Around the League: Week 20 5/3-5/9

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Around the League: Week 20 5/3-5/9

Post by carey »

Nationally televised games this week

Monday: Golden State @ New Orleans 7:30 PM EST ESPN, Denver @ L.A. Lakers 10:00 PM EST ESPN
Tuesday: Brooklyn @ Milwaukee 7:30 PM EST TNT, Toronto @ L.A. Clippers 10:00 PM EST TNT
Wednesday: San Antonio @ Utah 9:00 PM EST NBATv
Thursday: Brooklyn @ Dallas 7:30 PM EST TNT, L.A. Lakers @ L.A. Clippers 10:00 TNT
Friday: Boston @ Chicago 7:30 PM EST ESPN, L.A. Lakers @ Portland 10:00 PM EST ESPN
Saturday: Washington @ Indiana 7:00 PM EST NBATv, Brooklyn @ Denver 10:00 PM EST NBATv
Sunday: Miami @ Boston 1:00 PM EST ESPN, New York @ L.A. Clippers 3:30 PM EST ESPN, New Orleans @ Charlotte 7:00 PM EST NBATv, Phoenix @ L.A. Lakers 10:00 PM EST NBATv

NBA News

As Lakers season unravels LeBron rips play- in (Sounds like a baby, just like Luka) -https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/313 ... lose-again

Speaking of the baby - Luka Doncic on brink of suspension after receiving two more technical fouls - https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/313 ... ical-fouls

Countdown to playoffs: Suns may be latest to win finals after missing playoffs previous year - https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 913957001/

Power Rankings Roundup

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/313 ... ng-stretch
#1 Phoenix Suns

With their playoff spot already clinched, the only thing left to decide for the Suns is seeding. And Phoenix is shooting for the stars. The Suns have their eyes on the top overall seed. If the Suns can beat out the Jazz and take the No. 1 overall seed into the playoffs, it will be the first time they've done so since 2005, when they were ousted in the conference finals. (Phoenix also secured the No. 1 overall seed in 1981 and 1993.) -- Lopez

This week: @CLE, @ATL, NYK, @LAL
#1 Suns
The Suns moved into the top spot after going undefeated with some big games last week. Phoenix stopped the Knicks' win streak, outlasted the Clippers and tuned up the Jazz. They even managed to avoid the trap game against the Thunder.

Chris Paul has jumped into the MVP conversation with his play down the stretch of close games. He scored the final seven points in their win over the Knicks and helped to seal the win over the Clippers. Paul's 1.6 points in games with a three-point differential with three minutes leads the Suns. His veteran presence keeps Phoenix steady in those situations. Devin Booker is right behind him with 1.5 points; those two combining for 3.2 points is a great duo to have in close games.

The Suns now own not just the top spot of the power rankings but the best record in the NBA. The one thing that may trip up Phoenix is that six of their eight remaining games are on the road.
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba- ... gets-rise/
#1 Suns
The Suns beat the Knicks, Clippers, Jazz and Thunder this week and, ironically, the closest game was against OKC. That's enough to get them to the top spot in this week's Power Rankings, behind 29.3 points per game from Devin Booker. Chris Paul has legitimately entered the MVP conversation -- whatever that means -- putting up 19.5 points and nine assists this week on 61 percent shooting from the field. Phoenix is now tied with Utah for the No. 1 seed in the West, and the best record in the NBA. What a year.
https://theathletic.com/2543574/2021/05 ... -30-teams/
#1 Suns

Weekly slate: Win at Knicks, Win over Clippers, Win over Jazz, Win at Thunder

Prediction for the final stretch/playoffs: Phoenix Suns finish with the top seed, and they handle their business until the second round.

