Game Day: Suns (42-18) @ Knicks (34-27), Mon 4/26/21

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
pickle

Re: Game Day: Suns (42-18) @ Knicks (34-27), Mon 4/26/21

Post by pickle »

Shabazz wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:59 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:49 pm
ShelC wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:41 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:50 pm
My favorite part about beating the Knicks is beating Knicks fans.
Knicks Twitter is the worst.
It really is.

It's like just being a Knicks fan is a license to have wildly ignorant NBA takes. Some of them are self aware enough that their takes swing between parody and pride, but the lot of them puff their chest out as if just being a Knicks fan somehow makes them smarter than everyone else who watches basketball.

I don't want to cross streams here, but it's strangely similar to conservative Twitter.
Knicks Twitter >>>>>> Lakers Twitter

Lakers Twitter is everything you just described without any humility or sense of humor.
100% true. My experience with Knicks fans has been mostly positive. Completely opposite of my Laker fan experience.

Over the past few years, Warriors fans have been worse than Knicks fans in my personal experience.

Split T

Post by Split T »

My experience is that Jazz fans are the worst...but that’s just a byproduct of proximity.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

There are two types of annoying fan bases, and while they can be equally terrible, their terribleness stems from different roots.

One is the fair-weather type. The types of fans who support their local team when it's going well, but still feel a need to show up to the arena in a LeBron jersey when the Lakers come to town. One of my go-to comments for them is that the jersey reversible, and it says 'Curry 30' on the other side. They're typically the ones who make the lifelong fans look bad. Examples of these teams are the Lakers, Knicks, Warriors (10's), Heat, and Bulls (90's).

The other is the soccer-mom type. They're often lifelong supporters of their team, but they're overly invested because it's the only show in town. They react to everything in extremes because it's always life or death as a sports fan with only one big local team. There isn't another club to boast about to make up for the shortcomings of another. While I find most of these fans less annoying than the previous, they're often too irrational to debate with. Examples of these are the Blazers, Jazz, Thunder, and Kings (00's).

The Suns kind of fall in between those two groups. Phoenix was originally a basketball town populated by people from somewhere else, but now it has all four major sports and several other events like golf tournaments. The lifers can be irrational (checks self post history), and the fair-weather fans will source their Suns fandom from some Booker-Kobe lineage, thus enabling them to still wear a Lakers jersey to a Suns home game. It'll always be a mixed bag in Phoenix.

This isn't to say there aren't exceptions to the two category rule. Take Boston and Philly, for example. Fan bases from those cities have a reputation for being assholes in general, but at least it feels organic with them and therefore doesn't annoy me as much.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Excellent analysis. I have a Philly fan friend who is super defensive about everything remotely perceived as negative towards Philly. Only reason I can talk to him is because I understood and applauded the Hinkie process years. He was super pissed off at anybody who claims that Jokic is more deserving than Embiid for the MVP...

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't want to cross streams here, but it's strangely similar to conservative Twitter.
I'd prefer not to have any criticizing of conservatives or liberals or whatever political tribe in the main area. If you want to do that, come join us in the Politics area where we can treat each other like absolute garbage!

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I've been waiting to make my "So who's still on Avatar Bros island with me ?" post as it seemed lots of folks were getting frustrated with them.

After the 1st half I was like, man this Game Day thread might be a rough read and I might have to come in all defensive :lol: . Glad they responded and that was a solid win 8-)

The usual suspects did their thing but shout out to Frank who had a stretch in the 4th with multiple defensive efforts that were instrumental in our run
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The next man up mentality has been great. Guys that aren't getting minutes are always ready to play.
"Be Legendary."