nuggets couldn't get to the WCF.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Harden and LBJ shouldn't get votes. Harden put up numbers in BK but he's not an MVP imo. Luka should be higher. Paul seems about right. Book doesn't put up the numbers or big plays to garner much attention.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Do they not realize the Suns did what they are doing this season in the bubble last season? Booker was the leader of that team, not Chris Paul. I really don’t like all the credit they are giving to Paul. This is Booker’s team, not Paul’s.

Indy

Post by Indy »

SunsRIt wrote:Do they not realize the Suns did what they are doing this season in the bubble last season? Booker was the leader of that team, not Chris Paul. I really don’t like all the credit they are giving to Paul. This is Booker’s team, not Paul’s.
But Paul has won us more games this year than Book.

pickle

Post by pickle »

To be perfectly honest, I really can't get all that worked up about these awards. It's a fact that the Suns don't get much national attention. Doesn't take away from my fandom. I have a 76ers buddy who had some harsh words for Jokic's MVP case, and I couldn't help but laugh.

Ultimately, I want this team to perform to its full potential, and I will celebrate when we win our first ever championship. Other than that, as long as this media attention doesn't impact our ability to draw free agents or make fair trades, none of it matters... If it gives Booker more of a chip on his shoulder, even better.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I am not upset about any of this mvp chatter. Neither Paul nor Booker deserves to be MVP, so who cares? When we do have a transcendent superstar, we get MVP awards. See: Barkley, Nash.

MightyMoog

Post by MightyMoog »

I'd be happy with a Booker All-Nba Selection.

BKinSJC

Post by BKinSJC »

MightyMoog wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:33 pm
I'd be happy with a Booker All-Nba Selection.
Well, if that were to shake out similar to the MVP straw poll numbers, it looks like the guards would be: Lillard and Harden (1st team), CP3 and Luka (2nd team), and Mitchell and Curry (3rd team) -- and Booker would be the next guy up, on the outside looking in, which is beginning to feel familiar after the All-Star games the last couple of years.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I know Curry's had a great season, but given how much time he's missed and the fact that GS may not even make the play-in game it would be hard to justify it.

carey

Post by carey »

6. Chris Paul, once and forever king of the 1-on-2 steal

The Point God, Chris Paul, is fifth all-time in steals, and still swiping 1.5 per game. At that pace (and with good health), he could leap Gary Payton and Michael Jordan late in the 2022-23 season. Catching Jason Kidd at No. 2 is a taller order. John Stockton at the top is unreachable barring, well, Stockton-level longevity.

But I wish we could track steals recorded as last line of defense on fast breaks, because I'm not sure I've seen anyone better than Paul. (Draymond Green is close among current players.)

That's rude. Paul is so smart, thinking so far ahead of most players, that you almost feel he has the advantage when he plainly does not. If you froze that clip when Jake Layman approaches the 3-point arc -- with Jarred Vanderbilt to his right and Paul between them -- and asked me to bet on the outcome, I may well have wagered on Paul deflecting the ball away.

Once Layman passes to poor, overmatched Vanderbilt, it's over. Paul pivots toward Vanderbilt, but it's a ruse. He's fooling Vanderbilt into passing back to Layman. Paul plants on his left foot, and lunges toward Layman with his right arm outstretched. Snatch.

Paul remains one of the league's best defenders at his position. The Suns hide him more on non-threatening wings -- as the Thunder did last season -- but Paul remains impactful as a lurking, clawing help defender.

Devin Booker has probably surpassed Paul as Phoenix's MVP -- even if the advanced stats say otherwise -- but Paul has changed everything about the Suns. Don't sleep on these guys.
From today’s 10 things from Lowe.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Does the narrative about Jokic change if the Nuggs are not in the top 4? I feel like the Lakers can pass them.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:04 am
Does the narrative about Jokic change if the Nuggs are not in the top 4? I feel like the Lakers can pass them.
not enough to matter

jonh

Post by jonh »

In case you were looking for a feel-good story today.

https://arizonasports.com/story/2617902 ... rns-gambo/

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Suns News: Week 13 3/15-3/21
Post Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:13 pm

Oh man
I came back in here looking for replies or at least more info about DA the Father :o

I have so many questions as I don't pay attention or seek out info of dudes personal lives. I know Book been a hot topic for obvious reasons

But is DA sleep deprived learning to handle being a dad
Who's the chick ?? College sweetheart or DA gone get an IG model pregnant :twisted:

All joking aside it's a decent article and maybe this new perspective helps with his growth

Here just thinking about how DA continues to trend up and then I remembered this post I made kinda in jest and just hoping tbh but that's like a month ago now. So I guess it's safe to say that fatherhood is contributing :oops:
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

BAMF

Post by BAMF »

ShelC wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:02 pm
Harden and LBJ shouldn't get votes. Harden put up numbers in BK but he's not an MVP imo. Luka should be higher. Paul seems about right. Book doesn't put up the numbers or big plays to garner much attention.
Hardens attitude in Huston should make him automatically eleminated.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

This team goes as Book goes. I don’t care about the CP3 narrative personally, he’s been great but without Booker we’re not where we are.