That win over Utah this week was massive for many reasons. Six of their last eight games are on the road, but the Suns have been great all season. Also, the competition in a lot of these final eight games isn’t very tough. Granted, Utah’s schedule the rest of the way isn’t exactly going to have them trembling, but they still have to work their star guard back into the mix. Phoenix, on the other hand, has everything clicking and working in its favor. What a remarkable season for this franchise, and hopefully it’s just the beginning. It’ll be tough if they have to face the Lakers in the second round, but this season is a win for them.

Why are they ranked here? They stopped the Knicks’ winning streak. They took down a solid Clippers team (sans Kawhi Leonard). Then they demolished Utah. The Suns are gunning for that 1-seed, and they’re in prime position to take it. I apologize in advance for the curse, Phoenix.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Re: Around the League: Week 20 5/3-5/9

Post by Superbone »

Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. #1. #1. #1. #1. I never thought I'd see the day!

And this:
"Whoever came up with that s--- needs to be fired," James said.
How DARE we make The King play in a play-in tournament! Oh, you poor, poor baby. Such mistreatment of The King!

And finally, great to have you back, carey! I hope things have improved for you even if just a little bit.
"Be Legendary."

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I know we all keep wondering if our guys should get some rest. If we managed things perfectly so far or playing with fire by going all out. I don't think anyone can be a 100% sure but something must be said for the fact that as a team we seem to be coping well with the rigours of this season

Monty "the Man of Many Quotes" keeping the guys in a good frame of mind ??

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Indy

Post by Indy »

carey wrote: Luka Doncic on brink of suspension after receiving two more technical fouls -
Book isnt far behind.

It starts over in the playoffs?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I'm impressed.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I watched part of the 2nd half, and it didn't look like he was chasing stats. It was very impressive. I don't get how a guy can play with 100% effort for an entire game.

BKinSJC

Post by BKinSJC »

I tuned into New York-Memphis just as the Grizzlies imploded down the stretch at home against the Knicks. After trailing by double digits for a while, Memphis had pulled within 5 at 106-101 with just over two minutes left ... and then gave up a 9-0 run over the next minute that consisted of two Derrick Rose layups and FIVE technical foul free throws (Memphis coach Taylor Jenkins and Ja Morant were both ejected, and Dillon Brooks also drew a T).

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I watched the end of the Lakers/Nuggets game where the Lakers barely held on for the win while going cold down the stretch. Gasol was big for them though.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I'm sure a lot of people would disagree, but I think Gasol is more important to them than Drummond.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Drummond just isn’t very good. Gasol is better at everything except rebounding. I also think he’s more important to them.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

The kid is unique and good for him staying fairly healthy this season

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

The Rockets and Thunder stops were definitely not pretty and were many moments he looked slow and past it
Felt he did Ok last year but this season every time I peep some of their games he's moving well and has been shooting good most of the year. Yes Bron had the freak ankle injury but I don't think it's coincidence that the 3 remaining Banana Boat crew all seem to be in unexpected good shape for 35-36yr olds

I'm sure they are using similar training programs and the diet changes but either way although he might not have many fans on here lol. Tip of the hat to dude

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

His numbers since becoming the starter been solid
Quite the interview here :)

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

He'll be a better pro than he was a college player. Guys might get tired of his mouth but he's a dangerous young guard.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shaqtin a Fool, anyone?

"Be Legendary."

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Superbone wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 11:41 am
Shaqtin a Fool, anyone?

I laughed, glad Bogi didn't hurt himself

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Forgot to post this....

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 11:46 am
Forgot to post this....

Why? That's ridiculous. If you don't like it, play better. You don't get special treatment because you are the Lakers or the Celtics.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Grizzlies' Ja Morant tweets at referee after getting ejected following back-to-back technicals vs. Knicks

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/griz ... vs-knicks/
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 11:55 am
bajanguy008 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 11:46 am
Forgot to post this....

Why? That's ridiculous. If you don't like it, play better. You don't get special treatment because you are the Lakers or the Celtics.
Right, such a stupid post. "If the lakers and celtics don't play well enough to advance in the playoffs, people in the NBA front office should be fired?" Really?