Suns News: Week 20 5/3-5/9

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
bajanguy008

Re: Suns News: Week 20 5/3-5/9

Post by bajanguy008 »

Yea the turnover on the spin happens to the best of them when you trying to push the ball and defender steps in quickly. If the ref doesn't call a block for defender not giving the player enough room to turn it's usually a charge or travel.
Was desperate by Melo because he didn't wanna run back but it worked.

What concerns me though is his reads in the half court. For example the other late turnover, he called Dario up to screen to the sideline instead of to the middle and that's how Covington was able to knock the ball from behind because he didn't give himself much room to operate.

Too many times he gets in jail by not making the first read or quick read then he has to struggle to get the pass off. I know he tries to mimick CP3 keeping the defender on the hip move but I think he also gets himself in trouble with that. So yea gonna be interesting to see how he handles being 1A on the scouting report in these series

I understand there's room for growth and this will be a learning experience regardless but man I really want dude be on his "A" game and show what he can do.
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I was just going thru that thread and starting to digest it. I think we rate Book accordingly and know he can get better but we also need our role players to come thru - same as most any other star. I think he's got the mentality, competitiveness and shotmaking ability to be a #1. We've seen it so far.

I was actually looking at CJ McCollum's stats last night and he and Book are almost the same - CJ shoots better from 3. So if you put CJ on this team in the backcourt with CP, are we better?

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Booker does one thing really well - he can create his own shot. The only other player on the team that really does that consistently is Paul. On the flip side, the analytics aren't particularly kind to Booker -

WIN SHARES
Paul 9.0
Ayton 8.4
Bridges 7.7
Booker 4.8

PER
Paul 21.3
Ayton 20.3
Booker 19.2
Bridges 16.2

VORP
Paul 3.6
Bridges 2.8
Ayton 1.6
Payne 1.2
Crowder 1.2
Booker 1.1

OFFENSIVE RATING-DEFENSIVE RATING (DIFFERENCE)
Bridges 130-112 (+18)
Ayton 127-109 (+18)
Paul 124-111 (+13)
Payne 121-112 (+9)
Craig 119-110 (+9)
Kaminsky 117-110 (+7)
Galloway 119-115 (+4)
Carter 116-112 (+4)
Crowder 113-11 (+2)
Nader 111-111 (0)
Johnson 112-113 (-1)
Sarić 111-114 (-3)
Booker 110-114 (-4)
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

ShelC wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 7:59 am
I was just going thru that thread and starting to digest it. I think we rate Book accordingly and know he can get better but we also need our role players to come thru - same as most any other star. I think he's got the mentality, competitiveness and shotmaking ability to be a #1. We've seen it so far.

I was actually looking at CJ McCollum's stats last night and he and Book are almost the same - CJ shoots better from 3. So if you put CJ on this team in the backcourt with CP, are we better?
They're essentially the same player. I don't think it moves the needle much in either direction.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Split T

Post by Split T »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 7:49 am
Yea the turnover on the spin happens to the best of them when you trying to push the ball and defender steps in quickly. If the ref doesn't call a block for defender not giving the player enough room to turn it's usually a charge or travel.
Was desperate by Melo because he didn't wanna run back but it worked.

What concerns me though is his reads in the half court. For example the other late turnover, he called Dario up to screen to the sideline instead of to the middle and that's how Covington was able to knock the ball from behind because he didn't give himself much room to operate.

Too many times he gets in jail by not making the first read or quick read then he has to struggle to get the pass off. I know he tries to mimick CP3 keeping the defender on the hip move but I think he also gets himself in trouble with that. So yea gonna be interesting to see how he handles being 1A on the scouting report in these series

I understand there's room for growth and this will be a learning experience regardless but man I really want dude be on his "A" game and show what he can do.
Noticed this a lot too. The double comes and it’s like he wants to see if he can beat it first. Or he’s looking for an even better read. I just want him to quickly move the ball to the open player. I know teams are probably just trying to get him to give up the ball, and in that sense it’s allowing the defense to “win,” but Booker has not done well against those traps lately.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I just bought Phoenix Suns playoff tickets. (nobody could have posted this honestly for over 10 years)

Split T

Post by Split T »

I don’t think it’s much that Booker needs. Playing more off ball, you’d expect higher efficiency, but he’s actually regressed a bit there. I think a lot of it is from less fta and a lower ft%. The easiest way for him to get his efficiency back up would be to turn into the 3pt shooter everyone thinks he is. At this point, he’s a below average shooter from 3.

