Game Day: Suns (40-16) @ Bucks (35-21), Mon 4/19/21

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: Game Day: Suns (40-16) @ Bucks (35-21), Mon 4/19/21

Post by ShelC »

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

The Suns are 33-8 in their last 41 games. You win 80% of your games over that long a period of time and you're pretty good.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

My grumpy old man take on the game: I hate the alternate colored uniforms. Why are the Bucks in blue and the Mavs in green?! Don't answer that; I know why. Makes me want to yell at a cloud.

DA: His D on Giannis was good all night and just got better as the game went on. DA held Giannis to only 4 points in the 4th, and kept him well below his average rebounding #s. I feel like a bunch of Giannis' points came against other defenders in the 2nd quarter.

I really want to see a side by side video of the Giannis flop to start the game and DA holding his ground to end it.

DeAndre also did a bunch of good stuff on offense. He caught the ball better, he had a few good plays in traffic.

I LOVED seeing him play through that stinger on his shoulder.

On that final play: That was definitely a foul. It was the right call. I guess the refs realized they couldn't steal this one from us and decided to go home.

Cam Johnson had a good game, and I thought he should have come in for Crowder when Giannis went out in OT. I trust Cam's shooting more, and I didn't think we needed Crowder's strength as much against Tucker. Crowder played well, though so it worked out.

I can't say enough good things about Bridges.

Booker played with good restraint and trust. He pushed enough to keep the defense honest, he defended as well as we've seen him defend, and he mostly didn't kill possessions with over dribbling and bad shots. He shot 4/7 in the 4th and OT combined.

We've only lost to the Bucks once since drafting DA. I hope we see these guys in the finals. :)
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

jonh

Post by jonh »

Just wanted to thank Shelc for providing such good Twitter content.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:53 pm
ShelC wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:06 pm
Get Cam back in the game. We need some juice. Something.
Cam had a very good game. Who was it here that already gave up on him? (bobster...cough ;))
Ha, I meant Cam Payne actually, but Cam Johnson did get some minutes late. Love both Cams tho. Payne's quickness give us another dimension tho and he was slicing right down the lane. He had some pop last night when it looked like everyone else was dragging until OT. CP is a steady hand and can get his midrange whenever he wants but Payne really puts north-south pressure on the defense when he's focused. His float and 3pt shots were working too.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

jonh wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:35 am
Ditto! I always look forward to seeing them especially after a great game like this one.
"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:31 pm
Oh, and not mentioned, Paul passed Magic tonight for 5th all-time in league history in assists. Wow.
If he doesn't miss any games and averages 12.8 assists the final 15 games, he can pass Steve Nash for 3rd place this season.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:43 pm
That Connaughton three on a broken play when the Suns were up 6 was a killer. That timeout without control of the ball was horrible officiating.
For those questioning the foul call, this trumps that.

Giannis fell rolled around with the ball. Lost control of the ball and while it was rolling loose, THE DAMN CREW CHIEF OF THE REFS GRANTS A TIME OUT. WHAT THE HELL?
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:22 am
jonh wrote:
Ditto! I always look forward to seeing them especially after a great game like this one.
LOVE the Twitter content. Probably my favorite part at the end of a Game Day thread. Thanks Shelc!
Last edited by AmareIsGod on Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Let's talk about the final play. Did Holiday foul Booker too? He hid it well if he did. But Coach said he heard a slap on Booker's arm. That would have had to come from Holiday as Tucker just bumped elbows.

Also, I originally watched the Bucks' broadcast and then went back and watched the Suns' from the 4th quarter on. Tucker got away with a foul on Booker on that game tying 3 by Middleton. He set a moving screen and actually shoved Book with his hands. Book had to scramble back to put up a hand while Middleton nailed the 3.

