Site outage/upgrade

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Site outage/upgrade

Post by Mori Chu »

Hi all, the site went down for several minutes today as I upgraded the software that runs it. A few details for those who are curious:

For those nerds among us who are curious, this site runs using software called PHPBB. PHPBB is based on a programming language named PHP that is installed on the web server. The web hosting for the site is done by my web service provider, a company named DreamHost. They decided to do a forced upgrade of PHP from version 7.2 to 7.4. This broke the PHPBB software because the versions were not compatible with each other.

The PHPBB software had been an older version 3.2, and I had to go update it to the latest version 3.3.3. Doing this took the site offline temporarily. I also backed up the full database of all users and their posts just to make sure I didn't lose anything. The update seems to have mostly worked, though I'm still tracking down a few small quirks. For example, the link bar in gray near the top of the page that says "Board index" doesn't properly show the bread-crumb links to the current forum such as "Suns/NBA". I'll figure it out.

If you encounter any issues using the site today after the upgrade, please let me know in this thread. Thanks!

pickle

Re: Site outage/upgrade

Post by pickle »

Thanks for doing all this Mori!

pickle

Post by pickle »

Not that it matters at all, but for me the avatar is on the right of the posts. Also, the look and feel after the upgrade are pretty sleek.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

By the way, I believe the upgrade has caused Tapatalk integration to work again. For those who like using Tapatalk to browse the site, can anybody confirm if it is working well for you again?

While I was at it, I added a small "Like" button extension. There should be a little red heart on the right side next to each post. Like away!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Thanks Mori! Love the "like" button too!

pickle

Post by pickle »

I also like the "most liked posts" feature at the top of the forum.

In other news, you *can* like your own post!

I'm gonna go back and like a few real posts now to try to push myself out of that top spot.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Thanks, Marty!
"Be Legendary."

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Good work Sir
I definitely don't fall into the Nerd category as I have no clue what you were talking about in your post lol
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Can we get a mug shot of Sarver as a "dislike" button?
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:05 pm
By the way, I believe the upgrade has caused Tapatalk integration to work again. For those who like using Tapatalk to browse the site, can anybody confirm if it is working well for you again?

While I was at it, I added a small "Like" button extension. There should be a little red heart on the right side next to each post. Like away!
I'm a tapatalk user on my phone - it's perfect (no more crossed out quotes, emoji's are visible, images viewable and ShelC's post-game twitter quotes are readable and click through-able).

Hurrah, thanks for handling.

jonh

Post by jonh »

Mori Chu wrote:

Game changer. Now I won't have to rely so heavily on Indy's 10 point scale when I am evaluating post quality.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I really appreciate you hosting the site, dude. You rock!
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

3rdside wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:25 pm
Mori Chu wrote:

I'm a tapatalk user on my phone - it's perfect (no more crossed out quotes, emoji's are visible, images viewable and ShelC's post-game twitter quotes are readable and click through-able).

this is fantastic news. If I don't have a computer, I don't come to this site. Now with tapatalk working, I can check in easier. Like while I am at Suns games!

Indy

Post by Indy »

jonh wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:31 pm
Mori Chu wrote:

Game changer. Now I won't have to rely so heavily on Indy's 10 point scale when I am evaluating post quality.
I have a secret. It isn't a 10 point scale, because nothing is ever perfect. (wouldn't you love to be my kids!)

I have an interview scale that I use in my professional life. I figure you spend anywhere from 30 minutes to 3-4 hours with someone before deciding on hiring them, so how in the hell could you ever know if they are perfect for a role. So my max is 8.

I am a bit more lenient here because I have known some of you for over 20 years. I think I even went up to a 9.8 once.

BAMF

Post by BAMF »

PHP 7.3 and below have had infiltration issues so you will see upgrades with service providers across the board. Dreamhost should have told you around August last year as that is when everyone in the industry started flipping everything over. But you rock Mori as PHPBB can be a pain sometimes.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Indy wrote:
3rdside wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:

this is fantastic news. If I don't have a computer, I don't come to this site. Now with tapatalk working, I can check in easier. Like while I am at Suns games!
Phone, tapatalk and .net the way forward.

Before this upgrade I couldn’t write anything via the app on the phone either so had to go to the .net website instead .. I mean it worked, but it was clunky.

General comment that tapatalk appears to be (or at least was) a pretty clunky app - I regularly have to close it as it freezes my iPhone, then freezes the whole phone sometimes while I’m doing that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pickle

Post by pickle »

Indy wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:07 am
jonh wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:

I have a secret. It isn't a 10 point scale, because nothing is ever perfect. (wouldn't you love to be my kids!)

I have an interview scale that I use in my professional life. I figure you spend anywhere from 30 minutes to 3-4 hours with someone before deciding on hiring them, so how in the hell could you ever know if they are perfect for a role. So my max is 8.

I am a bit more lenient here because I have known some of you for over 20 years. I think I even went up to a 9.8 once.
For some reason I read that as 9.8 ounce and my brain filled in the word steak after. Total non-sequitur...

Indy

Post by Indy »

pickle wrote:
Indy wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:07 am
jonh wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:

For some reason I read that as 9.8 ounce and my brain filled in the word steak after. Total non-sequitur...
I love how specific your brain is that it thought I was talking about such a meticulously weighed steak. Lol

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Missteaks were made.

Indy

Post by Indy »

3rdside wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:21 pm
Indy wrote:
3rdside wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:

Phone, tapatalk and .net the way forward.

Before this upgrade I couldn’t write anything via the app on the phone either so had to go to the .net website instead .. I mean it worked, but it was clunky.

General comment that tapatalk appears to be (or at least was) a pretty clunky app - I regularly have to close it as it freezes my iPhone, then freezes the whole phone sometimes while I’m doing that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you know how to stop Tapatalk from emailing me for every single post on this site?