BPM/VORP don’t like him because he’s not a stat sheet stuffer. He doesn’t rebound(we don’t ask him to, we want him leaking out for the break), he doesn’t get defensive stats, and his assists have dropped with CP3 here, but we didn’t see a similar drop in turnovers.

Cut down the turnovers, bump the efficiency back up to over .600 TS and I’ll be happy.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 8:14 am
I just bought Phoenix Suns playoff tickets. (nobody could have posted this honestly for over 10 years)
Nice! Just available for season ticket holders at the moment, right? I’ll have to keep an eye out for when they open them up to everyone.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Indy wrote:
I haven't travelled to the US in 18yrs :?
I turned 40 this year and started having the old man thoughts like Bucket List stuff smh lol which a Suns game was one of those things

Just not sure if I'm really looking to travel now after the last year and a half of Covid madness :x

That's great though man
Game 1 ?

Indy

Post by Indy »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 8:24 am
Indy wrote:
I turned 40 this year and started having the old man thoughts like Bucket List stuff smh lol which a Suns game was one of those things

Just not sure if I'm really looking to travel now after the last year and a half of Covid madness :x

That's great though man
Game 1 ?
Not just game 1. You have to put the order in for every possible game. So technically I bought NBA Finals tickets, too. :shock:

And I hear you about old man stuff. I am half way to 90. :) But yeah, if you haven't been vaccinated, I wouldn't be going to airports and getting on long flights.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 8:18 am
Indy wrote:
Nice! Just available for season ticket holders at the moment, right? I’ll have to keep an eye out for when they open them up to everyone.
I think so. Just opened to me at 8 am today. I think Monday is the full opening.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Indy wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 8:29 am
bajanguy008 wrote:
Indy wrote:

That's great though man
Game 1 ?
Not just game 1. You have to put the order in for every possible game. So technically I bought NBA Finals tickets, too. :shock:

And I hear you about old man stuff. I am half way to 90. :) But yeah, if you haven't been vaccinated, I wouldn't be going to airports and getting on long flights.
Wow
Cool ✌️👍

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Well, what do you know? I was just coming here to complain about Booker. :lol:

He's in quite a shooting slump. Over the last 21 games, he is shooting .263 from deep. His assists are down, too.

I feel like he goes through a little stretch of fatigue every season, but this one is longer. It's also my biggest worry going into the post season.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

For all the love he's finally getting nationally, I think Booker's taken a step back this season.

The 3-point shooting will never not be confusing.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 7:19 am
Book is really good, but he has a lot of room for growth amongst his fellow top tier talent peers. Namely, improved 3pt shooting(pull-up shooting specifically) and better ball control. Too many turnovers. He needs to be better if we are serious title contenders.
That sounds spot on.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 9:27 am
Indy wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 8:29 am
bajanguy008 wrote:
Indy wrote:

That's great though man
Game 1 ?

Wow
Cool ✌️👍
Congrats, Indy. That's awesome!
"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Not worried about this dude. He's a stud:

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Shabazz wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 11:51 am
For all the love he's finally getting nationally, I think Booker's taken a step back this season.

The 3-point shooting will never not be confusing.
I noticed his threes seem to be very flat, with no arc on them. At least lately.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

This is a small channel I came across on YouTube but I like the fact he shows all aspects of the game, just not the points but also misses, rebounds, turnovers and so on.

Always good to see his # getting called at times
0:20 - in bound set play
3:10 - dribble hand off set play
4:07 - back screen and pop set that we usually run with Book n DA, doesn't catch it properly so makes right read to Jae

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

No surprise Pop would sit all his guys lol.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.