And then there's "the pass". No, not the one to pass Magic, but the one where he went up for a shot and suddenly transported the ball directly behind him to Crowder for a big 3. I had to watch it multiple times and in slow mo to see how he did it. It looks like he goes up for the shot, rotates his hand 180 degrees and then flips it back over his shoulder.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:35 am
Superbone wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:31 pm
Oh, and not mentioned, Paul passed Magic tonight for 5th all-time in league history in assists. Wow.
If he doesn't miss any games and averages 12.8 assists the final 15 games, he can pass Steve Nash for 3rd place this season.
Is it just a regular season stat? Do they keep separate season and playoff stats? I guess so.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

LazarusLong wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:57 am
Superbone wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:43 pm
That Connaughton three on a broken play when the Suns were up 6 was a killer. That timeout without control of the ball was horrible officiating.
For those questioning the foul call, this trumps that.

Giannis fell rolled around with the ball. Lost control of the ball and while it was rolling loose, THE DAMN CREW CHIEF OF THE REFS GRANTS A TIME OUT. WHAT THE HELL?
I couldn't believe it. Even the Buck's announcers were surprised. Then I watched EJ's reaction later. He was incredulous just like you, LL! It's pretty obvious that the ref report will show that was a HUGE mistake.
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:58 am
Superbone wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:22 am
jonh wrote:
LOVE the Twitter content. Probably my favorite part at the end of a Game Day threat. Thanks Shelc!
No prob guys, happy to do it!

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:11 am
Let's talk about the final play. Did Holiday foul Booker too? He hid it well if he did. But Coach said he heard a slap on Booker's arm. That would have had to come from Holiday as Tucker just bumped elbows.

Also, I originally watched the Bucks' broadcast and then went back and watched the Suns' from the 4th quarter on. Tucker got away with a foul on Booker on that game tying 3 by Middleton. He set a moving screen and actually shoved Book with his hands. Book had to scramble back to put up a hand while Middleton nailed the 3.

And then there's "the pass". No, not the one to pass Magic, but the one where he went up for a shot and suddenly transported the ball directly behind him to Crowder for a big 3. I had to watch it multiple times and in slow mo to see how he did it. It looks like he goes up for the shot, rotates his hand 180 degrees and then flips it back over his shoulder.
That was an amazing pass
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

I really wish that was the pass that put him ahead of Magic. It would have been so fitting.

(And I just have to say that we all know if Magic didn't have to cut his career so short, he would be above even Stockton in assists.)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:20 pm
I really wish that was the pass that put him ahead of Magic. It would have been so fitting.

(And I just have to say that we all know if Magic didn't have to cut his career so short, he would be above even Stockton in assists.)
Crowder had even mentioned before the record breaking assist that he wanted to be on the other end of it. SO close.
"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Indy wrote:

I don't know about that. He would have had to play almost 8 more full seasons at 9 assists per game.

Stockton led the league in assists for 9 straight years and then averaged about 8.5 assists for 7 years after that.

Even projecting that Magic didn't miss time due to HIV, very few players have ever had the durability of Stockton.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:36 pm
Indy wrote:

I don't know about that. He would have had to play almost 8 more full seasons at 9 assists per game.

Stockton led the league in assists for 9 straight years and then averaged about 8.5 assists for 7 years after that.

Even projecting that Magic didn't miss time due to HIV, very few players have ever had the durability of Stockton.
Maybe not as clear cut as I made it out to be. :lol: But Stockton had the extremely friendly Utah scorers tallying his up, and he still didn't beat Magic's career per game numbers (11.2 for Magic, 10.5 for Stockton).

Could be my bias for Magic's game over Stockton's game coming through.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Indy wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:36 pm
Indy wrote:

Maybe not as clear cut as I made it out to be. :lol: But Stockton had the extremely friendly Utah scorers tallying his up, and he still didn't beat Magic's career per game numbers (11.2 for Magic, 10.5 for Stockton).

Could be my bias for Magic's game over Stockton's game coming through.
Could also be your bias against Utah. You seem to get a dig in every chance you get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I've watched that final Book shot now over and over many times. Book was actually fouled at least 3 times. Once by Holiday and twice by Tucker. Holiday reached in and slapped Book on his left arm. Tucker hit Book's left elbow with his left elbow. He also undercut his space and kicked Book's right foot back as his leg swiped through and undercut him.
"Be Legendary."