Around the League: Week 20 5/3-5/9

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Around the League: Week 20 5/3-5/9

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 10:00 pm
Split T wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 9:57 pm
Jazz won...Lakers lost to Portland and dropped to 7th and gave the tiebreaker to Portland. I think Lakers are pretty locked in to the play-in now. I think we’re playing them round 1 unless we can catch Utah...of course maybe I’m getting too far ahead...Portland still has to play Utah, Denver, and us.
Even if LA finishes at 7 that doesn’t mean they’ll stay at 7. They could easily lose to Golden State and fall to the 8th seed, or even miss the playoffs entirely.
True, I just don’t see that happening if they are healthy.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Indy wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 4:06 pm
I really wish they would add some divisions games to the schedule and lessen the other divisions. Then you give each division lead the top seeds (based on record), then the #2s in each are in, then a play in for the remaining 4 teams with the next best records. It would be a nice balance to allow the divisions leaders to get a spot, and allow the teams with good records but in great/competitive divisions a chance to prove themselves in the play-in.
I don't like using divisions for playoff seeding. Divisions to me seem arbitrary, and there is too much risk of a weak division sending 1-2 teams into the playoffs with undeservedly high seeds. I hated the old system of 10-20 years ago where division leaders automatically got the 1-3 seeds, so you'd have some random team like the Nuggets at #3 despite having the 7th best record or something like that.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

PSA

The numbers in NBA.com box scores are links to specific video compilations and shot charts.

For instance, if you go to the box score from last night and click on Payne's 2 steals, you go to a page with a short video showing both steals. Want to critique Booker's 3pt shot? Click the 4 and watch all 4 of his attempts, with a handy shot chart on the side.

Most of you probably already knew this, but my dumb ass just figured it out.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

ShelC wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 7:09 am
He'll be a better pro than he was a college player. Guys might get tired of his mouth but he's a dangerous young guard.
Yeah, he was terrible at UNC, but I really liked what I saw from him at the Nike Hoop Summit.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

O_Gardino wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 8:25 am
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 1:17 pm
It’s not designed to knock out the 7-8 seeds, but to give more teams a reason to keep playing hard: Most likely #6 needs to keep running just to stay away from it, #7 to catch #6, avoid the play-in and get some rest, #8 and #9 always been there, but #10 and lower (likely all the way to #12) get a chance for a ticket out of non-playoffs failure. If records are close, you can even drag #5 to the fight or make it a run out of the play-in between 6-8.

That and some rest to the top seeds, makes it worthy to me.
Exactly. Right now, the #12 is Sacramento, and they could definitely beat Memphis or Portland in an elimination game. If the Lakers aren't healthy, the Kings could take them, too. Now none of these teams have a reason to coast, and in the rare times when there is an upset, it will be very exciting for us fans.
Cap wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 8:27 am
The play-in is a rest opportunity for 1-6, a little peril for 7-8, and an opportunity for 9-10. Naturally, all the complaints come from teams heading for 7-8.
You guys are nailing it. This is something the NBA is getting right. Look at what we we are seeing from Washington. Today they face off against Indiana. That game actually has intriguing implications.

LeBron is the King of bad takes. I don't agree with those that assert that he should "shut up and dribble," but, on the other hand, he certainly doesn't have immunity when he says something dumb. And he says a lot of dumb things.

Luka was being a baby about it too.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 12:44 pm
Why are Embiid and Jokic eligible to be counted as PF?!

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

ShelC wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 6:06 am
I feel bad for Nash.
Why? Or is that sarcasm?

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 8:31 am
Indy wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 4:06 pm
I really wish they would add some divisions games to the schedule and lessen the other divisions. Then you give each division lead the top seeds (based on record), then the #2s in each are in, then a play in for the remaining 4 teams with the next best records. It would be a nice balance to allow the divisions leaders to get a spot, and allow the teams with good records but in great/competitive divisions a chance to prove themselves in the play-in.
I don't like using divisions for playoff seeding. Divisions to me seem arbitrary, and there is too much risk of a weak division sending 1-2 teams into the playoffs with undeservedly high seeds. I hated the old system of 10-20 years ago where division leaders automatically got the 1-3 seeds, so you'd have some random team like the Nuggets at #3 despite having the 7th best record or something like that.
Agreed. It's one of the few things the NBA does better than the NFL. I hate the 7-9 team who wins their garbage division getting into the playoffs over a 10-6 team.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I say it all the time, I don't watch as much college ball as some of you guys but I really liked yung fella build n athleticism. Only saw highlights so obviously he looked good. Then I watched some early games when he was still coming off the bench behind Beasley and he seemed like a talent who would be a volume scorer but not using his athleticism on D or even caring for facilitating

We played them in PHX and he was kinda going off a bit but again wasn't looking to pass in the slightest. Recently I've seen he been putting up some monster lines with steals and dimes included but haven't actually peeped a game. After all they are still racking up the Ls but he definitely has the tools to be a problem if he puts in the work.
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 12:16 pm
ShelC wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 6:06 am
I feel bad for Nash.
Why? Or is that sarcasm?
Not sarcasm. Just wonder if this is what he signed up for with Kyrie and KD missing games the way they are, then the Harden deal and then him missing games. Can't be easy with so much uncertainty night it and night out, especially with how things are anyway.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Wow some next level trolling here by Bam
This was one of the best plays of the Bubble tho, legit for real

:twisted: :twisted:
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Split T

Post by Split T »

Block still reminds me of Amare’s block on Duncan back in 04-05 WCF

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 11:51 am
Block still reminds me of Amare’s block on Duncan back in 04-05 WCF
Yep, very similar.
"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Can somebody explain the rules to me? How is that not goaltending and/or defensive basket interference?
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 1:25 pm
Can somebody explain the rules to me? How is that not goaltending and/or defensive basket interference?
I believe Tatum/Boston tried to argue that. I think the key is that the ball is still in Tatum’s hand when Bam blocks it...is it a shot if you haven’t released the ball yet?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Tatum is still in contact with the ball when Adebayo initiates the block.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 1:38 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 1:25 pm
I believe Tatum/Boston tried to argue that. I think the key is that the ball is still in Tatum’s hand when Bam blocks it...is it a shot if you haven’t released the ball yet?
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 1:43 pm
Tatum is still in contact with the ball when Adebayo initiates the block.
Exactly. If you call that defensive goaltending, then essentially every dunk is offensive goaltending.