Suns News: Week 19 4/26-5/2

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Suns News: Week 19 4/26-5/2

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:13 pm
O_Gardino wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:05 pm
Everybody wants to be #1, but I would rather face the Clippers in the second round than the Lakers.
Honestly I’m cool with either. Think we’ll have our work cut out for us in both series
Yep, doesn't matter. You're going to have to go through tough teams to win it all.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:25 pm
Split T wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
Everybody wants to be #1, but I would rather face the Clippers in the second round than the Lakers.
Honestly I’m cool with either. Think we’ll have our work cut out for us in both series
Champions don’t worry about which opponents they want to duck. They beat everybody.

I want HCA throughout, and I don’t care who we have to play as a result.
That's what I'm talking about!
"Be Legendary."

3rdside

Suns News: Week 19 4/26-5/2

Post by 3rdside »

Cap wrote:
Split T wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
Champions don’t worry about which opponents they want to duck. They beat everybody.

I can’t say for sure but I’m pretty sure leBron james adopts the idea that the playoffs are such a grind, so getting max rest before them is a good thing.

Not saying it is either, but he’s only ever played 82 games in a season once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by 3rdside on Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Split T wrote:Well a win tomorrow helps us coast to 2nd still. Unless Utah keeps resting guys, I think they’d get the 1 seed, even if we win tomorrow. Jazz schedule is easier.
This is true

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Cap wrote:
Split T wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:

I'm glad you have that optimism about this squad.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:57 am
Cap wrote:
Split T wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:

I'm glad you have that optimism about this squad.
I mean you kind of have to have that attitude at least as players and a team.
"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/ ... bully-ball
8. When Deandre Ayton and the Suns don't give up
A glance at Ayton's numbers would suggest a disappointing third season, and if the barometer is Luka Doncic, Ayton will always be something of a disappointment. Ayton's scoring is down, and he still doesn't get to the line as much as a behemoth should.

But if you watch, you know he's better -- polished, under control, and a little mean when he needs to be. Ayton remains one of the league's critical swing players -- the only traditional big in the Phoenix Suns' rotation, and the wild card who can propel them toward the championship now and later.Phoenix could face a money crunch soon. Devin Booker is locked into a well-deserved maximum contract. Chris Paul can enter free agency. Ayton and Mikal Bridges will be eligible for extensions this summer; most No. 1 overall picks start negotiations at "max or nothing," and rival executives expect Bridges' deal might approach $20 million per season.

Juggling four huge-money players means entering the luxury tax, and limited resources to fill the roster. Depending on the length of Paul's theoretical next contract, the Suns might face that dilemma in only one season -- 2022-23, the first year of potential new deals for Bridges and Ayton. But cobbling around three big contracts isn't easy, either.

Ayton is incrementally making his case. He has probably made greater strides on defense over the past two seasons than any other player. The addled rookie has become a solid rim-protector who can hang in space.

On offense, he and the Suns stick with it when Ayton has a good matchup in the post -- even after defenders take the first entry pass away.

[VIDEO]

In the past, Ayton may have given up there. He doesn't as often now, and the Phoenix guards don't let him. Phoenix has a ton of slick entry passers -- Paul especially -- capable of lobbing over fronts, and flashing for high-lows.

Ayton's post-up efficiency is middling, but you need every weapon against postseason defenses.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Thanks for that Insider snippet. (Side note: That author way overuses, and misuses, the -- dashes.)

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:26 pm
Thanks for that Insider snippet. (Side note: That author way overuses, and misuses, the -- dashes.)
I think in long form (like novels) or formal communications, I agree. But for something like this, I prefer to read it with em-dashes than commas or colons or even new sentences.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Chris Paul has moved up to #4 in NBA.com's MVP rankings: https://www.nba.com/news/kia-mvp-ladder ... 30-edition

The Suns are the only team with 2 players in the top 10.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Indy

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:41 pm
Chris Paul has moved up to #4 in NBA.com's MVP rankings: https://www.nba.com/news/kia-mvp-ladder ... 30-edition

The Suns are the only team with 2 players in the top 10.
I think that means neither has a shot at winning it. It is Embiid's/Joker's to lose. I think it will be a really close vote between those two.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Bright Side's guide for new bandwagon Suns fans:

https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2020 ... r-new-fans

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 1:00 pm

Nice little history. And I lived through all of it. And I was aware of all but maybe the coin flip and the first 5 years or so of the franchise as I was too young.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 1:43 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 1:00 pm

Nice little history. And I lived through all of it. And I was aware of all but maybe the coin flip and the first 5 years or so of the franchise as I was too young.
I came in just after Nose Candy, although my first in-person game was in 82. I started following the team earnestly in 87-88, and used to have to tape the games on VHS and avoid all radio/TV in the 95-99 seasons as I was working to pay for college and ALWAYS worked during games. Getting home at 1am and preying you haven't used the tape too many times and that your cool 1.5x setting on the fancy VCR will allow you to get a little bit of sleep before your first class.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

“The Suns drafted Neal Walk at #2. Yeah, remember him? Me neither.”

Idiot … Walk is fifth in career rebounding, and has the second highest season rebound total for a Sun. He was a solid offensive center and rebounder.

The author mentions nothing about the 78-79 team, which was a couple of plays away from going to the championship.

For all the headlines about the drug scandal, it was eventually much ado about nothing, given the context of the times. It was more a witch hunt by a publicity seeking county attorney.
Lame article.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Neal Walk was a pretty decent center (he peaked in 1972-73 when he averaged 20 points & 12 rebounds), but he became a vegetarian, lost some weight and was it was downhill from there. After a year-and-a-half with the Jazz he played three years with the Knicks and them moved on to Italy and Israel.

Certainly he was no Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, and the only other stars in the draft were Jo Jo White, who went in the middle of the first round and Bobby Dandridge who went in the fourth round. So it's a choice that is really hard to criticize.
Last edited by The Bobster on Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

LazarusLong wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 4:10 pm
“The Suns drafted Neal Walk at #2. Yeah, remember him? Me neither.”

Idiot … Walk is fifth in career rebounding, and has the second highest season rebound total for a Sun. He was a solid offensive center and rebounder.

The author mentions nothing about the 78-79 team, which was a couple of plays away from going to the championship.

For all the headlines about the drug scandal, it was eventually much ado about nothing, given the context of the times. It was more a witch hunt by a publicity seeking county attorney.
Lame article.
I skimmed it and and didn't see that part. Horrible, lazy journalism. Like bobster said, he had two outstanding years before the vegetarian thing and fall off of play (which I only know about thanks to bobster). When talking about the history of Suns' centers, Walk is often forgotten about in spite of him having the best two years a Suns center has posted unless you want to count Amare as a center. (I don't recall Adams numbers off the top of my head but he was also a center in a forward's body.)

ETA: Just looked up Adam's stats. Funny enough, it appears that he had the best stats of his career in his rookie year, 1975 (might explain him getting rookie of the year ;)) :

19 points, 9.1 boards, 5.6 assists, 1.5 steals, 1.5 blocks

BTW, this season was my first as a full fledged Suns fan if memory serves me right. I remember that year well, anyway.
"Be Legendary."

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

And no mention of the Connie Hawkins signing, which catapulted the Suns from a uninteresting expansion team into a national story.
Hawk was a mythic figure who had previously operated in the Twilight Zone of pro basketball ... ABL and startup ABA.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

LazarusLong wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 9:45 pm
And no mention of the Connie Hawkins signing, which catapulted the Suns from a uninteresting expansion team into a national story.
Hawk was a mythic figure who had previously operated in the Twilight Zone of pro basketball ... ABL and startup ABA.
Yeah, very light on the early years of the franchise. Mostly due to ignorance and unwillingness to do any research. I read the book “Foul!” as a kid that told Hawkins’ life story up until finally making into the NBA and the Suns in his later, past prime, years.
"Be Legendary."

BKinSJC

Post by BKinSJC »

Superbone wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 11:58 pm
LazarusLong wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 9:45 pm
Yeah, very light on the early years of the franchise. Mostly due to ignorance and unwillingness to do any research. I read the book “Foul!” as a kid that told Hawkins’ life story up until finally making into the NBA and the Suns in his later, past prime, years.
I read Joe Gilmartin's "The Little Team That Could" until my copy fell apart, so I know at least everything that was in that book about the early years of the franchise. Seems to be out of print now, it's a shame.